Thread: Question on TIII turbo parts availability

turbo addict

Question on TIII turbo parts availability

I have a question or two on TIII turbos. I have a nice compressor housing and I was wondering if TIII backing plates and compressor wheels are readily available? If so, where? Turbo international perhaps?
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Re: Question on TIII turbo parts availability

The compressor wheels are standard wheels from any garrett T-II, T-II, and T-III application.
    If you need backing plates - I may have one or two laying around.. pay the shipping.
    Send a PM if interested.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Strange, I thought the TIII was an odd-ball and a hair larger than the TII?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    The compressor wheels are standard wheels from any garrett T-II, T-II, and T-III application.
    If you need backing plates - I may have one or two laying around.. pay the shipping.
    Send a PM if interested.
    Ken thanks for the reply. The wheel I have (that is tore up) is larger than 50 trim TII wheel, yet smaller than 60 trim Ford wheel. A old Turbonetics catalog I have lists a unusual 55 trim wheel for the T3 family. Same major 2.367" but 1.760" inducer. They list a part # of 20264. That appears to be the one I have. Housing certainly could have been cut for this slightly larger compressor wheel.
    Todd

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Strange, I thought the TIII was an odd-ball and a hair larger than the TII?
    Rob, Do yopu remember if that MP plus turbo used the 55 or 60 trim T3 wheel? I remember years ago you mentioning it was larger than the std. TII wheel. Yet was never mentioned in the sales catalogs as having a larger compressor wheel, just having the .63 housing.
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post

Rob, Do yopu remember if that MP plus turbo used the 55 or 60 trim T3 wheel? I remember years ago you mentioning it was larger than the std. TII wheel. Yet was never mentioned in the sales catalogs as having a larger compressor wheel, just having the .63 housing.
    Todd
    The MP plus is a 60 trim, same wheel as the ford 60 trim. What you found on your TIII jives with what I found as well, now I was going to say 54 trim, but itès been a while, so 55 trim may be right.

I could contact my turbo guy and see whatès doable, but if memory serves, even the backing plate is different for some reason that eludes me right now.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The tIII t3 ( ) wheel IS different. It has a larger inducer than the TII t3 but same exducer diameter. So, you could use the backing plate from any old garrett since they are all cut for 60mm exducer, but the wheel and housing are matched and cant be mixed with t1 or t2 parts.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The tIII t3 ( ) wheel IS different. It has a larger inducer than the TII t3 but same exducer diameter. So, you could use the backing plate from any old garrett since they are all cut for 60mm exducer, but the wheel and housing are matched and cant be mixed with t1 or t2 parts.
    Vigo,
    That is what I found on my TIII turbo. The inducer is larger than a TII, but smaller than a 60 trim (Ford style).
    The backing plate for a TIII is unique too. A couple of the changes are the large o-ring instead of the paper gasket like the std. TII housings to seal. The TIII backing plate is sort of an extension of the compressor housing. More than just a backing plate. Sort of hard to explain without a pic. The TIII compressor housing is cast much nicer than the TII housings and has a .52 A/R vs. the .42 A/R for the TII. That is reason for question. I have a perfect TIII compressor housing, but backing plate and wheel are toast.
    Does anyone have a source for either TIII backing plates, or t04b or to4e compressor housings for a t3 upgrade? Looks like wheels and backing plates are readily available in t04, but not seeing much for compressor housings.
    Todd

turbo addict

I have TIII backing plates, I might have a wheel too.

PM me if you're interesting.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I only have one TIII backing plate and housing not mounted to a turbo, but i did not notice those differences.. Thanks for the clarification! An o-ring actually sounds really nice instead of those stupid paper gaskets..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

What the heck are you doing with a tIII turbo Todd? I can't believe you're in this section, it must be painful for you!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Ken thanks for the reply. The wheel I have (that is tore up) is larger than 50 trim TII wheel, yet smaller than 60 trim Ford wheel. A old Turbonetics catalog I have lists a unusual 55 trim wheel for the T3 family. Same major 2.367" but 1.760" inducer. They list a part # of 20264. That appears to be the one I have. Housing certainly could have been cut for this slightly larger compressor wheel.
    Todd
    To make it easy, I've got a disassembled T-III that I was going to re-build - I'll send you the wheel and backing plate.
    I use a packing facility - cover the packing and shipping and you'll have another box under the tree.

I'll send a PM with cost and PayPal acct.