Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever ran a old K or L on neon electronics with a 2.0/2.4?

turbo addict

Anyone ever ran a old K or L on neon electronics with a 2.0/2.4?

In the future Im going to have a "spare" 2.0 DOHC motor. I also have a beat up rampage with a bad motor. I talked to a friend of mine who is really good with the stock electronics and he thought it would be possible to combine a early harness with a 95 neon harness since the 95 is non OBD2. I think it would make for a great little car, as a DOHC neon isnt the fastest but fun to drive. Swap that combo into a light rampage and youd have a rig you could haul stuff in the back, get 35mpg's and with and it might even break into the 14's. I know MS would probably make more sense and be easier (for some) but it would be nice to have it run like a factory car. Anyone ever attempted this?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Anyone ever ran a old K or L on neon electronics with a 2.0/2.4?

There are a few 2.0L or 2.4L turbos running around on 88/89 SMEC epectronics and the distributor mounted on end of intake cam.

Full neon wiring in an L body? not sure about that one... dash would be hardest to merge, depends on if you want to use the neon guage cluster, etc.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That's a shittload of work, just put the dizzy on the intake cam ala "rbryant", run a smec and tune using MPtune, way simpler than wiring in a Neon harness.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Im thinking of joining the harness at the firewall if possible. Maybe the best way to go about it would be to figure out if the neon harness could be stripped down to just run the motor, and then leave the stock hanress alone. If thats even possible. Using a turbo smec would work, that though hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure how well that would work because I was wanting to keep it NA. But with the turbo smec would make it easy to turbo... all though I have a BAD habit of things like that snowballing out of control and projects sitting due to $$$.

Not sure why you would want to splice? the SMEC harness literally plugs up, then reprogram for n/a.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It wouldn't be too bad to do IMO, but I wouldn't actually do it. There is so much more support and freeness with our ECUs it doesn't make sense to run the later stuff. If anything I would go megasquirt before stock Neon electronics.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I don't think the swap would be that hard, probably the best way to go if you intend to keep the engine N/A.
    It was one of the many scenarios I had in my head for my Rampage. I'd like a SOHC 5-speed 40mpg highway trucklet.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    In the future Im going to have a "spare" 2.0 DOHC motor. I also have a beat up rampage with a bad motor. I talked to a friend of mine who is really good with the stock electronics and he thought it would be possible to combine a early harness with a 95 neon harness since the 95 is non OBD2. I think it would make for a great little car, as a DOHC neon isnt the fastest but fun to drive. Swap that combo into a light rampage and youd have a rig you could haul stuff in the back, get 35mpg's and with and it might even break into the 14's. I know MS would probably make more sense and be easier (for some) but it would be nice to have it run like a factory car. Anyone ever attempted this?
    FWIW, I have the '95 Neon FCC Code nearly fully dis-assembled, certainly far enough to do the basic tuning you would want to do on an NA car - fuel, spark, rev limiter, speed limiter, etc. I still don't have the ISO Diagnostics all hashed out, but I do at least know where it is. I have a file for MP Tune that will show some of the basic tables, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

The fuel and spark lookups and calculations are essentially the same as the '92 T1 and '93 FFV code. That's what made it so easy to dis-assemble.

The big holdup is I'm trying to figure out how to re-flash it using MP Tune. No luck so far, but I haven't worked on it in the past few of weeks.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would think there are some public neon MS tunes that drive quite well...
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

I know MS would work, but MS costs $$$. I could probably pick up a 95 harness and ECU from a JY for under $50. For me, there is just something about having a factory tune, for driveabilty and MPG's. Chrysler spent a TON of money on making that tune. I just dont think anything I could make with MS or by tuning a SMEC would be as good. Close, but just not as good. Thats why I was asking about using a neon ECU/harness. The other problem with MS or a SMEC is turboing it would be WAY to tempting and the idea was a truckelt that was quick, fun to drive and got really good MPG's. If I wanted to make it go fast I would use a 3.0/auto just because Ive always wanted to build one.

I know MS would work, but MS costs $$$. I could probably pick up a 95 harness and ECU from a JY for under $50. For me, there is just something about having a factory tune, for driveabilty and MPG's. Chrysler spent a TON of money on making that tune. I just dont think anything I could make with MS or by tuning a SMEC would be as good. Close, but just not as good. Thats why I was asking about using a neon ECU/harness. The other problem with MS or a SMEC is turboing it would be WAY to tempting and the idea was a truckelt that was quick, fun to drive and got really good MPG's.
    Totally agree.

And 1st gen Neons aren't really all that much more complex than K based cars as far as wiring. I say go for it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I know MS would work, but MS costs $$$. I could probably pick up a 95 harness and ECU from a JY for under $50. For me, there is just something about having a factory tune, for driveabilty and MPG's. Chrysler spent a TON of money on making that tune. I just dont think anything I could make with MS or by tuning a SMEC would be as good. Close, but just not as good. Thats why I was asking about using a neon ECU/harness. The other problem with MS or a SMEC is turboing it would be WAY to tempting and the idea was a truckelt that was quick, fun to drive and got really good MPG's. If I wanted to make it go fast I would use a 3.0/auto just because Ive always wanted to build one.
    So going SMEC you'd want to turbo it? IF you have such low will power, better not go shopping otherwise you'd by all the sweets and ice cream,

Turbo L body's get 40+ mpg so not sure why an 2.4 even running a turbo cal wouldn't get that or better.

KISS otherwise another project gets junked due to getting in too deep,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Turbo L body's get 40+ mpg so not sure why an 2.4 even running a turbo cal wouldn't get that or better.
    I would venture to say because my SRT-4 with better aero than any L-body doesn't get nearly that highway MPG....

I don't even think Angelo can claim 40+ MPG from a 2.4 turbo.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I would venture to say because my SRT-4 with better aero than any L-body doesn't get nearly that highway MPG....

I don't even think Angelo can claim 40+ MPG from a 2.4 turbo.
    Sorry, I thought he said 2.4 but it still stands, why bother with a swap to a 2.0L n/a engine if he can get 40+ mpg using a turbo 2.2?

Sorry, I thought he said 2.4 but it still stands, why bother with a swap to a 2.0L n/a engine if he can get 40+ mpg using a turbo 2.2?
    I'd agree with you, but I don't think it's very easy to get that kind of MPG out of a 2.2 turbo.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

I'd agree with you, but I don't think it's very easy to get that kind of MPG out of a 2.2 turbo.
    You guys brag about it all the time, even g body and AA owners say they get mid 30's on trips. lol.

You guys brag about it all the time, even g body and AA owners say they get mid 30's on trips. lol.
    Not me... i live in the real world.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

In the future Im going to have a "spare" 2.0 DOHC motor
    thats why he is going 2.0, plus they get way better mileage than the 2.4 imo...

Not me... i live in the real world.
    i got 32 mpg in my s-60 turbo sc running on e-85?

turbo addict

So going SMEC you'd want to turbo it? IF you have such low will power, better not go shopping otherwise you'd by all the sweets and ice cream,

KISS otherwise another project gets junked due to getting in too deep,
    Its just that things snowball for me, as they probably do for everyone. Well since I have it apart I might as well... You know the drill. My 88 shadow hasn't had a engine for 8 years because I wanted it to run 11's or not run when I put it back together. Then life gets in the way and the project sits.

You really cant compare the turbo 2.2 to a DOHC 2.0. Stock to stock, no mods Id take the DOHC any day. Its just more fun, no turbo lag and more or less the same power. Dont forget the 2.2 runs out of power around 5200-5500 and the DOHC motor revs to 7k easy. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my 2.2 cars but at 150hp Ive got to give the nod to the DOHC. That motor is a large part of what gives 1gen neon their charm. The other side of it is reliability. My 97 DOHC neon has a ton of miles on it and hasnt had a issue since I bought it 5 years ago. With a turbo motor there is just more to go wrong.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The limiting factor for most guys in an L body is gear ratio and tire size. I got 33mpgs on the way to Jon Trotter's place a couple of years ago in my black Omni at 70+mph with a 3.85FD and a 205/50r15 tire.

Don't forget that neons have comparably small brakes and lighter wheels/tires than most turbo L bodys do. That's good for an mpg or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast