Thread: 1990 Dodge Omni Coolant Leak

Mitsu booster

1990 Dodge Omni Coolant Leak

My first time working on cars, my 1990 Dodge Omni was squealing something fierce. Seen it blow out white smoke and I installed a new water pump. Everything was running great and sounding great, until I took it out on the road, seen white smoke again and headed home. The temp was rising quickly and the car was dumping all of its antifreeze out of the back of the engine. Now I am just stumped, not sure what to do next.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 1990 Dodge Omni Coolant Leak

I replied in your other thread as well, but I had another thought, if you didn't get the right water pump, and they look almost identical externally, it could be trying to pump water backwards. Most 89 and newer engines are "common block" engines, which run their water pump "backwards" from the older "standard" units.

That won't affect the leak you have, and being a 90, it wouldn't be turbo'd from the factory, so the coolant line I mentioned in the other thread won't apply, but it could be a core plug, especially if it is a heavy stream. A cracked block or blown HG normally don't leak that fast.

On the upside, that might be an easier fix than any of the other stuff, as they sell "expandable" replacement core plugs. just remove the the old, "hammer in place", plug with some pliers and install the expandable unit and "tighten" it up/expand the rubber to seal the hole, and you're back in business!

Hope this helps!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Re: 1990 Dodge Omni Coolant Leak

Thanks for the response, never thought about a backward pump, but I had thought a plug might have been the issue, but as I said this is my first time working on a car and just need a little reassurance that my ideas are up to par! Unfortunately I don't have a day off till Saturday to double check my findings. I will let you know what I find.