Thread: PART II- Lancer Shelby vs SC Harley F150

Mitsu booster

PART II- Lancer Shelby vs SC Harley F150

Last night it went down.....again.

The kid with the Harley truck was obviously stunned by our last race and felt the world had to be put back the way it ought to be. Within a week he purchased a new pulley to up his boost 4-5 psi and a SCT tune. He also put HUGE tires on the back. (So wide he had to go to 3 different shops to find one that could mount them.) Anyway his truck was pulling "MUCH harder now" (his words) and he "knows his truck is faster than me" and that's what he's been telling all our friends and neighbors. I had to remind him of that last actual race we had......

A couple weeks after that first race my antifreeze was becoming very aerated and overflowing. The head gasket needed to be replaced. There in my garage sat the dust covered engine from my Omni GLHT. Unlike the near-stock Lancer, the top end on the Omni had proven to be quite formidable on the streets.
    With a quick swap to that setup I was now armed with a FWD stage 1 head, T3/T4 turbo, 2 piece intake, ported exhaust manifold, +20's, TBI cam, and I went ahead and got a 3" turbo-back exhaust put on it. The kid with the truck came over a couple times as I was sorting out some little things here and there but never suspected a thing. Still looked stock as a rock to him. The Lancer that previously dyno'd a mild 190HP, now spun the rollers to 265HP 306TQ!!

Since our last race.....

we both had our mods done

I was happy with my dyno run and the car felt strong.

He went to the local track and ran an 8.8 1/8 mi and later went on to smoke my buddy's stock '04 Mustang GT.

He was confident and so was I. We went down to a perfect nearby stretch of road and stopped side by side. 3 honks later the Lancer spins as if it's on ice, I try to back off in first to no avail so I short-shift second. It immediately shoots to 6K RPM and I simply wait as the speed of the car tries to match the revs through the 40 degree air. He's about 2 lengths ahead already then it's finally time for 3rd gear. Now it's GO time! The turbo is whistling at fever pitch and I start reeling him in as if he deployed a parachute. Top of third and my front bumper is at his door and i knew one easy shift into 4th and it would be over. I shut it down when I was a length ahead.

Bwahahaha!! It worked out perfectly with the mods I never told him about and his over confidence in his new parts- it couldn't have gone better and I think that is what we all want with these cars is situations like these.....

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. Just as the race had ended the 'check gauges' light came on. Looked at temp and it was just below the red. I immediately thought -stuck thermostat- as this happened last year. As that thought went through my mind the lights were dimming darker by the second. The volts were at 0. My lightweight lawn mower battery lasted about 9 seconds trying to power everything on its own and the car just died and I coasted to a stop. In the dark on a lonely road. Couldn't even put on my hazard lights. Luckily it was just the alternator belt. I guess it broke during the race. Unfortunately that belt turns the water pump too so I was screwed. ( at least i was at 11pm in the middle of nowhere.) So my stellar victory was kind of short lived as my wife came out with a tow strap and the Harley F150......

.....................towed me home.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: PART II- Lancer Shelby vs SC Harley F150

LOL!! Great story!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Bitter sweet victory! Great story writing also!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

lucky the guy wasn't a sore loser and told you to f-off and walk home.... LOL
    Did you run down riley fuzzell towards creekside or towards the shop? There are so many cops around there nowadays, you two guys are pretty brave to race...
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict
    Lol nice kill. Atleast he didn't leave ya there.

Mitsu booster

He's a good guy, we just have a friendly rivalry with the racing. He actually roasted his tranny at the track and I followed him home (at 35 mph) in the minivan full of screaming kids that had to pee. So now we're even. :-)
    Cindy- we raced on the Hardy feeder road where it splits to 2 lanes. It was about 11pm so it's pretty baron and there's nothing really out there.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice story and kudo's for him helping you out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info