Thread: Got my Chrysler Motors DRB II scanner today!!

turbo addict

Got my Chrysler Motors DRB II scanner today!!

Got my Chrysler Motors DRB II scanner today!! (Bought it from Neil)
    Works on 1983 through 1993 cars and guessing trucks also.
    Hope it is intuitive on how to use it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scanner.JPG 
Views:	1311 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	42394  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict
    Sweet!!

boostaholic

Re: Got my Chrysler Motors DRB II scanner today!!

I have one too and acquired a poster that they included how to use it.
    Can't remember where I stashed it at the moment but I remember it being
    like 4' long, was thinking about making a few copies of it.
    Been a while since I've seen it.

turbo addict

That would be nice to have!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I acquired one recently too (came with CSX 371) but no instructions and I haven't played with it just yet. Crib notes would be nice tho

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I've been wanting one of those for a while...

turbo addict

looks just like an OTC 2000. wonder if the codes are the same too.

Garrett booster

The reason it looks like an OTC is because it was made by the same company that made the OTC scanner.

The functional flow charts were found in the diagnostic manuals. There was a different flow chart for each manual:

As for the DRB II. They have some neat functions. What many people don't realize is that Actron makes scanners that will work on the 89+ vehicles and is OBD II compliant. So I can view live data for both my 91 Daytona and any of my friends newer vehicles.

The "cool" features are only found on the DRB however, many features of which aren't documented well anywhere. This includes:

SRI Memory Check
    One thing that the SBEC can do is log how many miles the vehicle has. Many believed that only the BCM could do this. With the DRB not only can you view how many miles a vehicle has (great for broken odometers) but you can also change it.

BCM Tests
    This includes digital cluster tests, overhead console tests, traveller and evic tests, and you can even turn the dome light on and off from the DRB II.

Interrogator
    You can write custom values to the SBEC which can be stored in the volatile memory.

Airbag blow up test
    You can cycle the airbag to go off. Well, not really but you can read airbag computer codes. There was a code stored for my 90 Omni, of which never tripped the light. It was nice to know that when I deleted the code, it never surfaced again.

Faults since last erasure
    The computer will actually count and store how many times an engine code has been in memory based on number of ignition cycles. This is great for figuring out how new, or old, a computer code is.

My biggest disappointment of the DRB, however, is that it will not clear a code 12. This code will automatically clear for my Omni, but for some reason, never clears on its own in my Daytona. I kinda wanted to delete it with the DRB, however, that is not possible for some reason.

turbo addict

They are super simple to use Johnny. Once you use it ONCE you will kick yourself for not buying one sooner. I did. Once I plugged mine in and played with it I realized how many cars I had fixed by throwing parts at them could have been fixed in a half hour with the scanner.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    They are super simple to use Johnny. Once you use it ONCE you will kick yourself for not buying one sooner...
    Me too! I had an unlikely string of bad/wrong MAP sensors when I was bringing the GLHt back from the "dead", and, had I had the scanner, I would have saved myself a fair amount of $$ and a huge amount of time tracking it down! Not to mention the piss-poor attitude I had while trying to figure it out...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I had a bad IAT sensor kill a motor in my CSX. It was telling the motor it was super cold and made it run WAY rich. I changed all sorts of stuff. Finially got to thinking about the IAT and CTS and checked the resistance from know good sensors to the one in the car. Found the IAT to be way off. Probably spent a couple months tracking it down. If I would have had a scanner I could have just pulled up the IAT temp and would have instantly known that was the problem.

turbo addict

Johnny and Alan you will find that depending on whether you are running a logic module or SMEC/SBEC the display and functions will be slightly different. The newer the electonics, the more data you will get to look at and tests that you can perform. Very easy to negotiate your way around the tool without instructions.
    The one I bought came with Jeep and DSM adapters along with body cable interfaces. I have a whole suitcase full of adapters I have never used.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Using the body cable for the tcm, will this flash or re program the TCM, or do you also need the flash reprogram kit to go along with it?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I use an old OTC2000 and a Genisys with pathfinder cartridge in it but it would be nice to do some of the specific actuation tests you can do with the factory tool. Looks like a nice addition.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cowboystuff View Post
    Using the body cable for the tcm, will this flash or re program the TCM, or do you also need the flash reprogram kit to go along with it?
    Getting into the stuff that doesn't make sense. The basics are easy with no instructions, but some of the things mentioned here ?????
    I use it for a few tests like idle control and then mostly for real time viewing or video recording.
    I would love to diagnose my airbags and not have them go off.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-27-2015 at 12:40 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Mitsu booster

Did you ever figure out where that poster was, and make any copies?