Thread: signs of a bad hep / distributer plastic welds

Hybrid booster

signs of a bad hep / distributer plastic welds

so getting on the fwy to come home tonight I jumped on the gas, car started to pull, and all the sudden I got what I thought was an over boost shut down. Engine got really rough and has no pick up. It will run and it still boosts, but anything more than accelerating with a extra light throttle and it just bogs down. It will do fwy speed but if you push the throttle down it just feels like the engine is loosing power, although it will still show plenty of boost. Was fun planning way ahead for everything on the way home, as having to accelerate sucks. I've never had a bad hep or distributor plastic welds come apart. No fault codes. I've noticed this motor seems a touch rougher than my others since I got the car last month. It's an 87 Turbo I log motor in a daytona z if that matters.

I plan on taking a look at things in the morning, as it's late and dark. Just figured I would see if I am pursuing the right parts. Was hoping there would be some sort of code, but no luck.

turbo addict
    A bad hep will feel like over boost. Check the timing first. Sounds like it jumped a tooth.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: signs of a bad hep / distributer plastic welds

How much boost are you running?

If you have a tach it will cut out when you lose hep signal. Have you checked fuel pressure at all while in boost? It could be falling off causing you to lose power. Fuel pressure falling off just enough to cause knock and pulled timing could do it too, as could too much boost and the car pulling timing as a result of that.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Reading your 'how it happened' synopsis, I was gonna say check cam timing but Brandon beat me to that. Is this the new to you Daytona, Did it get it's 25 year old cam belt replaced yet?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Just got up...ok, it is the new daytona. I have recites from the prior owner and he did have the belt and tensioner replaced. It became a problem very suddenly, as I didn't have any problems driving to work, or running some errands at lunch. I'll look into all the stuff suggested, and knowing the car sat alot in his shop made me wonder if it was a clogged fuel system or dying pump due to junk in the tank. In the past when I have had a fuel pump die, it was total failure. It just stopped totally. Tach functions. Boost is not set unusually high, 12psi.

It is a severe power loss, just trying to start from a stop is hard. Idle seems really low. It has moments of some normal power. It seems like once I could get to speed it would do ok, but pressing the throttle down much at all really make it unhappy. car still boosts on the drive home, under load, I saw any where from zero to 5-7 (under load on hills, still not moving fast) as long as I kept throttle application very gentle and never more than half. If I opened the throttle more it would just start to loose power and slow down.

Hybrid booster

after looking at the distributer and hep, I got the car started, and it gave me a code, 13. Looked at the map sensor and the molded vac line from the solenoid to the map sensor had popped off. Fixed it, and all seems good now.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's great to hear.