Thread: Auto trans HP

Hybrid booster

Auto trans HP

Iam looking at getting a turbo pt for the gf just curious as to what kind of HP they hold in stock form with a tune or valvebody.

turbo addict

Re: Auto trans HP

Well nobody else chimed in, so here's my 2 cents.

I have never seen anything above stage 1 for a PT GT. There were never any transmission problems I remember seeing for any of the PT GT's at the dealership. A good external cooler would be recomended for any auto car along with the factory cooler.

What tune or valve body are you using?

I always thought the transmission would benefit HUGE from a flash upgrade to shorten and firm up the shifts like they do in the Prowler. For a 604 (type) tranny, they shift very well.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I don't know what flash upgrades you can do but even a stock trans doesn't last very well against a turbo engine, especially a lead foot in 4th. You can build them up though as there are parts available but you still can't get everything you need. The tune is the biggest part and AFAIK, there isn't much aftermarket programming or even dealer support.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Iam just looking i dont own a pt yet my dad had one for a couple weeks and it was ok it was the plain turbo pt not the gt wich i think has a little bit more HP, i was wanting to get a srt 4 neon for the gf "more for me hahaha" but shes not to keen on shifting so i asked her is she would like a pt showed her some pics of some with some wheels ect and she liked the way they looked i knew i could get the turbo and auto. I want to make it 450+whp pretty easy but i was just curious as to what kind of hp they will hold stock, iam sure there are alot of performance auto stuff out there hopefully they are not to spendy and i dont want it to have a huge stall as i hate how squishy they are and they feel like a slug in high gear.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 440dart View Post
    Iam just looking i dont own a pt yet my dad had one for a couple weeks and it was ok it was the plain turbo pt not the gt wich i think has a little bit more HP, i was wanting to get a srt 4 neon for the gf "more for me hahaha" but shes not to keen on shifting so i asked her is she would like a pt showed her some pics of some with some wheels ect and she liked the way they looked i knew i could get the turbo and auto. I want to make it 450+whp pretty easy but i was just curious as to what kind of hp they will hold stock, iam sure there are alot of performance auto stuff out there hopefully they are not to spendy and i dont want it to have a huge stall as i hate how squishy they are and they feel like a slug in high gear.
    There isn't much support for them. Local tranny supplier used to sell kits to the forums to help and a decent converter but I guess the a market died off, hasn't sold one in years.

AGain, not much programming support.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Have an 03 PT Gt with the autostick, upgraded to stage one at around 60K (110K now). Trans has not had any problems, and have done regular fluid and filter changes every 30K or so. It does have a pretty good size external trans cooler in the front. I think the stage one does firm up the shifts a bit. Stage one is 235 hp and 265 lb ft torque. It's no slug, it will gladly downshift and pull nicely. Drive like grandma and it shifts imperceptibly. Autostick is pretty responsive. I'd say it's a good choice.

Garrett booster

For what it's worth, the pt turbo, not the gt, is the same motor, turbo, and trans as the gt, just less boost. A stage 1 ecu will work on it to bring it up to equal power as the GT cruiser.