Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daytona Drone

boostaholic

Re: Daytona Drone

Drone is still there, but I think that is because my V-band clamp does not fit perfectly. When I run my hand around the connection I can feel a big leak right there. Will wait for more comments till my Mopar clamp comes that is made specifically for this. I hope this fixes it because my buddy was over with his Holset powered Spirit and his is quiet in the car but loud outside, opposite of mine..

Garrett booster

Unless it is a massive half-inch wide or bigger gap at that leak, it isn't going to affect the drone noise much, if at all. It can quiet it down a bit, but such exhaust leaks like that do not contribute to such noises.

boostaholic

Ok, so I drove the car through the summer. It is fine and dandy to drive with the windows down, but the drone can be a bit much when driving with the windows up. Will installing a high flow cat bring the drone down and not negatively affect my performance too much? I want a nice high flow 3" straight cat. I want to stay Magnaflow, which one should I get? The car will be making around 425 whp, so I don't want to restrict my exhaust too much but I see a nice high flow cat in my future do reduce drone and the un-burned junk coming out of the back of my car. Any suggestions or personal experiences?

boostaholic

On my 90 I had 3" from the turbine housing to the rear bumper with nothing. No cat and no muffler. I then added a magnaflow 3" cat in and it did quiet it down. I have a brand new magnaflow muffler sitting on the shelf that I didn't bother putting in. I'm still using this same setup with only the pipe bends and the cat as my mufflers. I can't comment on power.. its not even half what you're talking about.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

The way I chose my high-flow cat was to choose the largest GVW with the diameter of pipe I wanted to use.

boostaholic

Did some experimentation on my car tonight. Went to the local custom exhaust shop and had a 3" 45 degree angle pipe made. I attached it to my current exhaust with a band clamp and got it all sealed up. I took the car for a drive and the drone is nearly all gone. The car has a mean resonance at 2900-3100 rpm. I hear this is common, but thru the rest of the power band the car is substantially quieter. Now to come up with a clean exhaust tip look.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    nice.. when you get a chance could you snap a quick pic of the sub box
    Here you go. It is a simple 10" Loaded Kicker Enclosure with a 250 watt Scoche Amp. Sounds Great. Need to make an Amp mounting plate and a spare tire cover out of some 1/2" MDF.

boostaholic

The exhaust may look ugly, but it is functional. I have put about 300 miles on it now. Extending the exhaust past the rear bumper has solved just about everything. I have some wicked vibrations between 2800-3100 rpm, but the car is quiet in the rest of the range. Next year I will have the tail pipe redone, debating on one large 3" exit or dual tips? Glad to know I don't have to put a converter on the car and it is basically open with a resonator and muffler, very free flowing.

Hybrid booster

went thru all the different stages on my G-body with exhausts. factor in a 3" SV and .63 turbine from the start, it was LOUD when I started - too loud.

from noisy with drone, to acceptable, my experience was - stock DP with adapter & 3" pipes (only) back, full 3", then with a race bullet in the middle, then with a 6" round magnaflow, then added the 59959 metallic high flow converter, and lastly a tip. mixing cat-back pipes with the stock DP, drone was unbearable - with or without the race bullet. I couldn't drive comfortably because the locals look for any excuse to light you up around here. and to be honest, I could smell the fuel without the cat, which any smart cop can. getting rid of the stock DP was essential in losing some resonance...and thinking back, the cat made probably the biggest difference in quieting the drone. I have the cat and the muffler mid-mounted consecutively, and could rear mount a second muffler if I wanted (but don't). most vibrations I got were on the OTA pipe at the brace for the track bar - pretty tight in there, everything needs to be just right not to hit some of the time.

I really have to say the cat made little to no measurable difference in exhaust flow, I did not feel any difference in performance. it passed emissions like nothing, and sounds sweet. I think the other factor to killing the drone was the 6" round - could have tried 8", but looked tight at the heat shields and didn't want to chance rubbing anywhere. the race bullet probably made it louder, it certainly wasn't any help. looking back I wish I'd have done the cat sooner, I had low expectations from everything I read previously. was impressed with that particular cat.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Anybody try the Moroso spiral flow mufflers or something similar on a G body? I've got 2.5" turbo-back with no cat and a cheap 28" long glasspack down the middle. I've never been particularly thrilled with the sound, but I swear it's gotten louder recently. I'm also getting older, so it might just be that too.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

I had a friend that had one of those "Spiral Flow" mufflers on his Shelby Z. It wasn't too bad, but it didn't make that much difference in the sound versus a Magnaflow.

I personally like the Borla XR-1. I fell in love with it a long time ago. It has a different sound than the other straight through mufflers I've heard and tried. To me is sounds more "rumbley" and it doesn't get that top end "buzz", plus the body and the packing are stainless. They are a little pricey, but to me it was worth it. My system is a full 3".

I DO suggest putting a high-flow cat on it if are wanting to drive it long distances or a lot. They make a huge difference in the volume of the exhaust and they also help get rid of drone (as long as the tip extends past the bumper or side). Plus, the new units are not that restrictive (if at all depending on your set-up), so performance loss will be minimal and you can make the tree nazis happy-ish.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Anybody try the Moroso spiral flow mufflers or something similar on a G body? I've got 2.5" turbo-back with no cat and a cheap 28" long glasspack down the middle. I've never been particularly thrilled with the sound, but I swear it's gotten louder recently. I'm also getting older, so it might just be that too.
    from what I read before I did my exhaust, way back: 2.5" actually drones worse than 3". and glasspacks wear out, at least mine did. I don't think it's uncommon. then that thing was more like an amplifier than a muffler when I replaced it.

turbo addict

Yes, any fiberglass filled muffler will eventually "wear out". There are mufflers out there (mostly motorcycles) that you can buy new packing for them because it "wears out".

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    from what I read before I did my exhaust, way back: 2.5" actually drones worse than 3". and glasspacks wear out, at least mine did. I don't think it's uncommon. then that thing was more like an amplifier than a muffler when I replaced it.
    Wow, where did you read that the 2.5" drones more than the 3"? I've never heard that, but with all the weird acoustical anomalies with these cars, I wouldn't be surprised. I've got an exhaust shop near me that I trust, plus I've got a 3" O2 housing, so maybe I should just go 3". Regardless, the glasspack has to go. It's got about 40k miles on it, and for the price I paid for it, I bet it's junk by now.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Hybrid booster

ran across it during years of pointless surfing...remember it being more prevalent when 2.5" was commonly available and 3" less commonly, like (gulp...how old am I?) back on the old SDML, and I'm sure it came up a few times on TD, early on. also from partial experience, personally having started the 3" with the cat-back and stock DP. running that on the road, you can't miss it in-car - highway drone close to unbearable before (stock DP to 3" back). the tone definitely changed with the 3" DP, kind of mellowed/broadened it (hard to describe). more than noticeable improvement going to the 3" DP, can't imagine the highway drone on a full 2.5".

boostaholic

My minis back that up. I wouldn't say the 3" DP car is necessarily quieter, but for sure its less droney.
    MinivanRider

boostaholic

Here is what else I did last year to combat the drone, I cleaned the floor really good and then laid down peel and seal on the floor and the rear wall, then picked up some new sound deadener to replace the old, worn out stuff. Really seems to help!

turbo addict

How much weight did that stuff add?

boostaholic

I have 2 rolls in there at 4 lbs each, I have a 10 inch sub and amplifier back there, I am not worried about every pound, I will take a minor increase in weight for better sound from the stereo and the car.

turbo addict

8 pounds isn't too bad. Especially if it makes a significant difference.

Garrett booster

The way you stop drone is to use the biggest mufflers possible......your choice were wrong from day 1....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast