Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Here's my latest acquisition...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Here's my latest acquisition...

So tonight I was able to use chauffeur duty as a reason to give the GTS a shake down. I'm impressed with what a muffler that flows can do for performance.
    I've gained 3 in mg of vacuum at idle. Boost comes on quicker and hits 11 pounds with only about 1/3 throttle.
    Add to that a bit more 8 valve burble and hell, what a great way to spend $60.
    Now if I could just get the sun roof to stay closed over 50 mph.

Garrett booster

Nice project! Did you ever get a DC IC? I also have a G valve and some other mods.

I eventually put my DC IC into the bumper of my 1985 Turbo Z.

Original placement of DC IC (1990-2010): http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/...ler_mp_top.jpg

Where it is now (2010-today): http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ga...nt.php?id=1060

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=432

turbo addict

The rear track bar was bent and needed to be straightened out as well.
    Keep an eye out on it, it could bend again unless you strengthen it.
    http://polybushings.com/pages/1025install.html
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

I haven't done much with the GTS other than drive it.
    I have to decide if I'm going to monkey with the T1 system or just convert it to TII.
    Either way, it'll need the track bar beefed up.

I'm considering an engine swap for the LeBaron. Swapping a 1990 2.5 for the tired 2.2.

I figure I can rearrange the wiring to the logic module and run it on an 87 TII calibration.

My other option is to swap in an 88 Daytona harness I have and run it on a SMEC. I have a TI SMEC to go with this harness.

Bah stick with the LM if the wiring isnt hacked up...as you know pretty simple to convert over to CSX style map, besides socketing it is so much easier and the thing is inside the car, what better way to keep elements out of it. Just picked up a GTS from Maryland, couldnt pas up the deal and I am in the same boat as it were concerning T2 swap....I have nearly everything other than shock tower cable mount and clutch cable. My goal is T2 swap, 12-13 psi boost max, 523 trans 3.50 ratio 35+mpg and Lancer ground effects....Ive already installed KYB GR2 Exel (excel?) front and back, new fuel filter.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In addition to the above, you could actually solder the existing map to the late TI or TII board and still run it in the car. I've done that with guys at SDAC a time or two.

Thanks. What does the 2.5 need that a 2.2 cal is lacking?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Thanks. What does the 2.5 need that a 2.2 cal is lacking?
    Nothing. I think there are pretty good code bases out there for LMs running 2.5s these days.

Thats good to know, I have a performance exhaust system laying around from a Omni I was told will nearly go right no...we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    So tonight I was able to use chauffeur duty as a reason to give the GTS a shake down. I'm impressed with what a muffler that flows can do for performance.
    I've gained 3 in mg of vacuum at idle. Boost comes on quicker and hits 11 pounds with only about 1/3 throttle.
    Add to that a bit more 8 valve burble and hell, what a great way to spend $60.
    Now if I could just get the sun roof to stay closed over 50 mph.

2.2 cal typically has to much timing for the 2.5 and not enough fuel, but as Cordes mentioned the LM is easy to socket as it doesn't have all the potting crap over the electronics and there are plenty of 2.5 LM cals out there that it would be way more work to swap over to a SMEC or SBEC. you could probably pick up a used LM for 25-50 and socket it for 10 if you want the fancy ZIF socket and find a base cal from just about anyone out there.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

My goal is T2 swap, 12-13 psi boost max, 523 trans 3.50 ratio 35+mpg and Lancer ground effects....
    I have (until tomorrow when i trade it away) a t2 Shelby Lancer that i converted to 3.50fd 520 (last tuesday i finished that, i believe) and @14-16 psi, i have raced a Corolla XRS, a 2.0T Jetta GLI, and a modded ~05 Cummins truck which were all pretty close. It is fast enough to have fun, for sure. I have an 88 lancer shelby 2.2 auto that i am keeping, but i want to put a 2.5 and a lockup 2.6fd trans in it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

ΔΔI have almost finished putting lancer ground effects on then working on rims, silver vein lip and satin black for lace center section. Will stock t2 injectors support 16 psi..?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think the answer is 'it depends'. I personally would NOT try it without a wideband, and i definitely WOULD try it if i had a wideband. On my 2.5/mitsu/1pc caravan ive run 16-20 psi on the stock injectors with the base pressure bumped up about 10 psi.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Picked up the 1990 2.5 yesterday alone with a Mopar remanufactured 2.2 dated 2002, casting date 1987.
    The 2.5 passed leakdown testing on all four cylinders and now I'm thinking it would be a good engine for the CSX-T...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ge2&highlight=

The reman 2.2 must have seen some overboost and broke one piston. It looks like it was barely run, no ridge at all in any cylinder. Four pistons, rings and a hone and it'll be good as new.

Ultimately the LeBaron will get whatever hand me down engine happens to be near it when the time comes.

Garrett booster

Joining this thread a bit late, but thanks for the info and GREAT daily driver there.

I've got an '86 GTS (L3 handling, leather, fully loaded w/out sunroof. (yea, rear wiper even)). I got it for $100 with a blown head gasket (of course), front end damage, but 115K and great condition interior. I was planning to buy it and another GTS that was for sale that was stick and built, but 'base' beyond that. Sadly it sold before I got it so I decided to put $ into getting the GTS back. Well, I still don't regret it (have a GREAT mechanic at good rates so it wasn't bad) but it seem that every time I fix one thing, 2 more break on that car. I've already got $2K into it and although most everything's been done I find I still need to do struts, and replace the nose and bumper.

Back in 85 I had an 84 Regal T-Type (T tops and all) and all my friends were envious and all I wanted to do was trade it even for a FULLY equipped GTS w/Stick. It would have been a special order the dealer said. Well, that never happened and I still scour CL for Lancer/GTS's to this date.

QUESTION: I'm not looking for much more than the L3 handling out of it (no racer here any more) but I do want that GREAT flat cornering they had. What are some recommendations for struts?

OH, Also I saw the threads on the turning radius. Mine is great. I live on a wide 2 way street w/parking on both sides and it's one of the few cars that'll do a U turn from curb to opposite lane (not curb to curb). That's my judge. My 92 Imperial will BARELY do curb to curb. (have to line it up for about 1' on my driveway apron).
    I know I had the steering rack redone and there were a few choices and I had the 'W/15" Wheels and (forget exactly) something like 3.5 turns lock to lock' I'm very happy with it.

The latest 'issue' is the "dies out when coming to a stop" PITA and although all the threads say it's the distance sensor, mine tests out fine (ohm's read on 18 'clicks' on rotation) so since it only happens when hot I'm trying the coolant temp sensor now. BUT... (like I said before, fix 1...) in changing that I broke BOTH a nub off the vacuum "canister" on the top of the head AND the '1 to 4' vac. hose coming off of it. Let's hope that 86 Lebaron turbo is still at the yard nearby.

ALWAYS glad to hear about these... Most people don't even know what it is and I LOVE that car. Would love to add a few more to my collection (SOON!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234