Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the dyno?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Getting ready for the dyno?

Well Pops again has been pulling strings. He got us 9 pulls on a dyno. Six pulls for 2 of his cars, and three pulls for my car.

We're planning on going next weekend to Akron Horsepower. We'll take the Acclaim, my car, and either the '06 Charger or my brother's '91 Spirit ES if it's running by then.

I will be running the exact setup you see in my sig. I'll have 2 gallons of 110 octane mixed with about 12 or 13 gallons of 94. Would it be better to run maybe 4 gallons of 94 and 2 gallons of 110, this way the mixture is more diluted with 110?

I heard I should start the pull in 3rd gear, is this true?

Also, I guess he can hook up a A/F ratio meter so I can see where I'm at. Should my taget A/F be 12.5:1 for optimum/safe power?

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys,
    -Bryan

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Getting ready for the dyno?

Definately run the 110 as strong as possible. Drain your tank as much as possible and add the 110 at the dyno then drive around the block a few times. This way, your getting the full effects of the 110 and won't get any knock.

Just make sure you have everything ready as 3 runs go by really fast. Have all your clamps triple checked, fluid levels up, timing set etc. I would also make sure you have a manual fan switch and make sure its turned on. Even with those massive fans, our tiny rads can't dissipate the heat that well.

3rd gear will give you more torque readings but 2nd gear should be your testing gear. Are you running the car on the dyno or is the operator?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

12.5:1 is leaner than most care to go. Sure it will net you more power but the safety net is reduced and probably not worth the small gain. I'm going to shoot for 12:1 myself.

Other than that, install some new plugs, pop off the power steering belt, and maybe try to pressure test your intercooler plumbing before you go. Make sure you don't have any little problems that could show themselves on the dyno like unbalanced tires, bad CV joints etc..

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I will be running the exact setup you see in my sig. I'll have 2 gallons of 110 octane mixed with about 12 or 13 gallons of 94. Would it be better to run maybe 4 gallons of 94 and 2 gallons of 110, this way the mixture is more diluted with 110?
    IMHO I would just drain the whole tank and run 100% 100octane or 100% 110octane or anything that is not mixed in your bathtub.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Yea Brian generally what I do is wait till I have a 1/4 tank of 94 then fill the car up with 110 or if your luck find some C16 hmmmmm 117octane I had about 1/4 tank 94 and put 3 gallons of C16 in and boy what a differnce but it's not cheap $11.00 a gallon here anyways.

Too bad I wont be up that way I'd like to dyno my car

I wouldn't pop off the power steering belt, then your cheating and not getting a true dyno reading,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    or anything that is not mixed in your bathtub.

Don't forget to hook up the alky! (one of these days)

My guess for you're setup... 267.4 hp

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    I wouldn't pop off the power steering belt, then your cheating and not getting a true dyno reading,
    Oh come on Simon everybody knows it's one of the secrets to big power. Seriously though, I'm afraid of blowing a high pressure hose at higher RPM. That would be embarassing on the dyno. That, and my power steering pumps always rattle at certain RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo
    Oh come on Simon everybody knows it's one of the secrets to big power. Seriously though, I'm afraid of blowing a high pressure hose at higher RPM. That would be embarassing on the dyno. That, and my power steering pumps always rattle at certain RPMs.
    Heheheehee,

Yah I'm most worried of blowing a hose.

Joel, I'm thinking around 260WHP too at 20psi with race gas.

boostaholic

Joel, I'm thinking around 260WHP too at 20psi with race gas.
    there you go its probably gona be like 225 now that you made a guess.

Shat!

I just HOPE that the HEMI car pulls BIGGER numbers than his Spirit, after all the CHARGER is Faster

Dad

turbo addict

it should pull better numbers than the Spirit. My friend's Charger SRT8 put down a little over 330whp stock. now with a couple mods it stays dead even on the street with other cars that have been trapping 110ish at the track.

I'll venture to guess 230-240whp on the Spirit.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

"....Also, I guess he can hook up a A/F ratio meter so I can see where I'm at. Should my taget A/F be 12.5:1 for optimum/safe power?......"

your dyno shouldl have a wideband sensor that will sniff the tailpipe and chart your a/f ratios along with hp/tork so that will really be helpful for your tuning.....i agree 12.5 is a tad lean, better to keep it mid to high 11's to 1, with 12:1 being your upper limit (this is at max boost of course).

whatever fuel you plan on racing with should be the fuel you run on the dyno.

...and bring your timing light, adjusting the timing and re-pulling is another helpful tuning aid.

good luck.

If I run say a 6:1 gallon ratio for 110 to 94 wont I wipe out my O2 sensor?

Also I'm running an open downpipe, he can put the WB in there right? Just to clarify, 11.5:1 target A/F?

If I run say a 6:1 gallon ratio for 110 to 94 wont I wipe out my O2 sensor?

Also I'm running an open downpipe, he can put the WB in there right? Just to clarify, 11.5:1 target A/F?

my understanding is leaded fuels will do some damage to certain oxygen sensors but i couldnt tell you specifically what would happen for short durations....what about high octane unleaded? we have 105 octane Turbo Blue out here in CT its a great fuel for street/strip, $7/gal.

yes, the wideband sensor has a clip that will attach to any open pipe thats what they will do if they have it, i'd be shocked if a dyno didnt have wideband UEGO sensor data loging.

11.5:1 is a good nominal mixture (compromise between power and reliability)for most TD engines running higher boost, so i am told by all the experts (i am no expert thats for sure).

The short run times with leaded fuel won't damage the ox sensor or cat. I have been running the same NTK sensor for 3 years with each summer, runs using C16. I took my cat out last year so it got 2 years of C16 and both work perfectly.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

You are at higher RPM longer going down the strip.

The correct gear for a DYNO pull is the gear that is closest to a 1:1 ratio. for a 5 speed that is 4th. for an Auto, that is 3rd.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

K, thanks guys. Should I be worried about my crappy torque converter blowing out? As the dyno will put an extra load that I wouldn't normally have on the street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast