Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbonator Masi???

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Turbonator Masi???

Rob, would it be possible to get a SBEC Masi 16v cal? I have already converted my Shelby Lancer from LM/PM to SBEC and would rather not have to pull it all back out and convert to SMEC. Really like having the PDC in the car and don't want to give it up. I'm looking at installing stock 2.2L Masi 16v into the car later this year.

Hybrid booster

He worked me up a sbec cal. It still needs tuning. And I think I have a bad ground/connection somewhere. But I do have a masi running a sbec cal

Right on, thanks for letting me know.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    He worked me up a sbec cal. It still needs tuning. And I think I have a bad ground/connection somewhere. But I do have a masi running a sbec cal
    Let me what's up with the cal. There's a lot of stuff to copy over from the Masi. But, luckily the Masi used basically the same code as the T1 and T2. So, copying is pretty straight forward.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

so is turbonator masi ready yet?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    so is turbonator masi ready yet?
    You got a running Masi engine yet?

Who does? heheh. Not me yet either...are we all in the same boat or what?!

edit: I'm thinking we're all in good company though! Lot's of very cool projects coming to light here. From mild to wild; but I gotta admit I probably have the tamest goals. Can't wait to see what everybody else does with theirs. I'm particularly interested in Jay's setup because I'm a pretty big fan of the 2.5L..
    Last edited by iTurbo; 02-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Hybrid booster

The computer he just made for me is an sbec.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Who does? heheh. Not me yet either...are we all in the same boat or what?!

edit: I'm thinking we're all in good company though! Lot's of very cool projects coming to light here. From mild to wild; but I gotta admit I probably have the tamest goals. Can't wait to see what everybody else does with theirs. I'm particularly interested in Jay's setup because I'm a pretty big fan of the 2.5L..
    I think we are all in the same boat! We might need a bigger boat! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    You got a running Masi engine yet?

Wow, I see how it is ugh life. Gotta replace or fix my daily drive now (stupid snow plow driver) Then get a fricken raise at work.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'm particularly interested in Jay's setup because I'm a pretty big fan of the 2.5L..
    Thanks Jeremy, I too am particularly interested in what it's going to turn out like. I too love the 2.5 in a heavier car. It feels like the 2.2 in my GLH. I was way happy with the 2.5 8v I had in my Tona as it revved up nice and quick and had tons of top end. If I can get this thing put together into the setup I want I'm hoping it will be a monster.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Let me what's up with the cal. There's a lot of stuff to copy over from the Masi. But, luckily the Masi used basically the same code as the T1 and T2. So, copying is pretty straight forward.

I will let ya know.. I just have a couple projects I am working VERY hard to complete... In fact... I just wired up a SBEC in my VNT sandrail... I'll test it on that setup as it is throwing no codes... I have no idea what is up with the van.. I discovered unplugging the O2 sensor will cause it to die... (regardless of which computer setup) I suspect a bad ground somewhere... but where.. I dunno.. all the easy stuff has been checked and rechecked.. No idea...

The other problem is I wasn't able to get my laptop to play nicely with the new SCI cable... But at the time I was in a hurry and the van was running.. and I needed it for work.. So it went to work...

I appreciate all your help Rob... and will let ya know what I can figure out ASAP!

We might need a bigger boat. Cool. The more the merrier.

Jay, my thinking has always been that combining the high flowing DOHC 16v head *and* a stroker 2.5L is a winner. Great fun on the street and major power potential. I had a "2.5L TII" in my GLH for quite a while and it was insane fun for pizza delivery duty back in the day! Just point and shoot.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I'm working on the SMEC Masi cal dis-assy again today. Here's the thing - the Masi cal is 99% identical to the T2 software. The one place it's different is in the transient fuelling. What I think they did is add a set of values for when the engine has been idling and just comes off-idle. Those transient fuel values are different from the others, and unique to the Masi. The TIII has something similar, but not using the same code. Turbonator doesn't have anything like this in it.

However, the part-throttle and coming-off-idle MAP trigger levels are the same. The difference is in the Max Trigger level. I'll have to see what the impact there is, but the effect should be to limit how much pump-shot fuel you get coming off-idle. Which will have the effect of being more responsive off-idle.

Are the Masi's very responsive? I've never even seen one running, much less driven one...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I would imagine with the heavy crank and itty bitty turbo that response isn't that great. That being said a # of us are not going to be stock. Myself will be running a 2.5 crank, Oliver rods, JE's, aluminum flywheel, UDP, fidanza pulleys on all 3 pulleys, and a crank gear that weighs almost 1/2 of what a stocker does, either a GTX30R or a GT35R, 4" intake with 3" plumbing, 3" or maybe 4" exhaust, big FMIC and a 58mm TB, so response should be pretty damn quick. I like to have all the components installed before that 1st fire up so I don't have one running yet, and I've never heard or driven a stocker either so I can't say what they're like in that form. Alan?????

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Not sure I understand the question, what are you guys asking?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Heh, well Alan, since you seem to be worlds ahead of us all and actually have a running example of a Masi 16v motor...

What is the throttle response like compared to a TI/TII/TIII? Driveability? Does it rev nice off idle? Do you ever find yourself wishing it was a 2.5L on the street? That sort of thing.

turbo addict

Ha! your asking the wrong guy about wishing it was a 2.5. Alan is planning to go the other way to 2.0. A stock masi has very good driveability. With that heavy flywheel it's like learning to drive in a 4 cylinder Honda. You let let out the clutch and go. Being a 4 valve motor, it is always going to be down a little torque down low compared to a 2 valve motor.
    Todd

Thanks Todd, I can go both ways here (2.0/2.2/2.5), but I might be 200 years old by the time that happens?! Damn!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Ha! your asking the wrong guy about wishing it was a 2.5. Alan is planning to go the other way to 2.0. A stock masi has very good driveability. With that heavy flywheel it's like learning to drive in a 4 cylinder Honda. You let let out the clutch and go. Being a 4 valve motor, it is always going to be down a little torque down low compared to a 2 valve motor.
    Todd
    I would be done with the 2l by now (3 years into it I think but the Big D ate some of that up) if my builder could just stay healthy... I have the $$ and the parts, having the time is hardest. Skilz, well I've built plenty of TM motors but this one may be a little trickier

As Todd mentioned with a stock Masi set up and heavy rotating assembly, you can literally let the clutch out-then hit the gas, it WILL NOT stall, even on an incline It's weird, I've been letting a special friend drive the White TC some lately, she hasn't driven a 5 spd car in years and didn't stall it once. I didn't actually tell her why not Damn, she looks good in that car

As far as a modded Masi 16V motor, the one in my Red GLHS is not a very usefull comparison. See, 'back then' in the 90's engine management sucked and detonation was the biggest concern so I set it up 7:1 CR so I could run 35PSI if I wanted to. It's never been over 20 yet, spins in 4th with 225 DR's and a Quaife posi so it's been pointless to go higher That and the GT35 makes it pretty poochy before 4500RPMS. The builder guy in this thread has me talked into a much high CR on the 2l, approaching 9:1 I don't actually expect any meaningful boost until 5K but 5K to 9K watch out A 4K 'useable' powerband in a roadrace car will be entertaining.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

so in stock form then a masi isn't very responsive it sounds like. Too much weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast