Thread: 1993 Duster 3.0l need trans.

Mitsu booster

1993 Duster 3.0l need trans.

So I was backing out of my driveway in my newly acquired $500 beater when I heard a loud clunk and then the engine stalled , started her back up and slowly let out the clutch and stalled again. Tried moving the shifter out of reverse and it would not budge so.......I applied a little more force and it broke free.........or so I thought now i need a shifter cable also .
    So now my question is what donor vehicles and years can i scavenge a 5-speed trans for the Mitsu 3.0l? Can anyone tell me what trans came with the 1993 Plymouth Duster 3.0l (model number)? and where can I find new shifter cables. Thanks in advance!!

turbo addict
    Pull the top cover off the transmission a roll pin might have come out locking you in two gears.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Re: 1993 Duster 3.0l need trans.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on with the trans., but here's a little info if you need a new one.

For a direct fit, exact replacement, you'll need an A543 out of a 92+ Shadow/Duster/Daytona/Lebaron. You can get one from a pre-92 but you'll need a clutch disc for a pre 92 as well. The older ones have a smaller input shaft therefore the different clutch discs. Also the older ones have a different final drive gear ratio. pre 92 is 3.50fd and 92+ is 3.77. There is a tag on top of the trans that has this info. None of the 4 cyl transmissions will work since they have a different bellhousing.

Shifter cables can be bought from the dealer for around $250 a set. You can use the ones from a daytona but they are a little bit longer so they are harder to route. I'm not sure if 4cyl shifter cables are the same as v6 ones.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

4 cyl will be the same, so any 568 car will fit, but as you noted, may have to be routed differently. If you have internal damage, find a matching gear ratio 568 and swap cases.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Should have mentioned the trans has been making noises since I bought it kinda like a soda can rattling inside it. However it shifted great with out problems the noise didn't seem to be rpm related but would change when operating the clutch pedal and also would come and go.
    Also clutch was recently replaced PO had reciepts.
    Is the top cover east to get at?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MC#4 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what's going on with the trans., but here's a little info if you need a new one.

For a direct fit, exact replacement, you'll need an A543 out of a 92+ Shadow/Duster/Daytona/Lebaron. You can get one from a pre-92 but you'll need a clutch disc for a pre 92 as well. The older ones have a smaller input shaft therefore the different clutch discs. Also the older ones have a different final drive gear ratio. pre 92 is 3.50fd and 92+ is 3.77. There is a tag on top of the trans that has this info. None of the 4 cyl transmissions will work since they have a different bellhousing.

Shifter cables can be bought from the dealer for around $250 a set. You can use the ones from a daytona but they are a little bit longer so they are harder to route. I'm not sure if 4cyl shifter cables are the same as v6 ones.
    1990 is a small spline clutch disc/input shaft. There is also a difference in the clutch cable length and the release arm from a certain build date and forward, I think January 91 is when the longer clutch cable came around.

turbo addict

That pop can noise is something you can ignore. Idler shaft. I would try pulling it out of gear at the transmission using the levers. You need the clutch pushed in even if the motor is off when the shifter is hard to move.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Mitsu booster

Will try all advice as transmissions of this year are hard to find went to 4 junk yards and they all thought it was funny when I.asked. 1 yard can order 1 for $350 out of a 92 dodge es. Also found a 91 shadow es convertible and 5 lebaron gtc's all automatic though. Will 89 lebaron gtc rear disks fit a 93 duster?

Mitsu booster

so I got the cover off, anything look out of place.

took the cover off and I could operate the cable link back and forth and inside the trans i could move everything yet with the cover on the lever on top would not budge.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

another shot.

turbo addict

If that black mud originates from inside the transmission, Im sure its toast lol. Never seen one that nasty.

In that picture, reverse is currently engaged. Does the car still act like it is locked up with the cover off?

When you put the cover back on you need to make sure all the selectors are lined up (they aren't in the pic, reverse is engaged), then you have to line up the little spring thing on the shifter housing and use the centering pin (big pin sticking up on the shifter housing, flip it over) to line everything up.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Mitsu booster

Car was in reverse when this problem popped up, as long as the clutch pedal is pushed in the car will move (me and my nieghbor pushed the car into the driveway), if I let out the clutch out with the car running all it will do is stall, could not get the car out of reverse and broke the shift cable trying.
    Right now I got the cover back on with 2 bolts holding it down and everything lined up right and the top lever will not budge will double check everything over the weekend.
    As for the sludge you should have seen it before i cleaned it.

The lever at the bottom with the pin on top in the center is that what engages reverse?
    Would also like to point out the bushings for the shift cables were missing...... all 4!

turbo addict

Yes that horizontal mounted lever in the center is what engages reverse. Rotate it counter clockwise to disengage reverse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	42831
    In that picture the orange lever is the reverse lever, rotate it counter clockwise to take it out of reverse. It is connected to the red block which is connected to the yellow shift selector. The yellow shift selector needs to be inline with the other two shift selectors above it before you can install the shifter housing.