Thread: 2012 Shelby Registry Update

2012 Shelby Registry Update

It's been a very exciting year for me and the Shelby Registry. I've been pretty swamped with work as I spent most of the last year upgrading my Cisco certification to CCNP - Voice. Because of this, I've not been able to process any registrations. With that said, as of about three weeks ago, I've started a major upgrade to both the website and the backend database. Some of you may have already noticed the subtle changes.

Although the Registry website looks almost the same, all of the current changes are strictly under the hood. I've completely revamped the underlying structure and the data is now pulled from a database instead of being static web pages that I have to manually edit. This will make updating the registrations a very easy task. Phase 1 complete!

In addition, I've changed the backend database from Access to MySQL which gives me a lot more flexibility. Phase 2 complete!

I'm also going through all existing registrations to verify the VINs. Since many were missing information or maybe incorrect, this is a work in progress. With that said, I'm down to about 52 invalid VINs out of 1662 registered vehicles and 6133 total production. Just a few minutes ago, 32 notifications were sent to existing owners. I've received bounce messages for the following:

Robby Craig
    Owen Kelley
    John Wozniak
    Kevin Underwood
    John Laird
    John Schwenzfeier
    Joe Forcier
    Mike Cecil
    If you know any of these guys, please have them contact me via the Shelby Registry web site. Phase 3 in progress.

I'm working on a program that will automatically queue new registrations into the DB. I've run a few tests and this should go live in the next week or two. I currently have a total of 244 registrations/updates in the queue. Phase 4 in progress.

Although the database is relatively small, it has well over 10,000 records and is very complex. Because of this, I'm writing a backend control panel to manage the process once a new registration comes in. Phase 5 in progress.

Once Phase 5 is complete, I'll be able to very quickly verify a registration and it will automatically flow to the web site.

Phase 6 is the complete redesign of the current site. I'm not sure what features will be added, by I'd love to hear from folks about what they would like to see.

I appreciate everyone's continued support as we get closer to a completely automated system.

Cheers.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Re: 2012 Shelby Registry Update

Wow, sounds good. Thank you for maintaining the registry for all of us.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Garrett booster

i have sent my info in a couple of weeks ago didn't see or hear anything so i sent it again today???

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Thanks for doing all this work and maintaining the registry.

How about a registry for 1984-1986 GLH Omnis. Not numbered cars, but I bet people would be interested in how many color and induction variations are still around from each year.
    Well, I'm interested.

Thanks again.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Thanks for doing all this work and maintaining the registry.
    +1, great work Bill! Let me know how we can work together as SDAC is very much in support of projects liek this

How about a registry for 1984-1986 GLH Omnis. Not numbered cars, but I bet people would be interested in how many color and induction variations are still around from each year.
    Well, I'm interested.

Thanks again.
    I think a broader focus registry would be great and am willing to help out this effort!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar brett View Post
    i have sent my info in a couple of weeks ago didn't see or hear anything so i sent it again today???
    Brett, I have 251 registrations (new and updates) in the queue. I may have yours twice but that's fine. I'm currently doing a lot of testing so I don't mess up the database. I've spent about 75 hours in the last month working on the various phases. You will be notified when your update is processed. Thanks for the info! Cheers.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Thanks for doing all this work and maintaining the registry. How about a registry for 1984-1986 GLH Omnis. Not numbered cars, but I bet people would be interested in how many color and induction variations are still around from each year. Well, I'm interested. Thanks again.
    I've had a lot of people over the years ask for just this type of stuff. However, as I'm sure many can attest, I'm barely keeping my head above water with the task at hand. With that said, I'll be more than happy to share my stuff when I'm done if anyone else is interested. Cheers.

Hybrid booster

my suggestions: mandatory description of car and at least one photo! I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see more info about these shelby's instead of just a name and a #!

Also, If interested, I have names and whereabouts of about 20 more CSX-T's that may or may not be in the registry (as well as CSX-T #001), and also mine (the "supposed" one that was built for the daughter of Thrifty)....

I would like to see full names not be published. I agree with the registry and what it does for the hobby, but I don't want non-enthusiasts able to do a Google search of my name and learn personal information about me.
    Last edited by glhs0075; 11-20-2012 at 06:58 PM.

www.wc-tm.com

Hybrid booster

Here's csx-t #739 for sale, it's not mine and is not in the registry, but should be!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3380745363.html

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I would like to see full names not be published. I agree with the registry and what it does for the hobby, but I don't want non-enthusiasts able to do a Google search of my name and learn personal information about me.
    I certainly understand that some folks have an issue with putting out information in a public forum. Let me address all of the concerns that have been expressed over the years and my response (I probably should add this to the Registry?):

Q1. Why do you need to know X about me or my vehicle? With X being name, address, VIN, etc.

A1. There are a few reasons. I need your name as some static reference for the database as well as knowing who you are if I need to contact you. I REQUIRE very few things: name, address, city , state, zip code and vehicle model. I put a lot of thought into this over the years and I feel it's the least amount of data possible to be able to associate an owner with a vehicle. Everything is stored in a VERY offline database and is NEVER used by anyone other than myself and I use it solely as contact information. I would prefer that everyone filled out every field especially the number and VIN of the vehicle. This allows more accurate accounting of the vehicles. I think everyone would be surprised at the number of issues I've seen. Vehicles with the wrong dash plaque, people who claim to own a vehicle but have no information, etc. I'm not trying to make people give me anything they aren't comfortable with but the nature of a registry means that some personal information is necessary. I'm just as paranoid with YOUR information as I am with my own.

Q2. Why don't you allow vehicle X?

A2. It's really a matter of scope. I have limited time and resources so I have to limit what vehicles I can reasonably support. Over the years, I've had times where I became so overwhelmed that I wasn't able to adequately process the numbered vehicles. It doesn't mean I don't love them as much as you do. I have volunteer my system (once complete) to anyone willing to take on the task of registering other vehicles. It's taken hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of hours to get where I currently am. I have owner data on 27% of the vehicles produced. When I first started this back in 1995 it was just a part of my personal web page.

Q3. I've registered my vehicle and I still don't see it on-line.

A3. This is a one person production and sometimes I cannot update it as often as I like. When I started this back in 1995, I never thought it would turn into what it has. The Shelby Registry web site just had it's 14 year anniversary just last month. With that said, this is definitely a labor of love and I've had a lot of support over the years. Barry Goodall & SDAC made a big donation for the development of the previous system (which partially automated the listings), Neil Emiro and Tim Hawbaker provided me with the Shelby build lists. Chris Papademetrious was the very first person to make a monetary donation. This doesn't even come close to all of the supportive email I've received over the years.

I will think about giving owners the option of something other than their name. I'm not sure where I can go with this but I'll give it some thought.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I sent him an email. Thanks!

Cheers.

Mitsu booster

Hey man, glad to see you're still running the registry. I was afraid it was abandoned, especially considering it appears you're a one man show.

I submitted the form on the registry a long time ago. Over 6 months, less than 1 year. I am the new owner of the Shelby Dakota #249. Not sure if you're backlogged that far our or you just didn't get my info.

It's been a couple of months and I wanted to let everyone know the Registry update is still progressing. I recently found some documentation that I had forgotten about. I'm in the process of adding 5 new unique parts listings. Besides that, a friend of the Shelby Registry donated complete build sheets for all of the vehicles. This is a lot of data to wade through but it will make the data I have almost 100% complete. Cheers.

Wow, that is a lot of information to get through! Is there a possibility of owners getting a copy of the build sheet once you're caught up?

www.wc-tm.com

It would be nice to have pics but I have enough problems getting people to include their VINs and full names. Cheers.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Thanks again for putting in all this work.
    It's much appreciated.

Quick update, I'm about to finish phase 4 of the Shelby Registry update. Look for those registration emails soon! Phase 5 is about to start which will completely update the registrations to the most current available. Cheers.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyRegistry View Post
    Quick update, I'm about to finish phase 4 of the Shelby Registry update. Look for those registration emails soon! Phase 5 is about to start which will completely update the registrations to the most current available. Cheers.
    Nice! I may jump on, I have a couple Shelby's

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I'm still trying to get Lancer #176 updated. Johnny Polybushings bought it from Ron West. I bought it from Johnny. The complete owner history of the car was included with documentation that came with it.

www.wc-tm.com