Thread: 2003 neon 4 speed to 3 speed

2003 neon 4 speed to 3 speed

I will more than likely be on transmission #3 for my 2003 neon. I don't race the car and I'm tired of the POS transmission. Can any of you please shed some light at the how feasible it would be to drop in the 1st gen 3 speed auto or 2000-2001 into a 2003 neon? What type of electrical work will have to be done to the ECU since the 3 speed in not electronically controlled(can it be run with the auto wiring unplugged)?

Yes I am aware of the gearing differences and I am after a trans that I will have less problems with.

thanks for anyone who post.

turbo addict

Re: 2003 neon 4 speed to 3 speed

00-02 throttle body, transmission, cables, and possibly shifter. Then use an 03 5 speed computer.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Have you considered selling your Neon and buying one with a 3 speed?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Thanks for the info. I wish I could but no way the wife will let it happen since the car is in great shape except for the trans issues. She has already let me run amok with a 79 cressida/2jz project. I honestly can't wait until our neon gets higher milage so I can start messing with it.

FYI, if anyone is looking for perfect interior parts for a Dodge Omni... the pick n pull in Columbus, Ohio has one and the interior is a A+. It's almost like it just came from the factory. The picknpull said they didn't have the title, so they can't sell the whole car.

turbo addict

Why not do a 5 speed swap? Better MPG, more fun to drive and no more auto issues.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Not to be 'that person' saying it but there is something going very wrong if you keep burning up transmissions in a relatively light and low powered car. Changing out parts without figuring out why they are repeatedly going bad is only going to continue the cycle of failure IMO. Wrong fluid, leaking oil cooler allowing engine coolant to get into the transmission and/or a clogged or damaged cooler not keeping fluid at the optimal temperature are the biggest things that kill the ultradrive transmission. As horrible a reputation that transmission has its really not that bad and by 2003 most of the bugs were worked out.

just my perspective on things.

turbo addict

Yeah the 4 speed was pretty decent in the cars during the later years. Minivans were the ones tearing them up.

boostaholic

Even then, Chrysler did well with the 4 speed in later years. We service a fleet of 4th gen Caravans and we don't see too many with transmission issues.

Do they emissions test in your area? If you put a 3 speed in there, you'll probably have a check engine light. In RI that's an automatic fail for inspection and there's no way around it.
    If you put in an 03 Neon 5 speed computer, the VIN from the computer will not match the car and you'll still fail inspection.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

thanks for the info everyone. I dodged a major bullet. Luckily I caught things before it got ugly. Apparently when the transmission computer sees that when the mph doesn't match what gear you are in, it will automatically go in limp mode.... meaning it won't go past 2nd gear. Yes it's pretty straight forward to change the output sensor, but I figured I may as well take it to the trans shop that replaced the trans previously. We drove around and the mechanic had a snap on code reader that could read all the various sensor in real time while driving. At the end of the day it was only the output sensor, they drove the car around enough so it could relearn itself, and I didn't burn out any clutches by driving it in limp mode for a few miles.

Big_P, what if you have a different engine than what came in the car? How does RI stand on aftermarket ecus? Luckily in Ohio I don't have safety inspections, just yearly registration, and no emission test. After living in a state that any modifications required a reconstruction permit, I was shocked when I found out.

boostaholic

Aftermarket ECU's are okay as far as I know, as long as the VIN is in it and the Monitors get ready.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I haven't heard of an aftermarket ECU that's OBD II compliant. If there is one or a way to make it so I'd like to hear it.

A.J.

boostaholic

By aftermarket I thought he meant a NAPA reman.... unless I am mistaken and he meant otherwise.

Garrett booster

In the NGC neons after you swap a computer you can get it towed to the dealer and have them use the DRB3 tool to flash your VIN into the ecu so it will match, and not piss of the SKIM module so it will start.