Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ScAries dips into the 10's!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: ScAries dips into the 10's!

Nice! I go away for a while and another 10 sec 8v appears! Looks like your really starting to figure the Hook on that beast of yours!

Must have had Great Air to get that ET on that little MPH. Any clue what the density/alt was?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Nice! I go away for a while and another 10 sec 8v appears! Looks like your really starting to figure the Hook on that beast of yours!

Must have had Great Air to get that ET on that little MPH. Any clue what the density/alt was?
    I've been pretty consistent on getting a lot of ET without the MPH. Last year, this car went 11.01 @ 125 in reasonable air, this year tried some changes that didn't work and went 11.3's @ 120 in crappy air. Changed it all back and immediately went back to 11.0's and one 10.9 @ 124-125 in good air.

Air/weather helps the power the motor makes but doesn't change how well it hooks or how well the handsome devil behind the wheel drives it. :-)

Cool, although I always thought that really good air (below sea level) will net better ET on less mph?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

If "good air" means more HP, then for the same ET, "good air" could yield more MPH, but should also give better ET traction considered.

I think the ScAries is fairly light which helps a good ET on less mph.... HOWEVER the spray usually yields more mph for the same ET ... Hmmm... Pat, ever run it out on motor for a comparo?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Cool, although I always thought that really good air (below sea level) will net better ET on less mph?
    I was just messing with ya...thanks for the congrats. I"m still thrilled! For what it is, I can't ask for more out of that thing. My thinking on the air is that it nets more power, which if you can still hook it, brings better ET's and MPH. For whatever reason, me and this car have been a good match in the ET for a given MPH department. It doesn't trap too high but for a 5 speed car, it sure does ET!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    If "good air" means more HP, then for the same ET, "good air" could yield more MPH, but should also give better ET traction considered.

I think the ScAries is fairly light which helps a good ET on less mph.... HOWEVER the spray usually yields more mph for the same ET ... Hmmm... Pat, ever run it out on motor for a comparo?
    Yep, the car is definitely light. It's 2350 with me.

I have run it without spray, but never with any real boost thrown at it. I did make low boost (15-16 psi) run at SDAC with the crappy set up in it and went 12.20 @ 110. At Cecil when it dipped into the 10's, I made a shakedown run to make sure the trans was OK on my first pass, easy 1.8x launch, easy shifting, 20 psi and it went 12.1 or 12.2 @ 117. Using that as a base, it's not unreasonable to think it could trap 120 on boost, which should net me 11.4's or so with it. But, that's just speculation. Truthfully, the plan for the day was that if it made it into the 10's, I'd then go all out with no spray and see how deep into the 11's it would go. Unfortunately, there was a morning rain delay which held things up. My 10.96 was the last pass I could make.

It will be run next year on all boost.
    Last edited by Pat; 11-28-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Makes sense, what I'm prob missing here is that the Charger would prob go 10's on the 20psi street tune, now that it hooks up as hard as it does. I'm still thinking about the 133mph I needed to run 10's years ago. lol

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Makes sense, what I'm prob missing here is that the Charger would prob go 10's on the 20psi street tune, now that it hooks up as hard as it does. I'm still thinking about the 133mph I needed to run 10's years ago. lol
    I can't say how this would apply to your car never having driven it or seen a dyno plot, but I can run you through my line of thinking when building the Aries to try to get it to do what it does. My theory has always been for my cars is to build for the best area under the curve for the gearing and tire size you're running. On the Aries, it was always intended to be a dual purpose (drag and autox) for GRM. That in mind, and knowing that I really wanted it to run a 10.9x, I tried to figure out what the ideal combo would be that I could build super cheap. I wanted to configure something to give me a very responsive, broad powerband across a relatively low rpm range. I then tried to figure out what I needed to run MPH wise to get a 10.9. When I hit 10.9's in my 5 speed Shadow, it did it at 129 mph, but there was definitely a hint of lag on the shifts and the day it did it, it really didn't hook as well as the car was capable of. I had the Shadow run a few 11.0's in the 125-126 area, but again, with tiny hit of lag on the shifts. When planning the Aries, I was confident if I could get it to hook really hard, hit very hard on the shifts and trap 125, a 10.9 was doable with a 5 speed. To get the hook and wheel torque down quickly, a 3.85 gear was important. The 3.85 gear was also what I wanted to autox on. For slicks, a bit of math showed that with 24.5" slicks, I'd cross the line at 6350 or so. Knowing I've had great luck with the 24.5's, I was confident I'd get the hook I wanted with them with the weight target I had.

Based on that premise, everything in the motor build was targeted around a 3500-6400 powerband and making the car as light as possible, which all worked well on both sides of my goals. The light weight, the immediate low rpm power, the 3.85 gear and the slicks all seem to work on the hook despite having an autox suspension set up in it, it makes great wheel torque, hits hard on shifts and it squeaks just barely enough power to go 125 mph...and I mean barely.

In the end, it seemed to work out. It's a great autocrosser and it nipped the 10.9 I wanted. What's really surprised me is how consistent the thing is when everything is working. In 4 passes last time out, it ran a low of 10.96 and a high of 11.05.
    Last edited by Pat; 11-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I can't say how this would apply to your car never having driven it or seen a dyno plot, but I can run you through my line of thinking when building the Aries to try to get it to do what it does. My theory has always been for my cars is to build for the best area under the curve for the gearing and tire size you're running. On the Aries, it was always intended to be a dual purpose (drag and autox) for GRM. That in mind, and knowing that I really wanted it to run a 10.9x, I tried to figure out what the ideal combo would be that I could build super cheap. I wanted to configure something to give me a very responsive, broad powerband across a relatively low rpm range. I then tried to figure out what I needed to run MPH wise to get a 10.9. When I hit 10.9's in my 5 speed Shadow, it did it at 129 mph, but there was definitely a hint of lag on the shifts and the day it did it, it really didn't hook as well as the car was capable of. I had the Shadow run a few 11.0's in the 125-126 area, but again, with tiny hit of lag on the shifts. When planning the Aries, I was confident if I could get it to hook really hard, hit very hard on the shifts and trap 125, a 10.9 was doable with a 5 speed. To get the hook and wheel torque down quickly, a 3.85 gear was important. The 3.85 gear was also what I wanted to autox on. For slicks, a bit of math showed that with 24.5" slicks, I'd cross the line at 6350 or so. Knowing I've had great luck with the 24.5's, I was confident I'd get the hook I wanted with them with the weight target I had.

Based on that premise, everything in the motor build was targeted around a 3500-6400 powerband and making the car as light as possible, which all worked well on both sides of my goals. The light weight, the immediate low rpm power, the 3.85 gear and the slicks all seem to work on the hook despite having an autox suspension set up in it, it makes great wheel torque, hits hard on shifts and it squeaks just barely enough power to go 125 mph...and I mean barely.

In the end, it seemed to work out. It's a great autocrosser and it nipped the 10.9 I wanted. What's really surprised me is how consistent the thing is when everything is working. In 4 passes last time out, it ran a low of 10.96 and a high of 11.05.
    Great minds bro, what you just wrote pretty well sums up what we've been doing from the git go when it comes to power under and proper gearing. Stuck with the 3:85's and 24's till we were running out of gear through the traps and then went 26's Instead of hybrid for even better traction and gear change and it was the bomb! Add to that the F4 cam and the Charger can trap 150+ easy in 4th gear before anything else needs to be considered.

Something else, and don't sell yourself short on this; you obviously have a Great ability to really get a "feel" for the car and drive it how it Needs to be driven, making the small adjustments needed, rather then just trying to Hard drive the car to the good time. Good on you bro, and looking forward to seeing what you do with a real powerhouse under the hood again!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster

What rubber are you running? I see 24.5", just curious the width and compound. Its amazing that you can get a car that light to hook like it does. I think your left foot is precision tuned and mine was beat with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    What rubber are you running? I see 24.5", just curious the width and compound. Its amazing that you can get a car that light to hook like it does. I think your left foot is precision tuned and mine was beat with a hammer.
    24.5x8.5x15 M&H's that have a few years on them. I just keep them bagged year round and store them in the house in the winter to keep them out of the cold.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123