Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air filter placement.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Air filter placement.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This 3" BY 10" S&B is what I'm using on a 3" Spectre Hose. What do you think?
    That's pretty good, I was looking at something like that before I went 4".
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That's pretty good, I was looking at something like that before I went 4".
    Do you have the 4" necked down at the turbo inlet or do you have some kind of bodacios compressor housing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Hybrid booster

Nothing wrong with that at all, its how most people do it. I simply want to see what the results will be if the filter is on the other side of the turbo and if pulling in air from a cooler area will help. My question was if anyone had ever tried it, because if it had been tried and failed then I wouldn't bother with it. Since this idea only works with forced induction it means that it may have been overlooked for many years, considering that commercial use of turbochargers is still relatively new.

The turbo is a pump, and when you remove a restriction from a pump(the filter in this case) it will get into full spool quicker. How much quicker is the question. Putting the filter under pressure increases its flow as well adding to the possible gains. It could mean that we can use smaller, cheaper filters that consume less area of the engine compartment all while increasing, even if marginally, engine output at lower speeds.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    Nothing wrong with that at all, its how most people do it. I simply want to see what the results will be if the filter is on the other side of the turbo and if pulling in air from a cooler area will help. My question was if anyone had ever tried it, because if it had been tried and failed then I wouldn't bother with it. Since this idea only works with forced induction it means that it may have been overlooked for many years, considering that commercial use of turbochargers is still relatively new.

The turbo is a pump, and when you remove a restriction from a pump(the filter in this case) it will get into full spool quicker. How much quicker is the question. Putting the filter under pressure increases its flow as well adding to the possible gains. It could mean that we can use smaller, cheaper filters that consume less area of the engine compartment all while increasing, even if marginally, engine output at lower speeds.
    You could get a corvair with a turbo. Chrysler made a million turbo cars about 25 years ago...

Hybrid booster

This 3" BY 10" S&B is what I'm using on a 3" Spectre Hose. What do you think?
    It does bring a new thought to the table though.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You could get a corvair with a turbo. Chrysler made a million turbo cars about 25 years ago...
    Yes but how long did it take them to realize that cams are better on top than in the block? And I wouldn't call a turbo Corvair a common vehicle. In mass production it wasn't until a couple decades ago that turbos were widely used, and it wasn't until just a few years ago that they were common place.

Yes but how long did it take them to realize that cams are better on top than in the block? And I wouldn't call a turbo Corvair a common vehicle. In mass production it wasn't until a couple decades ago that turbos were widely used, and it wasn't until just a few years ago that they were common place.
    The turbo corvairs weren't terribly uncommon. In the 80s there were tons of turbo cars. They were actually quite common among the big three lineups. At Ford you could get a turbo Tbird or mustang, at GM there was the regal et. al. and for a while the turbo firebird and trans am. Chrysler put a turbo in every FWD body style they sold and literally made over 1 million of them. The 80s were the decade of the turbo car.

Hybrid booster

Saab and Volvo also put turbos on everything back then but when speaking of development 20 years isn't all that long ago. Just look at how much has changed when comparing a new Ford Ecoboost to an old Trans Am 301 turbo or GNX. With each passing model year vehicles are being changed and updated almost indefinitely. There were a lot of turbo cars in the 80s, but even the highest output cars back then pale in comparison to newer, smaller cars. If this fails then at least everyone will know what not to do. If it works then it might be one more step forward.

Saab and Volvo also put turbos on everything back then but when speaking of development 20 years isn't all that long ago. Just look at how much has changed when comparing a new Ford Ecoboost to an old Trans Am 301 turbo or GNX. With each passing model year vehicles are being changed and updated almost indefinitely. There were a lot of turbo cars in the 80s, but even the highest output cars back then pale in comparison to newer, smaller cars. If this fails then at least everyone will know what not to do. If it works then it might be one more step forward.
    I guess recent is just a relative term then. The car has only been going strong for about 100 years. To me 20% of that time is quite significant.

Hybrid booster

The four stoke engine was available in the 1800s but it didn't get an alternator until the 60s. As technology advances, so do techniques. Every success began with an unproven theory and every failed theory was an experimental success.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Do you have the 4" necked down at the turbo inlet or do you have some kind of bodacios compressor housing?
    All the way to the turbo, as my cover has a 4" inlet. My old Turbonetics turbo had a 3" cover but if I did downsize to a 3" cover, I"d keep the 4" setup. You even posted in my thread, going 4" leaned me out big time,

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post911671

Correct, hence why going to a 4" setup on the van made a huge difference, so much so I had to jack up my fuel tables.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Correct, hence why going to a 4" setup on the van made a huge difference, so much so I had to jack up my fuel tables.
    Yep. My intention is to figure out if I can get that same huge difference using a filter that consumes less space. We can always mount a filter the size of a sombrero on the roof if we truly need that much air, it would just be nicer to not have to worry about space or tubing bends. My assumption is even if I can prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this will work better there will be people who refuse it. Much like fuel injection and turbochargers, there will always be people who think the stuff designed in 1958 is the best. No matter how many times I tell my Uncle that his Duster would pick up power, economy and reliability if he let me install a TPI fuel injection system he will always think that his Holley double pumper will be superior.

turbo addict

The reduced lag time is another possible bonus of your altered filter location. Would you respond in this thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...boost-database
    To plot any changes you may encounter?

Hybrid booster

Absolutely. If it doesn't work I want to share it. I'd hate to know more than one person wasted their time and money on something that failed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123