Thread: 2.2 non-common block Rod Bearings‏

2.2 non-common block Rod Bearings‏

Hey everybody,

Lately the engine in the wagon (I believe it's from an 87 CSX) has developed an ever so slight knock. So slight that I think most people wouldn't notice it...it doesn't seem to be a wrist pin noise, because this engine already has that, and that goes away once it's warmed up.

This noise doesn't go away when warm. I was thinking that it was a rod bearing on the verge of becoming a problem, so I pulled the pan. #1 rod bearing looks very good (to me). I figured no matter what, I'd change these regardless of how they looked. The problem I'm having is that I thought the bearing would be stamped with it's size (10 under, 20 under, 30 under, etc). But it is only stamped with a date "4-98" and above that it has the numbers "85".

Of course, I have 3 sets of "STD" bearings, and this one is obviously a smaller size. Anyone know what "85" stand for? I can't find a listing for an .85 bearing, and there aren't any other markings, so I'm not even sure which manufacturer this is.

Thanks in advance!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 2.2 non-common block Rod Bearings‏

How do you know its smaller? They will be stamped with the undersize number, if not, its a STD bearing, which sometimes they also stamp on. Check the mains too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Alot of the time the factory bearing it will have the year stamped into it, maybe the engine was built in 85. Can you read the stamping on the back of the block to confirm the year?

Well I'm almost positive the engine has been rebuilt, so I'm pretty sure the "4-98" stamping is the date that the bearings were manufactured. If I hold a new standard bearing up alongside this unknown bearing, the inner diameter of the unknown bearing is noticeably smaller. Unless someone knows what "85" means, it looks like I'll hafta borrow a micrometer and measure the crank...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would plastigauge it and see what the specs are.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I haven't seen .010-.020 or .030 Plastigauge in a long time. LOL

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek500 View Post
    I would plastigauge it and see what the specs are.

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Well I'm almost positive the engine has been rebuilt, so I'm pretty sure the "4-98" stamping is the date that the bearings were manufactured. If I hold a new standard bearing up alongside this unknown bearing, the inner diameter of the unknown bearing is noticeably smaller. Unless someone knows what "85" means, it looks like I'll hafta borrow a micrometer and measure the crank...
    Yep, 4-98 is the made date.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post

Thanks
    Randy
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Thanks
    Randy
    He said the rod bearings are standard and he has standard bearings, Thats why i said to plasticgauge them instead of running out to borrow a mic.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek500 View Post
    He said the rod bearings are standard and he has standard bearings, Thats why i said to plasticgauge them instead of running out to borrow a mic.
    He was joking.

I wasn't joking this time, Paul is trying to determine how much his crank has been turned. He has some new std. bearings and they are not thick enough and he was asking if the "85" on his used oversize bearings might indicate something. Plastigauge won't tell him that.

Paul, have you checked for stamping marks on the crank? Most times machine shops stamp how much cranks have been ground on the front counterweight, eg. M 010 T 010

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I wasn't joking this time, Paul is trying to determine how much his crank has been turned. He has some new std. bearings and they are not thick enough and he was asking if the "85" on his used oversize bearings might indicate something. Plastigauge won't tell him that.

Paul, have you checked for stamping marks on the crank? Most times machine shops stamp how much cranks have been ground on the front counterweight, eg. M 010 T 010

Thanks
    Randy
    So you weren't joking about having .010 etc undersize plastigauge? If not, I think you shouldn't be rebuilding engines,

Plastigauge WILL tell you if you have a turned crank based on the reading you get, just not how much its been turned.

I think the original question was how to determine how much his crank has been turned and he was going to borrow a mike to check.

You state plastigauge will tell him is it's been turned, just not how much.

Perhaps I shouldn't be rebuilding engines as you state but in the last 45 years of doing so I still havent found a use for .010-.020 or .030 Plastigauge.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    So you weren't joking about having .010 etc undersize plastigauge? If not, I think you shouldn't be rebuilding engines,

Plastigauge WILL tell you if you have a turned crank based on the reading you get, just not how much its been turned.
    Last edited by GLHS60; 10-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I think the original question was how to dertimine how much his crank has been turned and he was going to borrow a mike to check.

You state plastigauge will tell him is it's been turned, just not how much.

Perhaps I shouldn't be rebuilding engines as you state but in the last 45 years of doing so I still havent found a use for .010-.020 or .030 Plastigauge.

Thanks
    Randy
    Wow, you said you've never seen .010 etc plastigauge, and you LOL'd, and yes, we know they don't make it, I thought you were joking about it, but it seems you weren't. Interesting.

I guess you're just trying to bug me or perhaps you're a post more. I know Plastiguage is available for up to about .070, I just never found a use for 010-020 etc. myself.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, you said you've never seen .010 etc plastigauge, and you LOL'd, and yes, we know they don't make it, I thought you were joking about it, but it seems you weren't. Interesting.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I guess you're just trying to bug me or perhaps you're a post more. I know Plastiguage is available for up to about .070, I just never found a use for 010-020 etc. myself.

Thanks
    Randy
    ???????????? you LOL'd at your own post, I agreed and then you got pissy, so not being a post whore, just utterly confused.

I am done, sorry for the hijack.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 10-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.