Thread: Complete, Momentary Loss of Power

Hybrid booster

Complete, Momentary Loss of Power

On my way to Atlanta the other day, the van ran great...except for one small problem.

I completely lost all power for a split second three times while driving down the interstate. I lost lights, radio, and spark. It came back so fast that I didn't believe it at first, but then did it again. I hasn't done it since.

What would cause this? The only thing I can think of is the negative terminal coming loose, but I checked it and It's tight. Anything else that could cause it other than a loose battery terminal?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Complete, Momentary Loss of Power

Check the positive side, you could be loosing that. Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Because they seem tight does not mean you have a good connection.. Loosen them... rotate the clamps on the terminals back and forth to "clear" up corrosion (there have been times I couldn't see any) and re-tighten.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Check the positive side, you could be loosing that. Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.
    +1. I actually had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but it was the negative terminal.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.
    I'm sure Simon meant this as well, but let me reiterate that this goes for the negative cable as well. Especially check it's connection to the side of head.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dietro
    I'm sure Simon meant this as well, but let me reiterate that this goes for the negative cable as well. Especially check it's connection to the side of head.

Yep, I did,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    Because they seem tight does not mean you have a good connection.. Loosen them... rotate the clamps on the terminals back and forth to "clear" up corrosion (there have been times I couldn't see any) and re-tighten.
    I never thought of this. I'll do this before I head back to Clemson from ATL, and hopefully not have the problem anymore. If I still have the problem, I'll go through the harness and find the loose connection (I'm absolutely dreading that).

Thanks guys.

Garrett booster

next time it happens, see if your voltage gauge drops rapidly? I have this happen at night with my hi-beams on, and ONLY with them on and everything dies for a split second... radio, engine, etc then comes back.

I think I have a short that is drawing a lot off the batt when it happens, but not sure yet, gonna swap a smec setup into the charger anyway so I'm not that concerned yet

Had this happen recently in the Crown Vic except it was just the headlights and they didn't come back on! This happened going about 60 on a particularly curvy stretch of 2 lane late at night.
    I agree with checking and cleaning the connections on both ends of both battery cables. Also check all your other underhood grounds and make sure the connections are tight and clean.