Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound dampening material?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Sound dampening material?

I used some cheapo ebay stuff on the roof, speaker panels, and hatch area of my Charger several years ago. It's very thin, but served its purpose. The roof doesn't sound tinny, the speakers don't buzz, and it took the edge off the exhaust drone.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I used some cheapo ebay stuff on the roof, speaker panels, and hatch area of my Charger several years ago. It's very thin, but served its purpose. The roof doesn't sound tinny, the speakers don't buzz, and it took the edge off the exhaust drone.
    Are you talking about the foil-backed tar stuff? I have some name-brand stuff for that that I used from work. But, that is more for stopping vibration and rattles. I was thinking of an undercarpet product to block road noise.

Be careful with some of that cheaper foil-backed deadener. Some of them use asphalt tar instead of butyl rubber. The tar can really soften up, and ooze if it gets too hot. Some have reported finding puddles of it dripping from their car on hot days.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I just want to be able to reference this for later. I'm interested to see what is said on the link provided.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Are you talking about the foil-backed tar stuff? I have some name-brand stuff for that that I used from work. But, that is more for stopping vibration and rattles. I was thinking of an undercarpet product to block road noise.

Be careful with some of that cheaper foil-backed deadener. Some of them use asphalt tar instead of butyl rubber. The tar can really soften up, and ooze if it gets too hot. Some have reported finding puddles of it dripping from their car on hot days.
    Well, it was supposed to be Butyl, but I have found a little slime in my hatch. In retrospect I think I'd have been better off using a spray-on back there.

As for under the carpet, I've got the GLHS well covered in the Eastwood stuff. Unfortunately, I'm still a very long way from having it on the road, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I may just go with this. Reasonably priced. I would need about 4 or 5 pieces to do the Jeep I think.

Incidentally, it looks like the floor already has a good amount of factory deadener stuck to it. I may just need a blocker like above.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12