Thread: Coolant/Temp/Heat Issues

Garrett booster

Coolant/Temp/Heat Issues

1990 Shadow VNT Comp 2.2

So while taking a brief spin, I noticed my temp gauge going up to 3/4. Now I haven't had heat at all, I know the core needs a good flush. But if the heater core is plugged, will it prevent good circulation of coolant? Or could this be the water pump crapping out, or dying thermostat? It's going in for a flush next week but it would be good to know if it needs any other parts or a direction I can point my mechanic in. Thanks!

Hybrid booster

Re: Coolant/Temp/Heat Issues

If the heater core is plugged then chances are that the pump and thermostat also have some blockage. It can also be the fan or fan relay. You can bypass the relay and run the fan off of a switch to check. Turn it on and drive it around, see what happens to the temp. If the fan doesn't turn on or turns on but doesn't produce much air, replace the fan/motor. If it stays down then replace the relay(or just leave the switch in the cab and turn it on when you get in the car). If the fan is working and the temp still rises, flush the system and replace the pump.

Also check your radiator cap and pressure test the system. If its losing pressure then the water can boil, and when it boils it will overheat the car.

If it none of that fixes it then expect a blown head gasket or cracked head/block.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If the heater core is plugged, it will cause the temp to fluctuate as its a bypass. Check the top rad hose after it gets hot, if its at operating temp then cooling system is fine and the core is plugged and/or the bypass valve for the a/c is malfunctioning if it has one.
    I like to use CLR on the heater cores, works great with a back flush. Blow out the core, fill with CLR, let it sit for 30-60 mins and back flush. This could cause a leak so be warned.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks guys, this is what I suspected. The fan and relay are functional. It's a no A/C car, so that isn;t the issue. I was already planning on having the system flushed, I may have them replace the pump either way, as a NOS Mopar water pump was included when I purchased the car.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Does it not have AC now, or was it removed? Either way I would make sure there isn't the bypass valve in there as it tends to cause these problems.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Does it not have AC now, or was it removed? Either way I would make sure there isn't the bypass valve in there as it tends to cause these problems.
    Never had it. It is one of the bare bones comp cars.