Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible CSX / Dakota Shelby Fabric reproduction, Recaro seat fabric, Interest???

turbo addict

Possible CSX / Dakota Shelby Fabric reproduction, Recaro seat fabric, Interest???

EDIT 6/2014
    I was working with http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ and got them to eventually find a fabric very close to the plain gray, they seemed like they can then add the "SHELBY" onto it. After selling my car, and one of the members here ticking me off about the fabric issue i gave up.

Maybe someone else can get it figured out.
    Last edited by 1BADVAN; 06-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: Possible CSX / Dakota Shelby Fabric reproduction, Recaro seat fabric, Interest???

in the future I'd be in.. most likely closer to the late spring-summer? right now no but yes 100% in the future pending pics on the material.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

Re: Possible CSX / Dakota Shelby Fabric reproduction, Recaro seat fabric, Interest???

These guys- http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ -had original fabric for my 85 GLH-T and said they had alot of fabric from the 70's-90's Dodges in stock. I told them that there is still interest in these items, and told me to he can mail out a 2"x2" sample or you could mail a piece in and they can pull the OEM fabric and see if they have any. They are very reasonable and really work hard to find what you need, I think either way it's great to restore these cars to factory spec. Good luck.

Fuzz

turbo addict
    It will be late spring at least before it is ready. I am going to get the fabric to my guy to make some samples . If they are not as good as he claims it won't work but if it is good i will post pics comparing it to the original

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the fabric for our cars, the Shelby ones is woven into the fabric, not embroidered. I'm not putting words in your mouth, but I would confirm the method in which he could redo the fabric. Otherwise, I would be in as well. Heck, I'd by a good number of yards so I could get other seats done. The Shelby in the fabric would be killer for any Shelby vehicle, not just the CSX's and whatever else it came in, Shelby Dakotas?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the fabric for our cars, the Shelby ones is woven into the fabric, not embroidered. I'm not putting words in your mouth, but I would confirm the method in which he could redo the fabric. Otherwise, I would be in as well. Heck, I'd by a good number of yards so I could get other seats done. The Shelby in the fabric would be killer for any Shelby vehicle, not just the CSX's and whatever else it came in, Shelby Dakotas?
    I agree "woven" is what i would call it. He has a loom so he can do that and claims to be able to match it exactly. I am excited to see if he can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I agree "woven" is what i would call it. He has a loom so he can do that and claims to be able to match it exactly. I am excited to see if he can do it.

Man that's good to hear. I was going to look to get some done thinking I could probably find a local shop that would embroider, but then I realized it's not embroidered! I'd love to get my seats redone with the right fabric, even if it's not 100% accurate. That part though is pretty important. Thanks for working on this and hopefully this will work out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Any copyright/naming issues with reproducing this stuff ? The old man died but the company will still not hesistate to sue the pants off of anyone even remotely infringing on the name...

I live in Shelby county and I really have a passion for where I live. Bring on the lawsuits.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Any copyright/naming issues with reproducing this stuff ? The old man died but the company will still not hesistate to sue the pants off of anyone even remotely infringing on the name...
    I wondered about that but a guy on the TD forum is getting formats made for his CSX and said he got permission easily from the Shelby co. They probably realize there will be a very very small market.

turbo addict

in to see where this goes.

turbo addict

I could see this fabric having a market outside the TM community, actually. Who's to say somebody with a newer Mustang or even a Focus wouldn't want to customize it?

turbo addict

I does not take anywhere near 4 yards to do the inserts. It takes less than 2 yards actually.

And yup, I have patterns.

When I re-covered a set of Shelby recaros, the material I got that was originally purchased from positive impressions was precut into sections, but it was not big enough for the inserts so I had to splice some of the old material in.

And yes I am interested, but was never able to get the same company to do much for me as far as reproduction.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    I does not take anywhere near 4 yards to do the inserts. It takes less than 2 yards actually.

And yup, I have patterns.

When I re-covered a set of Shelby recaros, the material I got that was originally purchased from positive impressions was precut into sections, but it was not big enough for the inserts so I had to splice some of the old material in.

And yes I am interested, but was never able to get the same company to do much for me as far as reproduction.
    Awesome thanks for chiming in i was over estimating, just to be sure, it is always nice when things are cheaper than expected.

Would you know how much gray fabric is needed to recover the Recaros?

I just sent in the sample to the guy and from what i heard it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months until i get a sample of the reproduction fabric back, so when i have something to show or update i will.

turbo addict

Cool, sounds good. I hope you have better luck than I did.

To recover each seat, you need about 2.25 yards of material from what I recall. That is 3/4 yard for the inserts, and 1.5 for the surrounds. Fabric takes more yardage than leather or vinyl because you can only lay out the pieces in one direction.

For both seats a good estimate would be 2 yards to cover the inserts, and 3 yards for the rest.

Once you get a final width of what the material will be you might be able to squeeze all of the inserts out of 1.5 yards of material or less. Which would drop the price to $195 for insert material.

Hybrid booster

WOW, glad I saw this!! Just bought some for mine!!! Thanks for posting this Ken!

turbo addict

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Thanks!
    Your welcome.

I bought a yard a couple of months ago and a couple more just for safe measure.
    He is a nice guy - Send him a message, let him know that I referred you, and MOST IMPORTANT indicate that you want the yards to be continuous and un-cut.
    Because you need to line up the printing, it will waste some of the fabric and having it un-cut will provide more 'workable' fabric.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast