Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new ride, Turbo 98 neon

turbo addict
    I own a 2003 Chevy silver ado SS. There is a set of injectors and fuel rail on the forum that I am on for 50 bucks if your interested. I don't think he would be willing to part but 50 bucks for 8 injectors (2 sets for you) is not bad. Let me know and I will get you his info.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Re: My new ride, Turbo 98 neon

Thats a great price but with xmas and buying a new car funds are tight. I wont be able to do anything until after the 1st of the year. Do you know if LQ9 injectors are high impedance?

turbo addict
    I am not sure but I can ask
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Uhhggg.... Got on the freeway yesterday to go to the inlaws for turkey day and instantly could tell something wasnt right. No power, bogging, and LOUD. Pulled over and found out the turbo had somehow rattled loose from the manifold. One Nut was tight, one was loose and two were missing! The DP had also came loose. Im seriously wondering if someone didnt try to steal the turbo. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he said he was driving it at least 80 miles a day for the past 9 months and never had a problem, and I trust him. Now I just dont know if it happened right before I bought it at the PO house, or mine.

turbo addict

Vibrations will loosen fasteners. Do you plan to use locking devices this time?

turbo addict

This is what I found today when I went to bolt the DP back up. The spring bolts were replaced with just bolts, awesome Idea of the PO's. The cat was cut out and a couple different pieces welded in. I dont think they got the angle right coming off of the turbo and instead of fixing it, just bolted it down solid. I ran out of time today, but will get it fixed tomorrow. Actually looks like the factory DP from my CSX will be a close fit. The surprising this is after all the cutting and welding they did on the DP, they left the "pinch" at the bottom of the DP that is the most restrictive piece in the entire exhaust system.

turbo addict

Here is the nasty 2.25" DP I took off. Misaligned and welded horribly.

If your not familiar with neons they have this NASTY pinch at the bottom of the DP/cat. Smashed half flat and then the rear 02 protrudes into it. Easily the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. I cant believe with all the cutting on the DP they didnt bother to remove this. I built a new DP today, from a 89 P body DP. Got it tacked, half welded and ran out of gas. Story of my life lol, Ill put some pics up of it when its done.

boostaholic

If I remember correctly the check valve mike is talking about went on the signal line to the RRR to keep it from seeing Vacuum.That down pipe is horrible.With the kit it came with a pice and instructions on how to shorten the stock dp and install new flange.Lurk on Neons.org and see if you can pick up a 3 inch DP Hahn use to sell.I think I still have the small one lying around that came with the kits.They also used a map clamp to trick the map.I cant remember the exact specs of it buy Ill ask my friend who I worked with there about it.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    If I remember correctly the check valve mike is talking about went on the signal line to the RRR to keep it from seeing Vacuum.That down pipe is horrible.With the kit it came with a pice and instructions on how to shorten the stock dp and install new flange.Lurk on Neons.org and see if you can pick up a 3 inch DP Hahn use to sell.I think I still have the small one lying around that came with the kits.They also used a map clamp to trick the map.I cant remember the exact specs of it buy Ill ask my friend who I worked with there about it.
    The last 3" Hahn down pipe I saw for sale was the one I sold in like 2008 or 2009.

turbo addict

Found the map clap the other day. Little black box hanging out of the harness. Its HUGE. Im gonna pop the case off and see if I cant heat shrink it and tuck it in the harness. I tracked down a pic of the Hahn 3" DP. Very nice piece and really similar to how I am planning on re-doing it down the road but I am going to use a v-band on both ends. Stuck a scope down one of the spark plug holes and it seems to have aftermarket pistons, but I cant match them to any pictures online. I may have came up with a way to progressively pull timing with boost on a stock ecu that Ive never seen done before but i have some testing to do first.

turbo addict
    Could you use a SRT Cal? And build off of that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

No, completely different crank trigger.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Found the map clap the other day. Little black box hanging out of the harness. Its HUGE. Im gonna pop the case off and see if I cant heat shrink it and tuck it in the harness. I tracked down a pic of the Hahn 3" DP. Very nice piece and really similar to how I am planning on re-doing it down the road but I am going to use a v-band on both ends. Stuck a scope down one of the spark plug holes and it seems to have aftermarket pistons, but I cant match them to any pictures online. I may have came up with a way to progressively pull timing with boost on a stock ecu that Ive never seen done before but i have some testing to do first.
    DO NOT take the map clamp apart,its full of epoxy that is impossible to remove.They did that so it couldnt be duplicated.Might be better to extend the wires and hide it.The DP is very nice,It was developed on my car.I had 3 inch all the way back,no cat.Pistons could be Je's which was most popular for them.They had quite a few revisions of them or Wiesco's,2nd most popular choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12