Thread: What NOW??? Alternator Adjuster Rubber Thing-a-ma-bob failure, dammit...

Garrett booster

What NOW??? Alternator Adjuster Rubber Thing-a-ma-bob failure, dammit...

89 Dodge Lancer Shelby; just got the mighty White Brick back on the street, much to the terror and chagrin of the average motorist but NOW the alternator / water pump belt starts flopping around like grandma's tits in a high wind because the dadgum adjuster thing (you know, the one with the crappy rubber shock absorber thing wrapped around the adjuster bolt) has just turned into something with the consistency of a bar of soap. Thought I would fix it with a copper insert but apparently the rubber is necessary to keep the belt from flying all over the place. So, I need a new one of those rubber-cast adjusting things but I'll be damned if I can find it. Anybody know where I can find a NEW one?

turbo addict

Re: What NOW??? Alternator Adjuster Rubber Thing-a-ma-bob failure, dammit...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You could also use a turnbuckle from the hardware store.

Garrett booster

The "rubber shock absorber thing wrapped around the adjuster bolt" may no longer be available through the dealer, and even if they are, list price for it was/is over $100. Rich Bryant has made a replacement for it, available on his website listed above.
    Last edited by bamman; 01-16-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Listed wrong part

Garrett booster

Don't think any of these solutions match the situation. Let me take a picture of what I did and you guys can tell me whether I am barking down the right trail. Will be sometime this weekend as I need to take the piece out of the car to photograph it. Again, Thanks to All!

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Actually the 5/16" copper insert solution I came up with is very much like what Mr. Bryant has on his site. So it seems that the rubber component is not really an absolute necessity. Let me find out why the darn thing is not holding tension. Might just be a bad belt. I will post my results Sunday.

turbo addict

This thing?.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AltBrket1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	43377  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Are you making these now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    This thing?.....

turbo addict

In stock, but stock rubber $20 plus shipping
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

This thing, how much?

Garrett booster

20 bucks + shipping?

turbo addict

Shipping is $6

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    nice!
    I didn't know you had these Johnny!

I've got Rich's part on 2 cars already, but it is nice to have a stocker option if people feel like that over the solid mount.
    I actually found a brand new Mopar one in my garage! I bought during a parts binge when i got Mini or Slug!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

I am actually the first tester for Rich's sold aluminum alternator adjuster and the prototype is still on my car working perfectly. Hard to imagine why anyone wants the stock rubber replacement part, other than appear "stock".

Garrett booster

I guess the designers thought it was necessary to manage alternator belt tension variations? Doesn't flex much, though. I ordered the part from Johnny because I thought it was cool to have the original part. A big thanks to all of you folks out there who are building parts to keep these cars running!