Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melling Oil Pumps are BAD!

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Exclamation Melling Oil Pumps are BAD!

I am finally mentally over my recent engine failure to where I can talk about it....

I finally got my engine together a few weeks back and was taking it for some breakin runs. I drove it maybe 10 miles and noticed my oil pressure light blip on. I looked at my VDO guage and it read fine so I thought "oh a bad sender that sucks." and continued on.

It happend again at idle and the light stayed on for a second. I didn't hear any lifter noise or anything so I still dismissed it as the sender.

Well I drove it a bit more, had oil pressure, etc and then all of a sudden it dropped while I was on it and I had a huge knock. It took out every bearing in the engine!

I primed the pump before install and had pleantly of oil pressure when I was idling so I honestly believe it was an oil pump issue. I have also heard of other such stories with Melling pumps so I really regret not getting a factory pump!

The machinist told me that I had waited too long on my rebuild since the engine sat around for a year and that all of the assembly lube dried up and I didn't prime it well enough. The oil pump was damaged but he felt it was due to lack of priming... IMO it was due to lack of the Melling pump holding its prime....

I had an oring in the pickup so it wasn't that common mistake, etc It just simply failed and cost me another $600 in machining, bearings, etc plus gaskets and a new oil pump.

So saving $30-40 on the oil pump cost me over $600, many weeks of down time and many hours of labor!

BTW my VDO guage didn't work because the sender for that was the one that was wrong... Yes I know the VDO gauges use a different sender but this one is their US ohm range not VDO. The thing I didn't realize was that there are about 10 different US ohm range pressure senders (stupid me). Always trust all warnings until you know better!!!!!

-Rich

Re: Melling Oil Pumps are BAD!

If you don't like melling pumps, don't buy a MOPAR pump then.

Mopar pumps are Melling pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant
    I I have also heard of other such stories with Melling pumps so I really regret not getting a factory pump!

-Rich
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, Melling is an OEM supplier so thats not the problem. Its hard to figure out over the internet but its quite possible you had a bad pump. If so, get ahold of Melling and calmly describe your issue. They might have you send them the pump and if its at fault, you could get some money back. Usually, pump failures are due to crap in the pan, improper install. I haven't seen one fail due to lack of priming etc.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Not exactly. There are clear casting differences and the pumps are different because the MOPAR are high volume low pressure and the Mellings are high pressure. Yes you could have the same by changing the spring, but that isnt quite the case from what I could tell.... even in the maching tolerances.

I was pissed with my Mellings which tore my intermediate shaft up. My new MOPAR is clearly different and I have a touch higher spring kit for it to properly handle the heavy springs in my valve train.

The MOPAR's may have Mellings inside of them (which is probably what you meant to say), but they are not the same setup or same style.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Just because Mellings makes stuff doesnt mean it is the same Mellings unit that gives alot of us people grief.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

On the other side of the coin, I had pretty good luck out of the Melling pump I ran in the Daytona. The only problem (if you could call it that) with it was that it had to be ground to fit properly. There was a paper with the pump which I didn't read that mentioned it. No oil pressure and the distributer moving around while cranking the engine had John and I confused until I finally read the paper and realized what had happened. It was a pretty simple fix after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Just because Mellings makes stuff doesnt mean it is the same Mellings unit that gives alot of us people grief.

Frank
    Didn't say it was an exact copy, just they make OEM pumps. My advice of calling them still holds true.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Ya but when people have problems, it confuses them as they aren't the same with problems, etc.
    Frank Katzenberger

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Sooo.... I have a mellings in my VNT Shadow. No problemo. I made sure that I did not get the high pressure version. I got a pump for a plain jane 2.2 N/A Shadow. Maybe it's the high pressure or high volume ones that are causing grief?

I do have a high pressure pump from FM that sits on the shelf as I am afraid to use it and blow the seals out on my turbo.

Got's me a tad worried though about pumps. How much is the Mopar pump?

I got to sell some of my stuff....
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

It has definently been the high pressure units... especially with fresh rebuilds. My Mellings was 90cold idle and 60hot idle. My new Mopar is at 25cold idle and 12hot idle. I ordered the spring to make it higher.

The new genuine Mopar ones can be ordered from ChrisW from TU for around $120????

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

It has definently been the high pressure units... especially with fresh rebuilds.
    Frank

For sale: 1-new still in the box Mellings high pressure oil pump. Best offer...

I think I'll just use another stock N/A 2.2 application Mellings again for the new motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Well, I just checked, I have a Melling in my van, no issues, I guess its not the HV one as my oil pressure is like Franks 2nd pump readings.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Well, I just checked, I have a Melling in my van, no issues, I guess its not the HV one as my oil pressure is like Franks 2nd pump readings.
    That means it is the HV one. THe HP are the bad ones.
    Frank Katzenberger

That means it is the HV one. THe HP are the bad ones.
    Whatever, I have a normal, regular, plane jane, joe blow oil pump.

Hybrid booster

I've had no issues with either. I do wonder at times about the added strain that is put on the oil pump/aux shaft gears. If you spin it by hand you can feel the "drag" increase in the HV/HP pump when it builds pressure.

Thanks Jerry. I noticed the same thing between my HP Mellings pump and my new Mopar HV pump... alot different in feel and drag. I think the HP Mellings pump had too much load also at the high rpms and that is why is skipped on my intermediate shaft.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Okay some folks have had no problems with their pumps. I had just last night! Happened as soon as you got off the highway right? My light came on - same thought, sending unit. Nope, oil pressure DROPPED! Flew back on then dropped. I shut if off immediately.

Screw that. I'm going OEM soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Okay some folks have had no problems with their pumps. I had just last night! Happened as soon as you got off the highway right? My light came on - same thought, sending unit. Nope, oil pressure DROPPED! Flew back on then dropped. I shut if off immediately.

Screw that. I'm going OEM soon.
    Call up TU get a genuine mopar unit from him, then call up Summit and order the upgraded spring for it.

Wait... off the highway, as in high speed, lots of braking, off ramp/turn? Did it do it again during the turn or after you got into the straight? If it was all during the turn, then that is normal.... only baffles help that.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Call up TU get a genuine mopar unit from him, then call up Summit and order the upgraded spring for it.

Wait... off the highway, as in high speed, lots of braking, off ramp/turn? Did it do it again during the turn or after you got into the straight? If it was all during the turn, then that is normal.... only baffles help that.

Frank
    Frank, thanks for the tip. I'll get ahold of Chris. How do I replace the spring in there? Also, I turn the oil pump in a tightening motion (clockwise) with an impact gun, yah?

It happened when I got off the highway and at a dead stop when RPMs dropped to idle (800RPMs). If I lifted it just a hair off idle the oil light would go off.

turbo addict

You guys do know that Melling makes one .. (1) .. oil pump for our engines (P/N .. M118). ... and it isn't HV or HP, just a standard, OE, replacement pump.

Pressure is a product of the engine internal clearances .. or, resistance to flow. Flow goes up as the engine wears. Pressure goes down as a result. You can get a feel for what's going on inside the engine by paying attention to when and how much oil pressure varies w/RPM and or at idle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast