Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Intakes

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Intakes

It looks like you calculated the runner diameter, not length. Regardless, the calculated length is from the valve face to the entrance of the port.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    It looks like you calculated the runner diameter, not length. Regardless, the calculated length is from the valve face to the entrance of the port.
    Ok, I'll go check what I did, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I just read what I wrote. I meant entrance of the runner, not port.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Interesting they found smaller plenums created more power and better throttle response.
    From what I understand power and response from a plenum depends on what you are feeding it with. IIRC a smaller plenum will work with a large throttle body, and vise-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    From what I understand power and response from a plenum depends on what you are feeding it with. IIRC a smaller plenum will work with a large throttle body, and vise-versa.
    Going to put that to the test, I am will put a stock TIII intake back on when I get it running. I've never been able to get more than 17-18" of vacuum on any of my TIII engines and all I"ve run is my big plenum intake.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Thanks for addressing this!
    Could you go into a bit more detail? What do you mean when you say the one piece "struggled to meet the rating numbers"? Were other elements changed so that the engines could reach their rated power?
    In the industry, when the rating numbers are difficult to obtain the typical first attempt is to eliminate all of the production variation.
    Casting flaws, core shift, and machining variations are corrected throughout and things like deck height and chamber volume are run at the minimum specification to increase output and offset losses.
    With what was done to the plenum, neck entrance, and runner entry, the intake was 'acceptable' during idle and mid-range operation but became restrictive as RPM increased.
    The one-piece seemed to also suffer from increased 'alignmentitis'. The port alignment between the head and intake and the alignment of the throttle body and intake neck were terrible, in some cases.
    Some one-piece intakes could have such excessive core shift and/or machining issues, at the mating surfaces, that markings like the firing order numbers (e.g. TB flange) appeared cut in half or weren't present at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    In the industry, when the rating numbers are difficult to obtain the typical first attempt is to eliminate all of the production variation.
    Casting flaws, core shift, and machining variations are corrected throughout and things like deck height and chamber volume are run at the minimum specification to increase output and offset losses.
    With what was done to the plenum, neck entrance, and runner entry, the intake was 'acceptable' during idle and mid-range operation but became restrictive as RPM increased.
    The one-piece seemed to also suffer from increased 'alignmentitis'. The port alignment between the head and intake and the alignment of the throttle body and intake neck were terrible, in some cases.
    Some one-piece intakes could have such excessive core shift and/or machining issues, at the mating surfaces, that markings like the firing order numbers (e.g. TB flange) appeared cut in half or weren't present at all.
    Makes sense about them choking at high rpm.

Ouch on the casting issues, now I have to look at my stash of them and see what I can see.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Name:  DSC04169.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  8.1 KBName:  DSC04166.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  8.3 KB

Here are 2 pics of a one piece intake, The one on the left looks like it would flow alittle more.

Hybrid booster

with a few well placed dabs of weld you could totally remove those, thats what randy's intake is going to be like. but for someone running a stock mandated race class that one on the left could be the ticket.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek500 View Post
Size:  8.3 KB Here are 2 pics of a one piece intake, The one on the left looks like it would flow alittle more.
    It may be difficult to tell from the photo.
    The #4 runner looks to have increased PCV residue which may be making the "tonsils" appear less prominent.

With regards to PCV, there is another item worth mentioning about the one-piece.
    The intake is unable to completely evacuate PCV pull-over oil. In other words, oil pulled from the engine via the PCV system can collect in the bottom of the plenum with little chance of being removed.
    If this becomes excessive, the PCV system will generate an audible 'gurgle' which is the oil bubbling as vacuum is pulled through the collected puddle.

Thanks

turbo addict

there are definately 2 different castings of the 1 piece in regards to those bumps. I've seen numerous ones of each. Even the 2 piece has 2 different castings of the lowers in regards to those bumps.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek500 View Post
Size:  8.3 KB

Here are 2 pics of a one piece intake, The one on the left looks like it would flow alittle more.
    I had two intakes just like these. When I measured the width of the opening, the one with the bigger "tonsils" was bigger. The left one isn't showing as much because it is narrower.

Martin

turbo addict

hmm never thought about measuring them with more than my eyeball.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is really interesting. I'll have to take some pics and measurements this weekend as I have one example of each in the basement.

turbo addict

hmm never thought about measuring them with more than my eyeball
    your eye-crometer...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    your eye-crometer...
    They're some expensive tools...eyecrometers

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910