Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo not spinning at idle

turbo addict

Turbo not spinning at idle

Ok so I took my intake tube and hot side pipe off to put my new bov flange on. Well I put the hot side pipe back on and thought "man I wanna see the turbo spin!" so I left the intake off and started it up. Well the turbo wasnt spinning. Wtf. So I give it a little gas and it spins. Let it idle and it stops. So I figure it needs to warm up. So I go drive it and boost it a few times. Didn't feel any different than before. Boosts just fine. Drove like normal. Pull back in the driveway and expect it to be spinning. Well it's not. But it's spinning a little more freely. But still not at idle. I shut the car off and feel for shaft play. It's got a little in and out. No up and down. It's a little hard to spin. Feels like a fresh turbo. My question what the hell could cause this? Not enough oil? Turbo is a turbonetics super 60 unit with a 3 inch swingvalve and a 3 inch exhaust. Mated to a ported exhaust manifold.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Turbo not spinning at idle

I wouldn't expect that it would spin much. I've not looked down at one in a long while, but a stock TII turbo on a more mild sounding setup that what you describe moved like a slow ceiling fan last I saw.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The in and out is what can be bad, the up/down slack is, generally, taken up by the oil film/wedge and "floats" the shaft, even dampens minor vibrations...

I was going to say you're spoiled by double BB turbos, they'll spin for days after you shut them down it seems and spool just breathing on them, but if the in-out is significant, it might be getting to the point the thrust bearing is letting things slightly drag against the housing, etc...

Hopefully someone (say Chris, etc) will see this and chime in, could be nothing, could be getting ready to self-destruct...

I had one do just that, but with no real warning, one day on the way home, I'm get on it on the on-ramp and just about the time I hit "warp speed", the thing noses over and has almost no power! After much investigation, and turbo disassembly, it turns out the thrust washer/bearing "exploded" into many pieces, letting the shaft shift to one side and stop, with remarkably little damage to the parts...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict
    Yea id like to know before something like that happens lol. But I do remember my 50 trim and my stock Garrett spinning at idle.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I've seen a few race cars with exposed compressors where the turbo does not spin at idle.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5Tj...e_gdata_player

Video recorded on my iPhone. It's just me spinning the wheel with my finger while it's cold. Got another turbonetics unit here that spins way easier than this one does. I did check shaft play again. No in and out. But there is up and down. I'll check it again tomorrow when it's warmer. I'll also check the oil feed line.

turbo addict

my S60 doesn't spin at idle but it doesn't seem as tight as yours. my compressor seal is blown as it pukes oil into the ic and back up the fresh air tube.

turbo addict

Is it dynamic or carbon seal? Carbon seal will feel a little tighter on a fresh rebuild. I agree with others if you are feeling in and out movement on a very low mileage turbo, something is not correct with thrust. I personally wouldn't be alarmed that turbo doesn't spin at idle. I would say that is the norm for a journal bearing turbo.
    Todd

turbo addict
    I'll check it again when warned up. I'll get some video.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

I wouldnt worry about it, that turbo is going to have more inertia then a small mitsu or something because of the bigger wheels, etc...

Also, do you have a clipped turbine wheel? That would also let more airflow bypass around it making it less likely to spin at idle/low airflow.
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

turbo addict

oh yea a mitsu spins constantly at idle.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CNH320 View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it, that turbo is going to have more inertia then a small mitsu or something because of the bigger wheels, etc...

Also, do you have a clipped turbine wheel? That would also let more airflow bypass around it making it less likely to spin at idle/low airflow.
    i wanna say its just a stock super 60 turbo with a 3 inch swingvalve. thats what ive been told.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Is it dynamic or carbon seal? Carbon seal will feel a little tighter on a fresh rebuild. I agree with others if you are feeling in and out movement on a very low mileage turbo, something is not correct with thrust. I personally wouldn't be alarmed that turbo doesn't spin at idle. I would say that is the norm for a journal bearing turbo.
    Todd
    should be a 4 piece carbon seal iirc

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Weird, I've checked quite a few turbo cars including a TII and they definately spin at idle, my GT35R is moving at idle, which being a bigger turbo, shouldn't. A TII type 60 trim should be hauling at idle.

The wheel seems stiff on your vid, maybe post up a vid at idle.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Barring some real defect, oil viscosity on a journal bearing turbo can add some drag...

With no in/out play and a fresh rebuild with carbon seals, it almost seems like you'd expect a bit of "bedding-in", if it's me, I'm probably going to mark a few dates on the calender to come back and check it again a few times down the road to be sure it's not becoming a problem, but otherwise I'm chalking it up to not being quite "run-in"...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Mine doesn't drag that much.

turbo addict
    Oil temp was 180ish. I just drove it 30 miles all highway. Immediately got out and left it running and took the intake off. It was catching a little but much better. The oil temp was around 220.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That is not right, that wheel should be moving. Either you have a massive exhaust leak-doubtful or with oil pressure, the shaft/bearing is binding up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That is not right, that wheel should be moving. Either you have a massive exhaust leak-doubtful or with oil pressure, the shaft/bearing is binding up.
    Alright. I'll check some other things.

turbo addict
    Check for a filter for the Turbo, it may be clogged. Turbonetics puts a little brass filter in the oil feed hole of the Turbo. Check to see if there.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast