Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Daytona Drone

boostaholic

Daytona Drone

I took jrbexhaust up on his offer and installed the heartthrob hvs muffler in place of my magnaflow muffler. I have it temporarily installed now. Drone seems to be non existent at 3000 rpm now. Now the car is quieter with the windows up rather than down. I made sure to extend the muffler tip parallel to the ground and beyond the bumper, both things seem to make a huge difference in drone. More testing to continue, but first impressions are positive.

turbo addict

Re: Daytona Drone

I would be interested in some back pressure testing as well as on track (because that's what really matters).

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I would be interested in some back pressure testing as well as on track (because that's what really matters).
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post64902
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude on another site back in 2009

I spoke to Mike at Heartthrob this morning. Part #101 is an IMCO stock type muffler. He said it is very quiet. The HVS is their "free flow" muffler and the HPM is their performance turbo muffler. The HPM is the quieter of the two. I copied the info below from their 40 page online catalog.

Exhaust Flow Tests for 3” exhaust
    CFM Backpressure
    Heartthrob HVS #54144 248.5 0.25
    Flowmaster #943042 233 0.50
    Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 o/c 222 0.25
    Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 c/o 218 0.25
    IMCO #914 turbo 182 0.666
    IMCO muffler #101 (stock type) 140 0.50

Link to their catalog: http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/2004cat.pdf
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

For reference the HVS I'm testing is #54044, only difference with the above one is mine is center/ center and not offset/center.
    The magnaflow is #12219.

boostaholic

Permanently installed the muffler now, took the car out of town last weekend. No drone at highway speeds, there is slight drone and it does get louder on decel, but the car is 100 times better now. Very happy with this muffler. Been getting positive comments on the exhaust tone, I love the tone idling and cruising.

turbo addict

Bump, Double D, how's the Heartthrob 54044 holding up?

I'm looking for a quiet muffler as well. Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Any pics of the install? I'm liking what I've read about these mufflers, but I'm hoping I have enough room with a 3" pipe on a Daytona that's lowered 1".

Also, how's the spool sound? Any louder or softer versus the Magnaflow?
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 03-21-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

I installed the Heartthrob 54044 on my GLH.

Tone sounds about the same, volume maybe down 5-10% than the Dynomax straight thru muffler I had. I was expecting it to be a lot quieter, not just a bit quieter.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I installed the Heartthrob 54044 on my GLH.

Tone sounds about the same, volume maybe down 5-10% than the Dynomax straight thru muffler I had. I was expecting it to be a lot quieter, not just a bit quieter.

I wouldn't recommend it.
    Heh, this gets posted 3 days after I ordered mine. Honestly, I'm hoping anything will be better than my 2.5" exhaust with the deteriorated 8-year-51k-mile-old $30 glasspack up the middle.
    Jon J.

boostaholic

I was never expecting the muffler to really quiet the car down, I wanted to kill the obnoxious drone. Under full load and full boost, I think the car may be louder than before, but at that point I only hear the turbo anyways. What I was trying to do was kill the bad drone between 2600-3200, and the nasty peak at 3000 and this muffler did it for me. I would not say this muffler will quiet the car down, but that was not my goal, only drone control.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I was never expecting the muffler to really quiet the car down, I wanted to kill the obnoxious drone. Under full load and full boost, I think the car may be louder than before, but at that point I only hear the turbo anyways. What I was trying to do was kill the bad drone between 2600-3200, and the nasty peak at 3000 and this muffler did it for me. I would not say this muffler will quiet the car down, but that was not my goal, only drone control.
    That's good to hear, since your objective was the same a mine is. My car is on the highway quite a bit when it's nice out, and with the 555, I'm right in the middle of the "drone zone" at highway cruise. I've found myself at times going a bit faster to get past that resonance - probably a bad thing.
    Jon J.

boostaholic

Yeah, I didn't want to loose any performance, but the drone was killing me. I need that 3" complete exhaust to flow as much as I can with my end goals.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Originally Posted by Dude on another site back in 2009
    I spoke to Mike at Heartthrob this morning. Part #101 is an IMCO stock type muffler. He said it is very quiet. The HVS is their "free flow" muffler and the HPM is their performance turbo muffler. The HPM is the quieter of the two. I copied the info below from their 40 page online catalog.

Exhaust Flow Tests for 3” exhaust
    CFM Backpressure
    Heartthrob HVS #54144 248.5 0.25
    Flowmaster #943042 233 0.50
    Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 o/c 222 0.25
    Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 c/o 218 0.25
    IMCO #914 turbo 182 0.666
    IMCO muffler #101 (stock type) 140 0.50

Link to their catalog: http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/2004cat.pdf

The problem with this comparison is that it only compares it to other baffled mufflers, which really aren't that great for a turbo car.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Resurrecting this old thread as I am trying to make my car quieter when I want it to be. The Heartthrob HVS muffler has been working great, I have taken this car on many road trips and it is a joy to cruise on the highway. Planning to replace the front Magnaflow resonator, with the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator and adding a Magnaflow High Flow Cat right in front of this resonator. This will get rid of the gas smell and should quiet down the exhaust. I want it a little quieter on start up so I don't wake anyone when I come to and from home. To balance this out, I'm planning to add a 3" Loudvalve right after the downpipe and before the cat so I can get a nice straight free flowing exhaust when it start making boost and power.

turbo addict

I am curious, there's decibel meters you can download for your phone. Give that a shot and see what kind of difference things make inside and outside of the car. Remember decibels are logarithmic, so even a few actually is a BIG difference.

boostaholic

I am planning to pull the motor very soon for some maintenance and upgrades. I will try and get some readings that I can share with the group so I can quantify before and after numbers with my planned exhaust changes. I have measured the decibel level before but I do not recall the numbers I got.

Hybrid booster

fyi, phantomrt was on the right track. No need to add mufflers or anything that inhibits flow.
    Google "Helmholtz resonator exhaust" , "side branch resonator tube" , or "1/4 wave resonator tube"

The drone on my car was so bad that you literally couldn't talk at 2200rpm. Based on the frequency, my tube ended up being 44" long so I had to get VERY creative with placement.

One thing that I'll say is that I hadn't really expected it to work as well as it did but it made a huge difference.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    fyi, phantomrt was on the right track. No need to add mufflers or anything that inhibits flow.
    One thing that I'll say is that I hadn't really expected it to work as well as it did but it made a huge difference.
    Do you have pictures of the finished install?
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

Miles, Sorry, Have been away a bit, I'll PM you for an email address. You have to promise not to laugh at the install, it's 44 inches of pipe tucked up inside the diffuser on my Consulier.

I did a bit of research before I went ahead with this test, but since I had all of the pipe and stuff laying around I decided that at worst I'd be out an afternoon worth of time and at least I'd KNOW. Besides, I HAD to do something about the drone. It also seemed to tone down almost the entire RPM range, made things a little less "buzzy" overall.

Keep in mind this is for a VERY short exhaust and it still works.
    Last edited by player1up; 05-23-2019 at 08:44 AM.

boostaholic

Daytona Drone

Over the SDAC weekend I had a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter installed to replace my 3" Magnaflow resonator. The drone is a lot less at highway cruising speeds between 55-65mph. I was able to have a conversation at a normal talking level. I will have to take some decibel measurements. I also added a Loud valve boost operated cutout right after the down pipe that opens at 8psi. I will say when the valve opens, the car gets really loud.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345