Thread: 90 Daytona C/S VNT

Garrett booster

90 Daytona C/S VNT

I just picked up this 90 C/S Daytona from Itsadaytona from the TD site, Joe is great to deal with by the way. Car has been sitting a few years and needs to be put back together, cylinder head is loosely bolted on, bad gas in the tank. Car needs some minor rust issues taken care of. The main goal here is to get it running good and later do a full restoration. First thing to do is pull the head back off and check the motor out and start re-assmbling her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daytona AGS 020.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	42562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daytona AGS 014.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	42561  
    Last edited by METZ; 03-31-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    1984 DC Rampage 1990 Daytona C/S VNT 1988 Conquest

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 90 Daytona C/S VNT

From what i hear those are extremely rare, like 30-something made? If so, I had the fortune/misfortune of plundering over 3% of the total production (one car) in a junkyard once.

They are definitely cool cars, glad to see another one with an owner who wants to make it better and fix it up.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Saw this on the other site. Im glad that someone is saving it. I also had the fortune/misfortune of plundering 3% of the production in the j yard.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    From what i hear those are extremely rare, like 30-something made? If so, I had the fortune/misfortune of plundering over 3% of the total production (one car) in a junkyard once.

They are definitely cool cars, glad to see another one with an owner who wants to make it better and fix it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    Saw this on the other site. Im glad that someone is saving it. I also had the fortune/misfortune of plundering 3% of the production in the j yard.
    Thanks, I'm pretty excited to bring it back to life. I would like to find out about the production numbers, I wonder if Chrysler can confirm the actual numbers? As for the plundered cars at least you guys made use of them before they were crushed.

I decided to pull the head off just to take a look see, I'm glad I did, the block is .005 warped when checking it diagonally. It was pretty dirty but after cleaning the surface again and again, still .005 out. I'm taking it all down now to see what's what, hoping to just machine the deck and put it back together. The head doesn't have the center cooling holes but I'm assuming they aren't a big deal, correct me if I'm wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs engine 004.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	42672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs engine 005.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	42673

I had 1 also,long ago.It was a 568/AGS car.Delete too crank windows,no radio.Traded it to another member here.Story was only 32 built in 90,only 7 AGS cars. check the C/S registry for more info.
    I got my 86 C/S from the same JY 1 year later, the same yard address even.

Garrett booster

I pulled the engine completely apart. The pistons are toast. Lots of scuffing. The pistons were on the rods backwards but I doubt that caused any damage. Another thing that was peculiar, when I removed the front gear on the crankshaft it didn't have a key. The gear was on there super tight so I'm thinking it may have been running w/o the key, very strange. Everything else in the engine looks fine. I want to go back with forged pistons, line hone the mains, deck the block and bore it out to the next oversize. Unfortunately funds do not allow this amount of work at this time.
    Luckily I have in my garage a std bore common block, mahle pistons, forged crank, just waiting for assembly. New rings & bearings and I should be in business.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston 003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	42908  

Garrett booster

Just an update, car is running again with a rebuilt engine. Everything is back to factory spec now, stock Mahle pistons std size, new rings, bearings, gaskets. The motor runs great! One issue I had was it was running a 3 bar map sensor with the stock calibration. It ran terrible until I figured it out and changed it to the stock sensor. The car at one time had a custom 3 bar calibration with +20's, I have the computer and one day I want to put it back to it's former glory. Someone along the way has upgraded the turbo to a larger VNT, not sure the specs but it's in good shape, the motor seems to like it.
    Next project is pull the transmission out and rebuild it. This past weekend when changing the axle seals I noticed the fluid looked like it has some shiny particles in it. Could be a bearing going out? It shifted fine so I'm hoping it's just a minor issue.
    Also replacing the rack & pinion while I'm at it. It's leaking and tie rods are loose. bellows are gone.

turbo addict

how do you know if the pistons are on the rods backwards? I can see being installed in the block wrong but shouldn't the pistons to rods be the same?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    how do you know if the pistons are on the rods backwards? I can see being installed in the block wrong but shouldn't the pistons to rods be the same?
    Look at the valve reliefs compared to the oil hole in the rod?

turbo addict

which way are the oil holes supposed to be?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    which way are the oil holes supposed to be?
    Toward the back of the block I believe. And by back of the block I mean the firewall side when in the engine is in the car.

turbo addict

Cordes is right the oil holes face the thrust side of the block which is the right side looking at the back of the block.

Garrett booster

This might explain why the pistons were scuffed? I know they were on backwards according the service manual. I know the car had a bad radiator so I figured that was why the pistons were scuffed from overheating.
    I remember reading a long time ago that a trick for a little extra horse power was to place the pistons on backwards, I just figured thats was what was going on here, just have to be sure the rods get installed the right way. I forget what engine they were referring to, might be a 340 mopar or 350 chevy not 2.2 also was stated for a race only motor not a mod for the street.

turbo addict

My experience tells me the oil squirters don't make any difference. They are supposed to point to the major thrust side, but I've torn down a few that they were on wrong and it didn't hurt anything.

Your scuffing is probably caused by overheating.

Garrett booster

After cleaning the outside of the trans which took a few hours, LOL. I pulled the transmission apart and washed it out, everything looked normal inside with the exception of the input shaft clearance which was way loose, I added a thicker shim and now the wierd noise I was hearing at idle is gone! I put it back together and re-sealed everything. I did find out the number on the trans matches the vin # as well as the engine!
    The rack & pinion had broken boots and a bad inner tie rod so I just replaced it with a new rack and a new high presure hose. Also replaced a sticking caliper on the driver side. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans  001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	44819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans  004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	506.5 KB 
ID:	44818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90 cs trans. 002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	534.5 KB 
ID:	44817
    Last edited by METZ; 04-21-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    My experience tells me the oil squirters don't make any difference. They are supposed to point to the major thrust side, but I've torn down a few that they were on wrong and it didn't hurt anything.

Your scuffing is probably caused by overheating.
    I agree. The radiator had several leaks. I bought a used radiator from TD member turbo-charger. She runs nice and cool now!
    Last edited by METZ; 04-22-2013 at 09:43 AM.