Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light truck tires on mini

turbo addict

Light truck tires on mini

Looking for tires for the mini and in 205/70-15 I see some Yoko geolanders which are light truck tires. Has anyone run LT tires on their mini? I was thinking since I don't haul people, I'm installing a hitch, and I live on a gravel road these might be a good idea. Any thoughts? If I go with a "P" tire I want to move to 215/65-15. Another question is, will all these fit if I go with car struts later on?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Re: Light truck tires on mini

ive been kicking around the idea of lifting my daytona and running bfg allterrains in a 215/75r15, or general at2's in a 205/75r15 or the same 215/75r15.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I believe some vans came with 207/70's so you should be just fine. Use the Miata tire calculator and compare to the sizing of 185/75R14's. Nothing wrong with LT's, it will corner a bit nicer and ride a bit rougher.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

A.J. had or has them on his white mini. I don't remember what size, but I know 205/70/15's will fit no problem. Agreed it will ride rougher(better in my opinion) and handle better with the stiffer sidewall.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Thanks for the replies. Now to see what I can get in at work in LT that size.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'm running 215/75R15's on mine. They just BARELY clear the lower spring perch on the strut. Any bigger than that you're going to have clearance problems with the strut. My speedo at 65 is off about 5 mph and I'm actually doing around 70.

A.J.

turbo addict
    I'm wondering if the 70's will fit with car struts that I plan to fit for lowering.

A 205/65R15 will yield a 25.5" tall tire. A 195/70R14 (stock spirit tire size) will yield a 24.75" tall tire. A 205/70R15 will yield a 26.30" tall tire. A 215/65R15 will yield a 26" tall tire. I personally don't think the 205/70 will clear the car strut without spacing the rim out from the hub. The 215/65 will be close.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I'm wondering if the 70's will fit with car struts that I plan to fit for lowering.
    The spring perch is in EXACTLY the same spot as van struts.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The spring perch is in EXACTLY the same spot as van struts.
    Thank you that's what I wanted to know. Didn't know if the perch was different or if the spring/shaft was different.

Thank you that's what I wanted to know. Didn't know if the perch was different or if the spring/shaft was different.
    NP, the difference is past the perch, vans have a longer body and hence longer rod.

Good news!! Now put them tires on there.
    Bryan

turbo addict
    I will as soon as I get a windsheild and some other stuff. 175 bucks for a windshield, damn.

Cars, a big hole in the asphalt you throw money in.
    Bryan

turbo addict
    Yep, at least I only have about 1300 in the van after rebuilding the engine.

Yep, at least I only have about 1300 in the van after rebuilding the engine.
    I wish I only had that in mine, lol,

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Agreed it will ride rougher(better in my opinion) and handle better with the stiffer sidewall.
    This isn't the case. With an LT tire you are generally increasing the UTQG rating. The higher the rating, the harder and less sticky the rubber. I have always ran Nitto tires but they don't make anything for these cars. I LOVE the Invo on performance street cars. I had some NT555RIIs on a weekend car, that are one of the best non-race tires I've used in terms of handling. Had both the NT555R and NT05R on a RWD straight line car. The 555Rs = junk, the NT05Rs = EXTREME straight line traction but complete crap around corners.

LT tires are usually 500+ on the UTQG which means long lasting and heavy loads, but a lousy grip. NT05Rs have a 00 UTQG which last about 2k miles but unsurpassable grip for a DOT legal tire. Khumo make a couple nice tires in these sizes. Pirelli do some as well. I hate all Continentals. If you are going to be using it with much of a load, go for performance SUV tires. If you want the longest life and don't care about ride or traction or handling, LTs are the way to go.

Just remember:
    Low UTQG = Nice ride, good grip, cheaper(generally).
    High UTQG = Long life, higher load capability, less likely to be damaged(puctures, nails, curbs, etc).

Breakdown of a 205/70-15:
    205mm *section* width.
    70% of 205mm sidewall height. 143.5mm

26" tall, 8" section width, 5.6" sidewall from wheel lip to tire tread. If my math is right.

Keep in mind that section width is not tread width. I get complaints almost every week from people saying that the tire isn't as wide as advertised. Tread width is typically at least and inch more narrow than section width. The worst I've seen are Nexen(2" or more narrow on tires above 255mm) and the best are usually Toyo(most of the time the tread width is very close to the advertised section width, especially the Proxes4 tires).

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Looking for tires for the mini and in 205/70-15 I see some Yoko geolanders which are light truck tires. Has anyone run LT tires on their mini? I was thinking since I don't haul people, I'm installing a hitch, and I live on a gravel road these might be a good idea. Any thoughts? If I go with a "P" tire I want to move to 215/65-15. Another question is, will all these fit if I go with car struts later on?
    It's not an LT tire (load rating), but it will have a more aggressive tread than your standard all season. Probably will a bit noisier on the highway than most, but traction on unpaved roads will be improved.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    This isn't the case. With an LT tire you are generally increasing the UTQG rating. The higher the rating, the harder and less sticky the rubber. I have always ran Nitto tires but they don't make anything for these cars. I LOVE the Invo on performance street cars. I had some NT555RIIs on a weekend car, that are one of the best non-race tires I've used in terms of handling. Had both the NT555R and NT05R on a RWD straight line car. The 555Rs = junk, the NT05Rs = EXTREME straight line traction but complete crap around corners.

LT tires are usually 500+ on the UTQG which means long lasting and heavy loads, but a lousy grip. NT05Rs have a 00 UTQG which last about 2k miles but unsurpassable grip for a DOT legal tire. Khumo make a couple nice tires in these sizes. Pirelli do some as well. I hate all Continentals. If you are going to be using it with much of a load, go for performance SUV tires. If you want the longest life and don't care about ride or traction or handling, LTs are the way to go.

Just remember:
    Low UTQG = Nice ride, good grip, cheaper(generally).
    High UTQG = Long life, higher load capability, less likely to be damaged(puctures, nails, curbs, etc).

Breakdown of a 205/70-15:
    205mm *section* width.
    70% of 205mm sidewall height. 143.5mm

26" tall, 8" section width, 5.6" sidewall from wheel lip to tire tread. If my math is right.

Keep in mind that section width is not tread width. I get complaints almost every week from people saying that the tire isn't as wide as advertised. Tread width is typically at least and inch more narrow than section width. The worst I've seen are Nexen(2" or more narrow on tires above 255mm) and the best are usually Toyo(most of the time the tread width is very close to the advertised section width, especially the Proxes4 tires).
    Compared to a standard tire that would be on a mini, yes the LT tire will handle better. Comparing summer sticky tires to LT tires is not what he was asking. Trust me, I know about tire widths and traction, etc. I had P235/70R15s on my S-10. I put LT235/75R15 Bfgoodrich all terrain tires on it and believe me it handled a hell of a lot better than the P235 tires. That is the comparison he was asking about.
    Bryan

Hybrid booster

Harder tire = less grip.
    Deeper tread depth = less grip.

Where you can gain a little handling is going with a shorter, softer LT tire but it still won't compare to a passenger car tire of the same caliper in terms of grip or ride quality.

BFG A/Ts do okay on the road(except in rain) because it has a very tight tread pattern which gives it more area to make contact on the road. But if you went to a 235-75-15 in a softer tire you would have gotten more grip. I like A/Ts. Up until a couple years ago I put them on all my trucks. Once the Nitto Dune Grappler hit the floor, I've run them ever since.

Truck I had when I worked for Cindy. 35" BFG A/Ts

A truck I used to tow with. 10 ply 31x10.50 Dune Grapplers.

Mud truck. 38" Thornbirds.

I'm pretty familiar with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast