Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 1990 Shadow VNT Comp Car

Garrett booster

Picked up a 1990 Shadow VNT Comp Car

I recently picked up Bill Baker's old Shadow, and am planning on getting it ready for Carlisle next year. Some parts are already ordered, much more to come.

Already ordered:

Magnaflow Cat Converter
    Magnaflow Polished 3 in. Muffler
    Strong Arm Hatch Struts

Planned:
    New wheels, not sure what yet
    Install new door panels, seats and outside window scrapers (already have)
    Install auto-dimming rear view mirror
    Replace Broken gauges (EGT, maybe more) and repair odometer.
    Change BOV for HKS, and new intake tube from the FMIC.
    Redo blue stripe on trim, and have pass. side rocker repaired and re-painted.

My main mission right now is researching the history of the car. I've read most of the basics, but am hoping that anyone reading this can add anything at all that they might know. I'm certainly curious to know what the approximate actual mileage of the car is, and at what point in its life the engine was built to its current state. Any other info is definitely welcome, good bad or indifferent. I've also submitted my app to the SDACNE. Some pics from last week are below.

turbo addict

Re: Picked up a 1990 Shadow VNT Comp Car

Nice ride!!

turbo addict
    Is it still a VNT car?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Congrats on the car. I would love a comp package shadow.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Is it still a VNT car?
    No, don't know who changed out or when it was changed out. It's a T3/T4. It's currently set to 18psi, I'd like to have it looked at though. It's making a TON of torque, but a bit higerh in the rev range than I would like. It's got a load of power, but I feel like I have to push it too far to get it. I'll post the most recent engine info I got on it below.

Forward Motion Super 60 ECM
    Menegon Ported and Polished Head
    MSD 6a Box and Blaster Coil
    255 fuel pump
    Turbonetics T3/T4 Super 50 trim with stage 2 wheel.

Not sure if the pistons/crank/rods are stock or different.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice purchase!
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Hybrid booster

Bill bought that car brand new, so he can give you the details of its first 20 years. He built that basic configuration way back in the late 90's, so it's had most of that stuff for over 10 years. He's on this site, maybe he'll see this post and will reply.

When you say "submitted your app for SDACNE", are you talking about the yahoo discussion forum?

Garrett booster

Yes. I've been accepted since. Now it's on with the projects. It's getting a new gas tank next Wednesday, and I need to install the poly engine mount I have for the front. It's shaking like a scared little girl right now. Then it'll be on to replacing the seats, door panels and carpet. Also gonna lay some sound insulation to make it a bit more civilized.

Hybrid booster

beautiful car
    What is the competion package ?

Garrett booster

The torque coming on strong higher up in the rpm band is most likely from the larger turbo. If it were the stock VNT it would be lower.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
    beautiful car
    What is the competion package ?
    The comp package was similar to the Daytona CS package. Got the "go" stuff on the car, engine trans and suspension. But in the base model body without any cladding or trim.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparjon2007 View Post
    The comp package was similar to the Daytona CS package. Got the "go" stuff on the car, engine trans and suspension. But in the base model body without any cladding or trim.
    The one giveaway for the Shadow comp package cars is that they received the rear wing from the ES and nothing else.

Hybrid booster

So 1.25 sway bar, rear disc brakes, 568 trans, TIV turbo and no AC, cruise control, power seat, electric windows ?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
    So 1.25 sway bar, rear disc brakes, 568 trans, TIV turbo and no AC, cruise control, power seat, electric windows ?
    No. Small front swaybar, solid rear rotors no power seats or windows. The CP VNT cars were identical to the ES VNT cars with the exception of no side skirts or ES body stuff, and a lot of delete this and that's. All CP VNT cars had manual locks, windows and seats. Most had AC though... mine has no rear defrost or under hood/trunk lights. The weight savings is really minimal when you think about it. 141 ES VNTs and roughly 30 CP VNTs were made. I have *TWO* reports 10 years apart from Chrysler that say 30 on one and 70 on the other report for CP VNT cars.

As for this car... it's been a favorite of mine for years. I have a bunch of dyno footage from it in it's heyday and a few runs at NED when it was a S60 car.

I'll let Bill tell the entire story... but from what I remember, the started as a S60 car, then got a lot of the FM hi-po parts afterwards. Then, when Gary's shop was in business, it got a Menegon head, a 50 trim turbo in a T-II cover with a S2 wheel and a shortblock with FM parts (JE pistons) Bill used to have a set of hand rubbed and polished 15" pumpers that looked like chrome. With the setup you have right now and in tune (with Gary's cal) it made 250whp on 15psi boost, and on something like 24 or so psi, it made 323 whp one year and then 344 whp on another with a bit more boost.

I'd personally keep the blue stripe as it's been like that forever as we all know it. Bill dubbed the car the "Regulator" And I think... because like my VNT car, we used to do a lot of street racing back in the day and put people in their places.

Bill is the current president of the NESDAC and I'm surprised you haven't met him yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Thanks,

This car is a part of history.
    VNT Shadows seems to be the rarest TD cars, only 171 made !

Garrett booster

I really appreciate all the info guys, this is great stuff. The blue stripe will still be there, I'm just gonna give it a fresh lease on life. Exhaust work is all done and sounds amazing. Gas tank is also in now. However, it now needs attention to the power steering and coolant, which are both leaking. Also, the turbo needs a gasket between the housing and the adapter that connects it to the exhaust down pipe.

I would love to get my hands on that set of pumpers that bill has from this car. I've emailed him previously but never heard back, I heard he's going through some stuff at home so I don't wanna nag him. I'll try and get a "build" thread going so I can let you guys see the progress on bringing her back to life again.

Quote Originally Posted by RIMoparGuy View Post
    I really appreciate all the info guys, this is great stuff. The blue stripe will still be there, I'm just gonna give it a fresh lease on life. Exhaust work is all done and sounds amazing. Gas tank is also in now. However, it now needs attention to the power steering and coolant, which are both leaking. Also, the turbo needs a gasket between the housing and the adapter that connects it to the exhaust down pipe.

I would love to get my hands on that set of pumpers that bill has from this car. I've emailed him previously but never heard back, I heard he's going through some stuff at home so I don't wanna nag him. I'll try and get a "build" thread going so I can let you guys see the progress on bringing her back to life again.
    IIRC, Bill bought the polished pumpers back from the guy who had the car at Cecil last year.

Great purchase. That car was always one of my favorites.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Ok people, been off the list recently. Bad stuff lately. One word divorce. Anyway I will fill in tonight as I'm at the NE chapter meeting in Maine. Good stuff coming...
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    Ok people, been off the list recently. Bad stuff lately. One word divorce. Anyway I will fill in tonight as I'm at the NE chapter meeting in Maine. Good stuff coming...
    Sorry to hear that Bill, best wishes and all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast