Thread: Piece of the CHRA's edge has fallen apart!!! please QUICKLY

Mitsu booster

Piece of the CHRA's edge has fallen apart!!! please QUICKLY

hi guys

so I finally got time to look into my T25G garrett turbo... I created special pliers so I managed to get even the stuck snap ring out...

but...

this is the result of disasembling of my turbine housng...

but - I DIDNT hit the housing too much or anythin.. I was just tappin with the mallet on each side until the CHRA came loose... Is there a chance of that thing being like that before I took it apart?? (btw - the piece is from the top side of the CHRA

btw the look at the housing itself - you can see the cooked up oil on the bottom side due to the leakage in the bottom section (I asked it befor ...)

my wustioon is: that CHRA - is it useless now?? will it loose oil through it or as long as the seals are ok it wont...? (but could imagine when it hapens it will be fast...?!

btw - are there any CHRA center section to buy??

thank you in advance

Peter

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Piece of the CHRA's edge has fallen apart!!! please QUICKLY

I'd say its junk.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

you mean I cant reuse that?? I know its crap... though - the turbine and compresor wheel are absolutely not touched...

turbo addict

I wouldnt trust to run it. If a piece like that fell off whats to say under more heat the rest wouldnt fall off. I would take what usable parts you can salvage and get a new turbo and hang onto the parts that you slavage off of this one as spares. My 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitsu booster

OK I understand... I have 360° bearing kit - wanted to use this turbo "PROPERLY" after my rebuilt ... with this CHRA - somethin else could probably fall apart...

what you think about this? http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/?p=product&key=1107064748 - would it be worth a try??

good thing I can see would be a larger oil drain = less restriction = less chance of oil coming through a turbo housing etc...
    less good thing - only OIL COOLED? the original T25G is water cooled - would it be cooled enough by oil only or its always better to have water there??

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I've run turbos without water cooling for years with no trouble. I did run synthetic oil and make sure to not shut the car down immediately after a long run in boost though. I'm with the others saying that they wouldn't run that center housing again. I would buy a new housing like what you're looking at and install the stuff into it. Make sure the bearing journals are the same size first though.

turbo addict

Arent these t25 vnt's? If so I wouldnt run those without water cooling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitsu booster

you mean Variable Nozzle Timing - they are not

turbo addict

ok. i would say go for it then
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by this.one View Post
    you mean I cant reuse that?? I know its crap... though - the turbine and compresor wheel are absolutely not touched...
    Yep, just find a new CHRA or find one that's already done.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

HI
    I was just wondering, what about welding that fallen piece back to the body of that housing?? - would the weld withstand the temps on the turbo or not?? I would weld it back, than shape it back with an angle grinder ...

on the top of it here where u see that line:

do you think it could work? or better to get another CHRA... ( I just dont have that much time ...

turbo addict
    I would run it, just shove the chunk back in before you put the snap ring in.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

You can't weld that, the metal looks very porous, it will be full of oil. The housing you listed is not a bad price, and if you could weld that up, it would cost more than the housing.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Any chance it was Chinese?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Any chance it was Chinese?
    nope, its genuine GARRETT

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

There's counterfeiting; maybe ask Garrett to replace it. That shouldn't happen, ever. Might come under the 100K mile smog warranty.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia