Thread: General Info Wanted

Mitsu booster

General Info Wanted

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and have a few questions for any experienced mopar enthusiasts. I have in my posession a base model 94 plymouth sundance with a 2.2l tbi. This car was purchased back in 08 for my first car and not to mention it is still running as my daily driver today. This car is very solid yet aside from a few problematic rust areas here and there. I have access to do body work at anytime and would like to commence on a perfomance build for this vehicle because I am attached to it.
    The engine is showing premature signs of head gasket failure and I have done I can up until this point to prolong the life of this little 2.2. I have great mechanical skills and could replace the head gasket but this dilemma has brought me question myself. Since I am attached to this car should I perhaps replace the head gasket or just do a turbo swap.
    Where I live I have access to a local junk yard that has hundreds of 80s-90s turbo/non turbo mopars laying around. It comes to my attention that there are many differences within these engines. Even differences between different years of turbo II gen motors. Since I am freinds with the salvage yard owner he told me I could pic up the engine, wiring harness, and ecu from any of the cars that I wanted for $175.
    Which brings me to my next question. Should I swap it? and if so Which year of turbo II engine should I go for? Which cars do these specific engines come from because they are so many to choose from in the yard?
    Thanks
    Patrick Holly

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: General Info Wanted

Welcome to the forum!

Hundreds of 80-90's mopars, where at!? *drool*

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Avery's Auto Salvage in Mishicot, WI. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go out there

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Well, to make it super easy, you need the 94 turbo wiring harness otherwise you'll have to add the extra wires the turbo car has. You'll need a 94 Turbo SBEC or other year, others can chime in on that. Apart from that, the turbo engine is a drop in, and even the fuel pump is the right one.

Your basically looking for any 88+ turbo engine, the 8 valve engines came in 3 flavours, 2.2 turbo II with the factory garrett turbo and IC, 2.5 turbo I which had a mitsu turbo and no IC and a 2.2 VNT turbo with factory IC. If your lucky, there might be some TIII's or Masi engines there which are 16 valve, if so, PM me, lol. YOU want the first 2 combo's and you can run them without an IC unless you really want to turn up the boost.

What trans? If its an auto, I would install the turbo unit.

A good site to read-

www.thedodgegarage.com
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site.

You could make a pretty penny on here selling parts if you really have a JY with that many cars near you.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Welcome to the site.

You could make a pretty penny on here selling parts if you really have a JY with that many cars near you.
    Totally agree.
    Welcome to the site!

turbo addict

i have a 91 wiring harness and computer if you want, i also have EVERYTHING to swap to a manual trans if you are interested too. You likely wont be since you have an amazing junk yard on hand but i thought id throw it out there! GOOD luck sir!

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you posted on what I come across. I guess it's just a matter of picking and choosing. I'm sure a majority of them have head gasket falilure but they don't seem to be to much of a hassle to rebuild cost wise. I will also talk to chuck and earl from avery's and tell him there are people that have interest in these cars since this could help him out and put more money in his pocket. I could post a few pics for eveyone of his inventory on my next visit. I'm sure there is a reason as to why he has all of these mopars when everything else is constantly crushed. as for anyone else reading this post please feel free to chime in.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

unfortunately I did not come across any 16 valve turbo motors. There is a healthy white daytona iroc running around town here though. lol

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Inventory photos would be great.
    Especially photos of cars with good interior parts, cars with decent body panels, trim and tail lights.
    Daytonas, Omnis, Shadows Sundances, Lancers, and LeBarons too.
    If you find anything with Shelby's name on it, we are kind of interested in those too.

Mitsu booster

This is a concept I came up with. It's basically the shelby 87 csx white/graphite/csblue pinstripe scheme on a 94 base model sundance w/ spoiler, turbo bulge hood, ground effects and of course lowered a bit. Yay or nay? posted the rendering up on imageshack. It's nothing special but you get the idea.
    http://imageshack.us/f/545/dodgeshelbycsx198951901.jpg/

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The white ones were the 88 CSX-Ts. Either way I've always liked them.