Thread: Manual Rack for 88 CSX-T??

Garrett booster

Manual Rack for 88 CSX-T??

So I've seen a few different threads on here about putting neon manual racks into a p-body. But what about companies that claim to sell them like on these different websites?....

Just scroll down a bit and its the one for $108
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198...ring_rack.html

and rock auto sells this one.....

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...=231802&p=rock

They're both cardone racks and they very well could be the same part but from what I saw their part #'s didn't match up.

I'm just curious if anyone has used this and what their luck has been with the fit. Also a question about Manual Racks in general. How hard are they really to turn?? I realize that stopped it might be a pain to turn the wheels but at a slow roll is it fairly easy?? Cause there's no way it can be as tough as a power rack that is broken cause you don't have to move any fluid around and the ratios are usually different right?? Any help would be great thanks.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Manual Rack for 88 CSX-T??

Ive never driven any small car with manual steering that was hard to turn once it was rolling. The only things ive driven that still had high effort while rolling were OOOOOLD trucks. So i think you already know what it will be like, pretty much. Slightly hard when stopped, not hard at all when rolling.

Let us know what you find out!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Ok cool. Yeah I think i'm gonna have to give it a try... I'm tired of power steering leaks and also by getting rid of the PS pump i'll have more room for the 4" dp that my Holset HE341 deserves!!!

The one thing that still worries me is if the part actually fits?? Cause I haven't heard of anyone just buying a manual rack for a p body and bolting it on and going. All the posts I read were talking about taking manual racks from other vehicles and modifying them to work. So anyone that has had success with using one of these listed above I'd love to hear about!! Thanks.

Garrett booster

I also have all the photos of both the power and manual rack saved on my cpu but since I took a two year break I have forgotten how to upload photos on here... any help would be great. I tried using the html code from my photobucket account but for some reason it wouldn't work. And it wouldn't even let me copy the image code... Maybe some other accounts are easy to use. Help?? Thanks.

Garrett booster

Well I finally was able to post photos using photobucket through my iPhone ..... Anyways. Here's the manual rack...

And here's the power rack

One thing that looks different is the length of the shaft coming out the top... Any ideas why that'd be different and if it'd still work?