Thread: Want to put an auto behind my T2.. HELP

Mitsu booster

Want to put an auto behind my T2.. HELP

Well I'm doing the motor in my 87 shelby z. I am planning on driving this car to highschool and to the track for some bracket racing. An auto in my opinion is the only way to stay consistent. I want to build a strong auto thats going to hold up. What trans do I use, and what do I do to it??

turbo addict

Re: Want to put an auto behind my T2.. HELP

5spd will get far better MPG, and consistency is more dependent on consistent intercooler temps IMO. I could run my 87 ShelbyZ within .1 as long as I kept the i/c cold.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for the 5 speed on gas mileage. I was within 2-3 tenths at SDAC 20 my first time out in the Daytona. Isn't Angelo still running a 5 speed too? That throws the idea that 5 speeds can't be consistent right out the window...

In before the guys who actually like autos!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

The thing I found the most helpful was this page: http://web.archive.org/web/200401011...s%20detail.htm.

Other than that, your best bet is to go through all the available pages here on automatics and read. I didn't know much about rebuilding/beefing up automatics but now I can build one that will stay together and get my Dad's T2 2.2 wagon into the low 14's and one to bolt up to the SRT-4 2.4 in my mini-van.

A.J.

turbo addict

The near stock 95 Neon that I drag race is within .04 from pass to pass. It used to be that until we gained free hp by getting rid of the power steering assembly, then it started spinning the rt ft tire. I put a launch limiter on it, set at 3700 rpm and it is back to .04 again and quicker since the release of the clutch hits harder. Matchbox used to be darn consistant like that back when it had a 5 speed too, but broke 11 of them in the first 100,000 miles, so in went the automatic. The consistancy actually went away on the automatic until we put in a full manual valve body. The thing had to have the pan pulled and the solenoids cleaned out all the time until Dave COAN built me a roller bearing convertor with a Mexican stator. The first automatic lasted 100,000 miles but had to have the fluid replaced monthly, the current transmission was rebuilt by a Chrysler dealer for a small fortune when it had 200,000 miles, it went into Matchbox when it had 235,000 miles on it...the manual valve body and COAN convertor did the trick. The trans now has nearly 100,000 miles AFTER the rebuild and the fluid looks brand new. I also had used a Moroso log type of transmission cooler/filter to help the first automatic...not now though. As far as the 5 speeds that used to be in Matchbox...I never lifted my foot off the gas pedal between shifts! Third was straight up instead of trying to move it to the right a bit. I launched it at 3000-4000 rpm.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Here is a link to what the log type of tranny cooler/filter from Morroso looked like...I did not search the cheapest, just the quickest link.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CON1LO/...SIN=B000CON1LO
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Auto's FTW, lol.

The only trans you can use is the A413, buy a decent converter and go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l-in-one-place
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Third was straight up instead of trying to move it to the right a bit.
    How did you accomplish this? I've been considering trying to figure out how to do a dog-leg 1st on my car.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I thought I had posted up on this (and I did), but then I see that there was a double post... Might want to see if an Admin can merge the two.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Well I'm keeping the 5-speed for now I guess. I might. Builds 413 and throw it in eventually. Depends on how it does at the track. Hopefully ill just keep the 5-speed but an auto seemed like a pretty good idea. IF you can get it not to break. (Sorry for the double post. Still trying to figure out this site, used to the other site)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Auto will work fine, if you don't mind doing a front mount, and would be more consistent in a bracket-type situation. It seems like the autos are more durable than the 5-speeds/clutches, once the mods are done...

Good luck either way!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke