Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comp Turbo sale!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

Re: Comp Turbo sale!!

I am assembling a nice engine with premium parts for my DD GLHS. It will be running Super 60 wiring harness and computer. I was planning on purchasing a new turbo to replace the stocker. Must be a complete bolt-on. Is this new turbo something that would apply or would you recommend something else? Thanks.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

just got more comp turbos in today and we will be test fitting/building our protoype turbo "kits". trying to make things easy for the end user.... pictures to follow...stay tuned!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Just post to see if anybody in the community is running one of these Comp Turbos yet, and how they like them.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Just post to see if anybody in the community is running one of these Comp Turbos yet, and how they like them.
    We have a sold a few to TD guys, ( Joelzip just got a triple ball bearing for his masi) but most of the ones we have sold have gone to SRT-4 owners.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    We have a sold a few to TD guys, ( Joelzip just got a triple ball bearing for his masi) but most of the ones we have sold have gone to SRT-4 owners.
    Cool!
    Which turbos are the SRT guys going with? I'm looking for a turbo for my 2.4 project.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Cool!
    Which turbos are the SRT guys going with? I'm looking for a turbo for my 2.4 project.
    The 5858 is popular for guys going big turbo and not many mods. 6262 for the guys with head work and cams. We also made a nice sidewinder kit with a 6262 shown below, and also made 600 whp at 29 psi boost with a 6265 (not a sidewinder). We plan to redyno the 6265 car with a 4bar set-up and more tuning and hope to add some more hp

side winder kit

turbo addict

I know I always hear good things about them but since Comp Turbo seems to be sorta "secret" I don't know much about matching them up or how they compare with other turbos of similar sizes. I wish everyone was open and honest about compressor and turbine maps. Garrett does that and it lets you see that some turbos in the same Garrett line are a lot better then others even when you might think they are comparable on the exact same engine. Its nice to see someone go first in line and prove it works when you don't have maps.

Who made that exhaust manifold and how much $? I have looked for something like a top mount ramhorn srt-4 manifold for RWD setup but even a sidewinder like that would work great for hood clearance. Every single srt-4 manifold I have seen looks like garbage or costs way too much.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I know I always hear good things about them but since Comp Turbo seems to be sorta "secret" I don't know much about matching them up or how they compare with other turbos of similar sizes. I wish everyone was open and honest about compressor and turbine maps. Garrett does that and it lets you see that some turbos in the same Garrett line are a lot better then others even when you might think they are comparable on the exact same engine. Its nice to see someone go first in line and prove it works when you don't have maps.

Who made that exhaust manifold and how much $? I have looked for something like a top mount ramhorn srt-4 manifold for RWD setup but even a sidewinder like that would work great for hood clearance. Every single srt-4 manifold I have seen looks like garbage or costs way too much.
    we (FWD Performance) made the exhaust manifold and all the piping as well. about $900 for the manifold. Coating is extra

Pretty cool system. Have you tested fitment in any other chassis?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Pretty cool system. Have you tested fitment in any other chassis?
    yes we also have one in a L-body charger running a 2.4.....

turbo addict

So, what's the deal with the turbo on the SRT-4 sidewinder? The first picture shows what looks to be a Comp turbo, but the pictures of the kit installed show a Garrett. At least the compressor housing, but the center section isn't billet either. I'd also like to know the amount of room you had to work with behind the head for that header? Just curious...

This is NOT a dig on FWD at all and I am not putting down their company or the products they sell. I've always had good experiences with FWD and have always had good products and good customer service. I do not believe that they are out to sell bad products. This is MY OPINION and should be taken with a grain of salt...or two. YMMV, terms and conditions may apply, batteries not included.

My biggest issue with Comp and Precision is that neither have any kind of compressor maps. I understand that there is word-of-mouth, and cars that have proven performance with such-and-such a set-up. That's all fine and good. However, for people like myself, I like to be able to know how the product might perform and compares to other well known products that do offer this type of information. I also understand that most people only kind of understand how to read a compressor map and that it can be confusing to look at a whole bunch of them and compare. I still would like that option if I want it.

My technical train of thought is that if a company is going to go through the effort of designing their own compressor wheels, then why would they not go through the effort of testing them before putting them on a vehicle? It's validation of design. There's not a reputable turbomachinery company out there that just machines out a shape and shoves it on some equipment to see how it works. To me, by not providing the compressor maps, it looks like they are trying to hide something, kinda like a food product that has "and other ingredients" on the package. OK...so, what are those "other ingredients"?

Having said that, I've been doing a LOT of research on turbos recently because I'm going to need to make that investment hopefully in the near future. Any recent issues I've read about have been minimal or limited to a certain type of set-up. I've not read of anybody being disappointed in the performance of the turbo as long as it was sized correctly for their goals and installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

Again, this is not saying that this is a bad product in ANY way.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    So, what's the deal with the turbo on the SRT-4 sidewinder? The first picture shows what looks to be a Comp turbo, but the pictures of the kit installed show a Garrett. At least the compressor housing, but the center section isn't billet either. I'd also like to know the amount of room you had to work with behind the head for that header? Just curious....
    Because OUR Kit is designed to work on multiply turbo's. The kit shown is ready to go with a 6262TBB comp with Tial housing. This would be considered our top of the line kit. The kit shown installed is the same kit (we made several) and he wanted to use the garrett GTX because someone owed him money and he got the turbo as payment. Both use the same tial housing so both will fit the same in the engine bay, both have the same WGA and BOV as well. We have several levels for this kit, so customers can choose turbo's, with or without coatings, what BOV and what wastegate that want etc... so it can fit many budgets from mild to wild.

This is NOT a dig on FWD at all and I am not putting down their company or the products they sell. I've always had good experiences with FWD and have always had good products and good customer service. I do not believe that they are out to sell bad products. This is MY OPINION and should be taken with a grain of salt...or two. YMMV, terms and conditions may apply, batteries not included.

My biggest issue with Comp and Precision is that neither have any kind of compressor maps. I understand that there is word-of-mouth, and cars that have proven performance with such-and-such a set-up. That's all fine and good. However, for people like myself, I like to be able to know how the product might perform and compares to other well known products that do offer this type of information. I also understand that most people only kind of understand how to read a compressor map and that it can be confusing to look at a whole bunch of them and compare. I still would like that option if I want
    I have gotten compressor maps before from Comp, and they are more than happy to build almost any combination you want. I rely on my own real world testing, others real word testing, reputation and expertise of the turbo builder etc... and that means more to me than looking at a compressor map. Yes, maybe it's nice to look at all the different maps, but not having one would not stop me from a buying a turbo

turbo addict

I have gotten compressor maps before from Comp, and they are more than happy to build almost any combination you want.
    This is very good to know! Thank you for letting us know that. Do you just need to ask them? Do you need to be a distributor of their product?

boostaholic

we (FWD Performance) made the exhaust manifold and all the piping as well. about $900 for the manifold. Coating is extra
    Sweet kit, any pictures on an L-body?

turbo addict

Nice looking stuff! Glad to see some new products coming out!

I agree it would be extremely helpful to have compressor maps. Garrett makes it easy. Precision is easier for more popular cars like EVO's SRT-4's because there are enough of of them out there to get a good idea of what combos work.

Turbos are to expensive for trial end error.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    Sweet kit, any pictures on an L-body?
    +2 for pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

This will be comp turbo number 5 for me, I chose a baby 5557 for my masi build as I was concerned with lag and a manual transmission. It doesn't require any coolant with the billet center section. I have two others on a small block chevy that work great and the last two I haven't run yet are oil less! No oil lines and can be mounted even vertical. Worst case scenario for a size you don't like would be to send it out for a change or on my chevy I may exchange the .82 housings for .63 to reduce lag. They wanted $400 to exchange two used exhaust housings for newer smaller ones and ceramic coat them black. I can swap the housings myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00621.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	49191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1604.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	49185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1603.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	49186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1606.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	49187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1605.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	49188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summer 2012 007.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	49189  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summer 2012 008.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	49190  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12