Thread: catchcan with or w/o breather?

Hybrid booster

catchcan with or w/o breather?

i see all you guys have catch cans without breathers. does it make a difference to get one with a breather? like the one that jegs sells? does it defeat the purpose? thanks

travis

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: catchcan with or w/o breather?

It will suck vacuum so personally, a breather is a must. If you don't, then why are you running an air filter,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

maybe its different because its a 16v, but mark's rt T's off at the pcv valve into a small bottle as an oil catchcan...

bad that he doesnt have a breather?

You need to remember how it works, when you have a PCV valve there, at idle, and cruise, its sucking in air, even if its hooked to a catch can. THe catch can has to breath or you'll create a vacuum so you need an outside source. If you leave it open, then your sucking in dirty air unless its teed into the air filter ducting AFTER the air filter.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: catchcan with or w/o breather?

On my Rampage i am not running a breather on the catch can. I have a SARD CC that has 2 5/8" nipples on it. I have one line running from the CC directly to the valve cover nipple, and the other like goes from the CC to the intake (just after my cone filter) and this line has the PCV valve T'd into it. I am not sure if i need a breather on the VC? I know the CC is working awesome, because when i remove the oil cap and put my hand over the opening i can feel it pulling a good vacuum!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage
    On my Rampage i am not running a breather on the catch can. I have a SARD CC that has 2 5/8" nipples on it. I have one line running from the CC directly to the valve cover nipple, and the other like goes from the CC to the intake (just after my cone filter) and this line has the PCV valve T'd into it. I am not sure if i need a breather on the VC? I know the CC is working awesome, because when i remove the oil cap and put my hand over the opening i can feel it pulling a good vacuum!
    You have it going to the ducting after the air filter so your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    You have it going to the ducting after the air filter so your good to go.
    Awesome, Thanks for info!

turbo addict

If you run with one in place of the oil fill cap, your good too. I honestly think that the oil returns better from the turbo when the crankcase is at atmosphere.
    Let's face it ... the PCV valve works when the turbo engine least needs it. There isn't that much blow-by at idle.

I say ditch that puppy. Put a breather in place of the oil cap and route the VC hose to your catch can/separator and then to the airbox/turbo inlet. In boost, the turbo will draw on the engine. The breather will allow it to draw more and provide post boost evacuation. I suppose a guy could "T" in a small vent in the can just for safety. Never personally seen a catch can blow out though. Being vented on two sides, a blow out would be pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet
    If you run with one in place of the oil fill cap, your good too. I honestly think that the oil returns better from the turbo when the crankcase is at atmosphere.
    Let's face it ... the PCV valve works when the turbo engine least needs it. There isn't that much blow-by at idle.

I say ditch that puppy. Put a breather in place of the oil cap and route the VC hose to your catch can/separator and then to the airbox/turbo inlet. In boost, the turbo will draw on the engine. The breather will allow it to draw more and provide post boost evacuation. I suppose a guy could "T" in a small vent in the can just for safety. Never personally seen a catch can blow out though. Being vented on two sides, a blow out would be pretty tough.
    I haven't seen how mine works in boost yet, because of a clutch issue.. but i think it will work perfect without a breather on the VC. (Dave on this forum is running his CC the same way without any issues) I dont want to run a breather where my oil cap is because i have that nice CS logo oil cap, If i do end up putting a breather on the motor i will probebly make something up to run the breather on the fuel pump block off plate if thats possible?

turbo addict

I know .. I told Bryan (Dave) how to plumb it in. It'll work, just that I feel a closed evac system on a turbo engine isn't optimal. Not to mention that the PCV is a just a route for unfiltered oil mist and contaminants directly to the intake.

No thanks.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    You need to remember how it works, when you have a PCV valve there, at idle, and cruise, its sucking in air, even if its hooked to a catch can. THe catch can has to breath or you'll create a vacuum so you need an outside source. If you leave it open, then your sucking in dirty air unless its teed into the air filter ducting AFTER the air filter.
    along with a breather in place of the oil cap and a pcv, i plan on running a hose to the air filter for extra vacuum. i just wanted to see if running a breather on the catchcan would loose all my vacuum. dont you need vacuum in the crankcase to help seal the rings? but also i dont want to compromise turbo oil return to the oil pan.

travis

Quote Originally Posted by cs daytona
    along with a breather in place of the oil cap and a pcv, i plan on running a hose to the air filter for extra vacuum. i just wanted to see if running a breather on the catchcan would loose all my vacuum. dont you need vacuum in the crankcase to help seal the rings? but also i dont want to compromise turbo oil return to the oil pan.

travis
    Having the it the way I said and no filter or open port on the CC will give you a different type of vacuum,

Yes, vacuum is proven to help seal rings, hence alot of high end racers run vacuum pumps to create a vacuum.

I too did the oil cap and breather trick, it works nicely and I might even use it again with my new regular rings.

turbo addict

Don't forget that the pro's are running dry sump systems. Bottom end vacuum is not an issue with them.

Hybrid booster

so which is it? with a breather or without (on the catchcan)? i bought a breather oil fill cap today. now next is to choose my catchcan. i'm sure the $10 one from ebay would be good (that has no breather).

its between the ebay CC or the jegs CC (with a breather).

travis

Quote Originally Posted by cs daytona
    so which is it? with a breather or without (on the catchcan)? i bought a breather oil fill cap today. now next is to choose my catchcan. i'm sure the $10 one from ebay would be good (that has no breather).

its between the ebay CC or the jegs CC (with a breather).

travis

OYE, read my first post.

Hybrid booster

This PCV thing still gets me. Its the one thing about my engine I am STILL stuck on. Its always the simple things that cought me up in school, I guess that continues, huh?

My setup... The car is not on the road yet, waiting on TU for a turbo.

I have the stock turbo valve cover and oil cap. The v/c has a lead coming off or it (TBI elbow) that comes down to a Perrin 2 prong (no breather) catch can. From this point the other nipple on the catch can has a lead that goes over to the intake (cone filter). There is a PCV valve in the line between the intake and the can with the valve cover side of the valve toward the can.

Will this setup do what it needs to do and prevent harm to my engine? Engine is a 2.5L TII, +.020, S60 turbo, FWD ECU for 18PSI.