Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should TU reproduce 005 and 006 style MP head gaskets?

Should TU reproduce 005 and 006 style MP head gaskets?

Mopar no longer makes or has an MP 005 or 006 head gaskets. These were a nice cheaper alternative to Cometic and less failures than Felpro. TU said with a commitment of 500, this could happen. SO can we get a concensus? He said that 2 hgs to a member basically which is relatively nothing as i myself own 4 TMs and most people own at least 2.

turbo addict

Re: Should TU reproduce 005 and 006 style MP head gaskets?

I'll buy 5 of the 006's

Im gonna say id take at least 2- 005s as thats what i needed most recently.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Price is the deciding factor, they were pretty cheap when available, so if pricing is in the same range, it seems like a no brainer. I'm going to want a few (3-5).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I'd be in for at least 5 of the 005's
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Ditto. At OEM-ish price I'd be in for 5, just to have them. I only have 1 backup right now.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

why not reproduce the better gasket ?

- fel pro print-a-seal was way way better than any mopar gasket when I could still get em

hell mine even held for a year (6-8 months) without torqueing to yield the bolts (forgot)
    and that old log motor was run very hard every day at 12#'s

only reason to pull the head was the spun (again) rod bearings

- and , the fel pro print-a-seals don't rot like the mopar (dog poo) ones do

back when I could get the print-a-seal gaskets they were all I'd use - always thought the mopar ones were junk

imagine my surprise 4 years ago when I got on line and found all youse guys love the mopar gaskets

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The latest and greatest chrysler head gaskets before they stopped making them was a print-o-seal type gasket.

I'll do 7 since that's how many cars I have.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I dont care if they make more or not. Pat ran 11s on a new-style Felpro gasket without realizing it, if i remember correctly. Good enough.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I could use 2 005s and 2 006s.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Price is the deciding factor, they were pretty cheap when available, so if pricing is in the same range, it seems like a no brainer. I'm going to want a few (3-5).

Mike
    Regarding price, keep in mind that Chrysler made thousands of the 005, 006, 007, 008, etc. head gaskets for the 2.2 and 2.5 applications. They probably purchased millions of other gaskets from the same supplier for both new and older engine platforms. Chrysler's discount level is going to be considerably better then our request for 500-1000 Head Gaskets to be made. The 006 went for about $32. each when last offered from Mopar Performance. If all goes well we hope to be in the low $40. range, but, that could change.

There are many hurdles in bringing any new product to fruition. Locating a quality vendor who is actually willing to manufacture a one time short run of anything is our biggest challenge. In most cases we are just happy when they accept our order. Getting them to manufacture that item at a competitive price is our second challenge and making sure they adhere to ALL of our specs is the third. In the past we have invested a considerable amount of our money with vendors to produce products which never even made it to production. Whether the samples didn't meet our standards, the final price was too high or there was a lack of demand.... ie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I dont care if they make more or not. Pat ran 11s on a new-style Felpro gasket without realizing it, if i remember correctly. Good enough.
    Ultimately it has to work for everyone otherwise we pull the plug on it and take the R & D loss. Custom parts also require lengthy production times as most of the companies are squeezing our order in between the big runs. It's not always the case but just wanted to bring that up as it often can be if the timing of our order is off.

We spoke with a company at SEMA last year that seemed agreeable to a run of 500-1000 head gaskets. The price point was also competitive and the quality of their products were impressive. If we see enough interest generated in this thread we would consider re-approaching the manufacturer to coordinate a run of the 006s. We chose this gasket because the 005-008 and the 16-valve gaskets can also be made from the 006 with slight modifications. We are contemplating having them manufactured with an inverted ring so they could be used in O-Ringed block applications. This would eliminate the necessity to use copper head gaskets which have been known to leak.

Big thanks to the OP for starting this thread. We were just speaking with Lotashelbys yesterday regarding reproducing these. If we can find ways of making these head gaskets better while also maintaining the price point we are all for it. It would be great to see constructive feedback from members regarding everything including design variations.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Im going to post this on TD also so members not on TM can have a voice.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

pending an approximate idea of the selling price I would take 3-4. Thanks

I hope this doesnt just die out. Where are all the other members on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    I hope this doesnt just die out. Where are all the other members on here?
    Unfortunately that is what occurred with the TIII oversize valves Group Buy we tried to organize a few years ago.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

I would buy 2. Going to be hard to get a good estimate on interest for 500+ but more power to you guys.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Mitsu booster

I would buy 2 or 3 myself.

Understandable Chris, but TIIIs alone are a smaller group than all 2.2/ 2.5 guys that could run these gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Understandable Chris, but TIIIs alone are a smaller group than all 2.2/ 2.5 guys that could run these gaskets
    Maybe so, but, since each set is purchased containing 16 valves it will add up to 500-1000 pieces alot quicker then gaskets.

Chris-TU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast