Thread: Very Angry About Clutch!!!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Thumbs down Very Angry About Clutch!!!

Hey, I have another thread about my clutch problem, but i wanted to post another one on this clutch disaster.. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6759 Anyways i just finished installing a brand new clutch cable (from the Dodge dealer) and my clutch still won't disengage! It will not go in any gears while running, and i know its not a clutch cable, clutch pedal adjuster problem, because i had someone push the clutch pedal in, and i put a bottle jack under the lever on the tranny, and it barely moved up any.. and i even tried firing it up with the bottle jack underneath and it still wouldn't go in any gear! What do you think would be causing this?
    Its a brand new T2/T3 hybrid TU clutch (small spline).I had the original flywheel resurfaced (seemed like a coarse cut, but i wouldn't know.. i could catch my fingernail on the crosshatch on the flywheel) I had a machine shop part of Napa resurface my flywheel for me. I am not very happy having to pull the motor and trans again. (if i have to) but if this is a flywheel problem i will make Napa pay for my time pulling the motor/trans again. Could my clutch disk be draging on the "coarse cut" resurfaced flywheel?

I am very pissed off about this because i cant drive it as a T2, and summer is almost over.. so much for going to a car show tomorrow.

Re: Very Angry About Clutch!!!

I had a BRAND NEW T3 clutch do that to me.. It was a bad pressure plate.. REally hard to convince the dealer you didn't cause it..

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

You didn't put the disc in backwards did you? If not it's probably the pressure plate. Either it got damaged during the install or was faulty from the factory.

I know for a fact i never but the disk on backwards.. i dont even think you could, because the pressure plate side of the disk sticks out lots, and it would hit the flywheel bolts before the disk would even touch the flywheel surface. Plus my disk even said "flywheel side". When i installed the pressure plate i turned the bolts in a 1/2 a turn each until it was tight and then torqued it down to 21ft/lbs. I never had a problem with the old clutch i put in before so i dont think its something i screwed up. Its either a pressure plate thats screwed up are the maybe the flywheel is not perfectly flat?

turbo addict

the clutch will still disenguage with a taco'd flywheel, i know this from experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Una
    I had a BRAND NEW T3 clutch do that to me.. It was a bad pressure plate.. REally hard to convince the dealer you didn't cause it..
    Was their anything visibly wrong with the pressure plate when you removed it? I would guess that my ctutch set would have the same pressure plate that you would get from the dealer ..which is made my SACHS.

turbo addict

My vote would be a bad pressure plate.....unless you have a shifter linkage problem of some sort.

As far as Napa reimbursing you for labor on that....let me know how that works out! LOL!

I just changed 3 (yes, 3!) AC compressors from advanced auto that all failed within 3 weeks of the install on my Mercedes. THey all failed in different ways (one clutch broke, one seized internally, one stopped compressing). I had to just about jump across the counter to get them to reimburse me for freon on the last one. I got a refund on the compressor and bought it elsewhere.....but labor? Forget about it. I had TWENTY FIVE hours into those A/C compressors!

Generally, parts stores will tell you to go screw....

hehehe, A Napa auto parts rep once told me, it takes 3 AC compressors to flush out an AC system.. hehehe.. Trying to convey how important it is to flush the system when you change an AC compressor..
    And yes, there are 3 little pairs of "straps" of metal holding the disc to the diamphram around the outside perimeter on the Sachs pressure plate. One of those straps had collapsed.. It was folded back on itself.. I didn't notice it for the longest time, till I lost another T3 PP in a catastrophic way, and all of those straps got obliterated (found 2nd after the top of 3rd on the dragstrip), then I went back and looked real close at the old PP and found one bent pair of straps.

Update

Hey, i just wanted to update everyone on the problem with my clutch. It looks like my pressure plate was damaged somewhere during the shipping proccess, and i never really noticed it until now.. maybe dropped at customs when they opened the box? One of the three straps that hold the friction surface to the pressure plate body had a a very little bend in it, and i am sure this was the problem with my clutch not disengaging.. Chris at Turbos Unleashed has been very helpfull! on this problem and has sent me a new clutch assembly to replace this damaged one free of charge. Nobody has to worry about the products Chris sells, because their top notch! And if their happens to be a problem he will help you through it.

Hopefully my Rampage will be running this weekend.

Thanks, Randy

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Great stuff!!!!!!

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Thumbs up It's in and it works!

I just wanted to let everyone know that my new clutch is in and works perfect! I got the clutch on Friday and stayed up until 4 in the morning, and put it all back togather. I drove around easy all day Saturday, and put about 300 kilometers on it. How much longer should i take it easy on the clutch? ..because i want to start raising the boost and adjusting my air/fuel ratio with my new AEM gauge.

Thanks again everyone for the help ..especially Chris @ TU!

Randy