Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Contraption 2013-14-15-16

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: The Contraption 2013-14

I think I have come to the conclusion that in order to get away with any of the manifolds I have on hand, I will have to make too much of a compromise. The indy manifold will just not allow the room needed for radiator and cooling fans That's going to be going up for sale.

Looking at Lengel's and Carroll's cars, space was made available by using a shorter Scirocco-style radiator that would tuck under the plenum. I wanted to do the same, but all of my manifolds hang down too low to allow that.

In discussion with DJ, he has had success with a 1st gen Neon radiator. That seemed like it might have been the solution. With the vertical flow, two small fans could be placed on the lower edge of the rad and allow room for the plenum up top. But when test fitting the rad, the inlet nipple would be in contact with the large plenum manifold I have.

So it looks like a custom solution will be in order.
    Last edited by contraption22; 05-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I think I have come to the conclusion that in order to get away with any of the manifolds I have on hand, I will have to make too much of a compromise. The indy manifold will just not allow the room needed for radiator and cooling fans That's going to be going up for sale.

Looking at Lengel's and Carroll's cars, space was made available by using a shorter Scirocco-style radiator that would tuck under the plenum. I wanted to do the same, but all of my manifolds hang down too low to allow that.

In discussion with DJ, he has had success with a 1st gen Neon radiator. That seemed like it might have been the solution. With the vertical flow, two small fans could be placed on the lower edge of the rad and allow room for the plenum up top. But when test fitting the rad, the inlet nipple wuld be in contact with the plenum of the large plenum manifold I have.

So it looks like a custom solution will be in order.
    Mike that is going to make the car that much more appealing once it's done. You're tailoring this car to fit a motor that was not intended for it and the custom radiator will look super sweet in this thing once it's all done. I can't wait to bring my children to the unveiling when you're finished!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jon. That means a lot to me. Afterall, I am doing this all for your kids.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Lmao dying.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Zing.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Last I checked Mike was a member of the 10 second club. How about a little respect and let the man build GLMF 2

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Last I checked Mike was a member of the 10 second club. How about a little respect and let the man build GLMF 2
    Lol thanks Mike. I'm afraid I may have forfeited my membership due to inactivity.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Lol thanks Mike. I'm afraid I may have forfeited my membership due to inactivity.
    What is the rule for that? When you've been alive longer after getting the slip than before it?

Back on topic, I know that Warren S. made his tubular header out of the handicap bathroom railing. By the time you're ready for yours it'll probably be time to replace your second set in the retirement village. Win, win situation if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What is the rule for that? When you've been alive longer after getting the slip than before it?

Back on topic, I know that Warren S. made his tubular header out of the handicap bathroom railing. By the time you're ready for yours it'll probably be time to replace your second set in the retirement village. Win, win situation if there ever was one.
    Great suggestion! It's too bad Coke cans don't have heavier wall thickness or that might be a good option as well.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Great suggestion! It's too bad Coke cans don't have heavier wall thickness or that might be a good option as well.
    The second part was obviously a joke, but he really did make his out of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The second part was obviously a joke, but he really did make his out of that stuff.
    Yeah once you see it, you see it. Seems like cost for parts was under $20, but I may not be remembering what Warren told me.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Yup. I remember hearing about that. Warren is quite ingenious and resourceful.

The "coke can" reference was a joke as well. I guess it went right down the toilet... Or didn't.

Fabricating an intake manifold from scratch is way out of my wheelhouse of skills. Even if the materials were free, I wouldn't attempt it. I'll be consulting with somebody with the talent and skills necessary this weekend.
    Last edited by contraption22; 05-28-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Mike you still have a free credit for one billet Omni grille from me, albeit the welds will look like a 3rd grader did it. Honestly, that may have been the biggest insult to a 3rd graders ability to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Mike you still have a free credit for one billet Omni grille from me, albeit the welds will look like a 3rd grader did it. Honestly, that may have been the biggest insult to a 3rd graders ability to weld.
    Thanks, bud. Hot glue is as good as a tig weld once you cover it in plasti-dip.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Just checked the 2014 Times Database and believe it or not, your still there! So I don't think Time is against you on this one

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just checked the 2014 Times Database and believe it or not, your still there! So I don't think Time is against you on this one
    Hey look at that... still in the top 20. I'd be happy to stay there for a little while longer. Certainly I will be losing a few more spots this season!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

You know... iron city made aluminum beer bottles... would make for some good runners...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Hey look at that... still in the top 20. I'd be happy to stay there for a little while longer. Certainly I will be losing a few more spots this season!
    I'm in the same boat, and actually hoping to lose a spot or two (If that makes any sense lol)

It's always a good year/ month/ day when you can enjoy "others" having the same kind of success you've had and enjoyed! Hopefully there will be adequate updates this year, as last year I was suffering from Severe withdrawal!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Yup. I remember hearing about that. Warren is quite ingenious and resourceful.

The "coke can" reference was a joke as well. I guess it went right down the toilet... Or didn't.

Fabricating an intake manifold from scratch is way out of my wheelhouse of skills. Even if the materials were free, I wouldn't attempt it. I'll be consulting with somebody with the talent and skills necessary this weekend.
    I thought that it may have been. I was thrown off though, because my coke cans are rock solid.

Garrett booster

Rock solid?! I'm intrigued....

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast