Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine cut out at cruising speeds.

Garrett booster

Engine cut out at cruising speeds.

As title says. Engine cut out at steady cruising speed. seems more around 3000 rpm range. It has a Boost Button Double Play cal. 10 and 18 psi. and a three bar map. Things I have checked or replaced in an atempt to resovle issue.
    This is in my 89 Shelby Daytona 2.2 1. Switched back to stock smec and map- no help - Its not you Boost Button
    2. Swapped out hall effect with one out of my 88- no help
    3. Replaced coolant temp sens.- no help.
    4. swapped out 3 bar with brand new one.-no help.
    5. Replaced coil with known good coil.- no help

The only things I have'nt checked are O2 and maybe the ASDR?
    I have a innovate AFR meter and wide band installed in down pipe but not hooked to smec.

turbo addict

Re: Engine cut out at cruising speeds.

Does the dash cut out too?

Garrett booster

No. but the tach drops but not all the way. its a split second kinda thing.No lights dim or anything like that.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

It also goes pig rich when this happens. Forgot to mention this.

Hybrid booster

That car had a problem with the connector at the fuel pump at one time causing it to cut off.
    Not sure if it ever got fixed properly.
    ASD relay usually just fails completely but you could swap another one in to check.
    Unless the wiring to the O2 is burnt up probably not an issue there. Fairly new O2 was in the car when Sean had it.
    Club meeting is Wednesday this week if you want to come discuss it.

Garrett booster

Sure thing. The ASD in the 88 has diff. housing. wont fit on connector. The O2s plug pins looked a little burnd but was dark by the time I got to them.I could just discard the stock one an connect new wide band cant i?

turbo addict
    Sounds like a eprom connection issue. My ostrich will do this if the wire is too close to the battery cable.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Sure thing. The ASD in the 88 has diff. housing. wont fit on connector. The O2s plug pins looked a little burnd but was dark by the time I got to them.I could just discard the stock one an connect new wide band cant i?

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

An eprom issue. You mean in smec. Tried old smec and cal'd smec to no avail.

Hybrid booster

I dunno anything about that wideband stuff.
    Only mods I do to these is an MP computer and nothing else.

Seldom ever have a problem in the SMECS other than the power module part doing weird stuff but you swapped them and no improvement.
    Check all the grounds under hood again. Something may be loose since that entire harness was removed and reinstalled at one point.

Garrett booster

Will do that tomorrow. Was thinking about ordering one of those engine grounding kits as well. The old braided stuff is looking a little rough. Well thanks for help AbkShelby. Will see you at meeting wensday. Till the I will check grounds and look over wire diagrams again.

Garrett booster

can i get electrical diagram from some one on here. 89 Daytona , Shelby. Need diagrams for coolant temp sens and ASD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I had the same problem in my Daytona this past summer. Do you get any codes? Mine was throwing the code 54 for the HEP, but I believe the alt was throwing off a funky wave and causing voltage problems to the SMEC which threw off the HEP signal voltage.

If my alternator hadn't died on the way home I would have never found the issue. I had it towed the rest of the way back from SDAC, did nothing but replace the alternator and it hasn't done it since.

Garrett booster

well Im getting an O2 code now . But wasnt showing any till tonight. I unplug 02 earlier and pluged back in. then cleared code. but it came back again. Wonder if alt ground is bad. will check output tomorrow along with grounds . thanks for input . thats the second time the alt has been mentioned.

Garrett booster

Pulled apart 0s connector and found some bad pins

huuumm could this be the culprit?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0066.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	43120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0068.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	43121

That certainly isn't helping the situation!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I had the exact same issue with my old minivan. It would drive fine, then sometimes cutout, sometimes not start etc. It turned out the main ECU ground wire was screwed to the body right under the battery tray (where it was basically invisible with the lower splash covers on). The screw had backed out and so the wire was only touching occasionally. When it would stop touching the body is when it would cut out. I would definitely be looking for a bad/disconnected ground wire. If this is the case with yours, I don't think one of those engine grounding kits would help.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    You know, now that you mention your issue, it reminds me... When i was driving MeanMini down to NC from CT when i first got her, she did this on the highway a couple times. Kinda scared the crap out of me from the standpoint of not wanting to be stranded hundreds of miles from my destination!
    Although i never determined the cause, i attributed it to bad gas from it sitting for the better part of 8 years. It has done it several times, but had not done it much in the last 6 months or so of driving it. I had not replaced any electrical tidbits.
    So thanks for the information here, I'll look at those same areas during the engine and tranny replacement.
    :beer:
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Thanks Shel !!!!!! I will check. Its gotten worse since I put the poly bushing motor mounts in. All the extra vibration could cause something like that to get real bad.

Garrett booster

Well for all you guys wondering where I have gotten with this issue. Its seems to have been the baro solenoid. removed it from the system and eveything seems to be better. Will know for sure tomorrow. I think I still need to replace some vac lines and such but no more silly sh-t going on with AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by VaShelby View Post
    Well for all you guys wondering where I have gotten with this issue. Its seems to have been the baro solenoid. removed it from the system and eveything seems to be better. Will know for sure tomorrow. I think I still need to replace some vac lines and such but no more silly sh-t going on with AFR.
    That's great to hear. The baro solenoid gave me trouble in my Daytona a couple of years ago, but it threw a code 13 in the process so that made it a little easier to track down.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VaShelby View Post
    I was going to suggest you bypass that, had that exact issue years ago, I almost took a torch to the van, found it by a total fluke.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast