Thread: Oil Cooling

Garrett booster

Oil Cooling

I am in need of an oil cooler. Did some searching and seems a sandwich adapter and cooler mounted in front of the rad. is best. The other option is running oil through the radiator via trans cooler. Is anyone running their turbo oil line through the trans cooler? Pics? I think I want to do both, keep oil cooler via dedicated cooler and cool oil right before it enters the turbo. This is a track car and I'm not running coolant through the turbo. Please share your expirence.
    thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Oil Cooling

There is no way I would run oil through a cooler before the turbo. I don't think it's needed there and it's also a spot for potential failure in a catastrophic way.

I also wouldn't run the oil through the rad. Not if, but when that does fail it'll take out the motor with less warning.

The sandwich adapter and separate cooler is a time proven method with minimal potential for failure.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Using a coolant type oil cooler simply loads up the cooling system, and if its marginal now, you will overload it doing that. Best is a seperate unit, I did that on the van, huge difference, now it sometimes runs too cool, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Using a coolant type oil cooler simply loads up the cooling system, and if its marginal now, you will overload it doing that. Best is a seperate unit, I did that on the van, huge difference, now it sometimes runs too cool, lol.
    Agreed.

You can pick up oil cooler kits at pretty inexpensive prices for small block fords. Direct fit for our cars.

Hybrid booster

I bought an oil pan for as SBC build that essentially had cooling tubes through the bottom. I don't recall seeing one for common blocks but it wouldn't be hard to build. I had some clogging issues because it was on a mud truck but nothing that a water hose didn't take care of.

turbo addict

what's the thread pitch for our oil filter??

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

anyone know of one with a built in Thermostat?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

3/4-16

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

A cooler for the oil to the turbo wouldn't be necessary. If you look at a cut-away diagram of the 2.2/2.5 oiling system in the FSM, as soon as the oil comes back into the engine via the oil filter it goes in the main oil galley that feeds the oil manifold which feeds the turbo. The oil isn't in the block that long before it's sent to the turbo.

I have air to oil oil coolers on both my van and my Dad's T&C wagon with the sandwich adaptors and they work great.

A.J.

turbo addict

Some 3.8L minivans have a an adapter that goes between the block and the oil filter. I pulled one of those. Some have suggested the oil on these cars gets too hot and the cooling system in the engine isn't designed well enough to cool it no matter the capability of your radiator. So the 3.8L adapter allows you to cool the oil with the cooling system. A nice TU radiator in a side-by-side rad setup or a full width rad setup should do a very good job of keeping things cool (i.e. not marginal).

Hybrid booster

Could you get a sandwich cooler to work on a S car?? Everything is so tight
    Gene

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bohn View Post
    Could you get a sandwich cooler to work on a S car?? Everything is so tight
    Most guys use a remote filter mount with an oil cooler in an L body.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    what's the thread pitch for our oil filter??

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I thought I had a thread on it, but can't find it. I have the part number at work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The one I use have a 180* thermostat built into it. This thread has a picture of the one I use with a part number, post #14: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=oil%20cooler

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    The one I use have a 180* thermostat built into it. This thread has a picture of the one I use with a part number, post #14: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=oil%20cooler

A.J.
    Have you thought about switching to the Aeroquip Socketless hose? I did so I wouldn't have to deal with oil leaks and hose clamps, actually had one leak and that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Have you thought about switching to the Aeroquip Socketless hose? I did so I wouldn't have to deal with oil leaks and hose clamps, actually had one leak and that was enough.
    I don't know what those are but I haven't had a problem with leaks. I use the hose clamps that have the shield inside them like our factory intercooler hoses have that protect the hose so the grooves don't cut into the hose. The oil cooler hoses hoses that I removed from my van to do my SRT-4 swap were four years old. They were a little stiff but still in good condition.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I don't know what those are but I haven't had a problem with leaks. I use the hose clamps that have the shield inside them like our factory intercooler hoses have that protect the hose so the grooves don't cut into the hose. The oil cooler hoses hoses that I removed from my van to do my SRT-4 swap were four years old. They were a little stiff but still in good condition.

A.J.
    You have AN fittings that the hose slides on and won't come off. I don't feel safe using hose clamps on oil lines, lol, had one seep, scared me. Look it up, its neat stuff, I use it for my turbo coolant lines and transmission cooler lines as well.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

I have used the push-loc hoses on everything for the last 4 years or so including the stock CSX's that my family owns. Oil, coolant, fuel etc. Much more secure and easier to take apart during maintenance. The AN fittings loosen up much easier than the stock inverted flare fittings.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert