Thread: G-head VS Swirl head valve lengths and possible way to use Swirl in G head!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Talking G-head VS Swirl head valve lengths and possible way to use Swirl in G head!

Been thinking, bad idea I know but the Swirl valves are 114mm long, G head are 112mm long. My new G head doesn't have oversize valves like I thought and I have a really expensive set of oversize valves out of my Swirl head sooooooooo this got me thinking. I run PT lifters that are shimmed up with 3 shims due to the S2 cam being ground undersize so would this work if I run the Swirl valves and run 2 shims instead? I am worried about valve geometery but it should work!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: G-head VS Swirl head valve lengths and possible way to use Swirl in G head!

I would PM Steve Menegon... he could probably answer that question the best.... BadFastGTC
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

Have new oversize seats installed and when cutting the new seats, have the valve height set at the large end of the factory range. 1.960" to 2.006" is the range for the valve tip height to spring seat.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Been thinking, bad idea I know but the Swirl valves are 114mm long, G head are 112mm long. My new G head doesn't have oversize valves like I thought and I have a really expensive set of oversize valves out of my Swirl head sooooooooo this got me thinking. I run PT lifters that are shimmed up with 3 shims due to the S2 cam being ground undersize so would this work if I run the Swirl valves and run 2 shims instead? I am worried about valve geometery but it should work!

Ok, so the stock spring height is 1.700" and I know the keeper is moved up on the swirl so that will probably put me around your specs. Won't this soften the closed seat tension? I loved the way the new springs worked and don't want to change that!

Thanks guys, awesome advice as usual,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Would that be fixed with shimming the valve spring???
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Would that be fixed with shimming the valve spring???

Thats what I was going to do, but it looks like Steve's advice is not too. I will await his reply.

Lightbulb Re: G-head VS Swirl head valve lengths and possible way to use Swirl in G head!

The longer valve is a natural compliment to the reduced base circle of the reground cam, and the resulting spring height increase will allow a better selection of higher rate springs to be used. You can always shim up for a shorter height.

Thank you guys, the head is being done as we speak,