Thread: Need advice on using the KD 3087 valve spring compressor while the head is on the car

Garrett booster

Need advice on using the KD 3087 valve spring compressor while the head is on the car

Hey, I recently borrowed a KD tools 3087 valve spring compressor to change out some valve stem seals on an 8V. With it set up the only way I can figure, the handle hits the intake (2pc) before I can compress the spring.

Is there something simple I'm missing? Can it be set up for the handle to point to the front of the engine instead of the back?

At this point I think I'm about to cut the rivet that holds the hook end and replace it with a bolt so I can try it in a different mounting position.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Need advice on using the KD 3087 valve spring compressor while the head is on the

If its the same KD 3087 I have the handle can be positioned in 3 different spots... The one thumb screw with 3 position holes cut out can be removed and the handle tilted to accomodate however its needed.

Garrett booster

Re: Need advice on using the KD 3087 valve spring compressor while the head is on the

Okay, I guess I didn't notice in all of the pictures it shows the adjustable handle. The one I have must be older or a different version because it has a non-adjustable handle.
    Looks like I'll be buying an adjustable one.

turbo addict

On top of the three adjustable positions I also shortened the handle a couple inches on one of mine to clear a 2 piece intake.
    Todd