Thread: Heater core?

turbo addict

Heater core?

How hard is it to put a heater core in a 89 shadow? My buddies shadow needs it done, Ive offered to help but not sure what Ive got myself into. Does the whole dash have to come out, or is there a trick to it? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Heater core?

It doesn't have to come out, but you may as well take it out for more room to work. I did one in my shadow and it was a doozy the first time. Now I can have the dash in and out in no time at all.

turbo addict

Is it easier to pull the column or do you just drop it out of the way? Is there any electronics that need pulled before I start pulling the dash, like the gauge cluster or radio?

In a shadow I did the following with great success.

1. Pull dash bezel, radio, HVAC controls, and gauges (if present)

2. Pull column out. It's easy and takes only a couple of connectors to remove from the vehicle rather than being in the way.

3. Pull center console out.

4. Pull dash by pulling glove box, popping off the hockey sticks, panel on dash, removing screws above dash, and two bolts at the sides. There is also a bracket under the center console.

5. Remove electrical connectors from dash. I get some before dash is free by rocking it forward on the two side bolts.

6. Pull HVAC box and replace core.

It's a lot of work, but after doing it a few times I've got it down. You can keep the column and dash in the car, but IMO it just tears stuff up when you do it that way.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    In a shadow I did the following with great success.

1. Pull dash bezel, radio, HVAC controls, and gauges (if present)

2. Pull column out. It's easy and takes only a couple of connectors to remove from the vehicle rather than being in the way.

3. Pull center console out.

4. Pull dash by pulling glove box, popping off the hockey sticks, panel on dash, removing screws above dash, and two bolts at the sides. There is also a bracket under the center console.

5. Remove electrical connectors from dash. I get some before dash is free by rocking it forward on the two side bolts.

6. Pull HVAC box and replace core.

It's a lot of work, but after doing it a few times I've got it down. You can keep the column and dash in the car, but IMO it just tears stuff up when you do it that way.

+1 all the above.

Something to keep in mind also IF you have a/c (and want to keep it) is that the system has to be discharged.

Hybrid booster

dont forget, there are shitty 11mm tin nuts that hold the hvac box to the firewall behind the engine. There are a good amount of them so dont start yanking on the box til you got them all. Also you have to undo the "H" block for the AC on the passenger side, also be carefull of this because if you yank to hard on the lines you could hurt something or screw up the Evap core, also the bolts in the H block can become pretty shitty so P-B blaster is your friend.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

And you dont NEED to pull the column, just drop it to the floor and mind the brake switch, you only really have to pull the passenger side of the dash out towards the passenger seat to sneak the HVAC box out. This part is alot easier with a friend that way you can make sure nothing gets broken or wires get pulled. There is always a damn wire to unhook when you got the thing in your lap and cant get to it without risking damage to something else - murphy's law doin' its thing. hahah

turbo addict

Another thing I just remembered, this is a factory non-AC car. Does that make it any easier? I would think it would have a smaller box, but dont know for sure. We are going to try the CLR trick first, but want to be prepared to pull the dash if the core starts leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Another thing I just remembered, this is a factory non-AC car. Does that make it any easier? I would think it would have a smaller box, but dont know for sure. We are going to try the CLR trick first, but want to be prepared to pull the dash if the core starts leaking.
    You won't have to disconnect any lines. I've never actually pulled the dash in a non-AC car, but the evap core isn't that big in the AC ones.

Gee Cordes .......................you make it sound so .............simple when you write it that way.
    No mention of the pratfalls and such.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Gee Cordes .......................you make it sound so .............simple when you write it that way.
    No mention of the pratfalls and such.
    Like I said, I've done it a bunch of times now. I think if I would have just resolved myself to take out the whole dash the first time I would have had a much easier time with it. It was horrible for me when I first got done because I had an intermittent fault in my ign switch occur at the same time. It took me forever to track that one down.

turbo addict

I've done it twice in a daytona and new yorker. Dash has to come out IMO. why fight with it. I pull both front seats as well. Takes me 8-10 hours of work.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I've done it twice in a daytona and new yorker. Dash has to come out IMO. why fight with it. I pull both front seats as well. Takes me 8-10 hours of work.
    That's a pretty realistic estimate to do one. IIRC it took me 11 hours the first time which included much extra time fighting the fact that the steering column and dash were still in the car the whole time.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

And when its all out you can take the air ducts apart (couple screws holding everything together) and wipe everything out with some clorox spray and vaccum out the back of the dash board/fire wall area. Guaranteed the interior will smell better after all said and done.

That's a great idea. I would add that you need to make sure that the flexible lines which go to the window defrosters for the mirrors will want to give you trouble while going back in. Make sure you've got those installed or the windows will fog like crazy and you won't be able to see out the side views. Be sure the big square duct meets up with the HVAC box properly too. I've always had to fight the alignment on those.

So How do you deal with the "black goo"?