Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Charger 5.2L

Hybrid booster

1973 Charger 5.2L

Hey guys

Good friend of mine back home on base converted to Mopar He traded his 3rd gen Supra for a '73 Charger with a 318. Being a Dodge nut since I saw a Viper when I was 9, he asked me what he could do to open her up a bit. I don't know much about the older Mopars other than the experience I've learned with helping my dad on his '66 Fury III(440), so I told him what I basically know for starters from what we've done on the Fury.. which isn't much aside from an MSD ignition and a cleaner carberetor. Finding an intake for dual carbs for an RB440 is hard to come by apparently lol. I even mentioned that I have a supercharger (old lysholm type, diesel cat engine) back in Texas thats been cleaned up, but I dont know how much we can put on the 318 or if it would handle it.. so that idea is tabled.

What kind of info can I forward to get a little more kick out of the engine? He's found a Middle Georgia Mopar club that he wants to join in on but he's waiting for me to get home so we can both show up, him in the Charger and me in my Omni

turbo addict
    Typical v8 stuff, start with Carb, intake and headers then go to cam/Springs. After that stuff you are looking at rebuild, then its pistons, rods, ect.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Re: 1973 Charger 5.2L

150 shot :P

boostaholic

If he is keeping the 318 I would recomend the Edelbrock Performer package, I've had good luck with that and my mpg went up.

couple of years ago, I think it was hot rod did a feature on building a budget/junkyard 318 with about 400 wheel. worth taking a google

boostaholic

^^ that was for the magnum motor... yeah if you do a cam intake a good carb... (like proform or quick fuel etc) camshadft and if hes feeling froggy a set of heads.... now what will wake the whole car up alot is going to like a set of 3.73 gears ar even if its got enough trans, 4.10 gear... also beef up the trans... just a B&M shift kit will work wonders and if he can push the funds a bit more... and new converter... i had a coan 3800 stall in my76 cordoba and wow what a differance!!... the most single part differance i felt in that car...

Hybrid booster

Do 340 heads interchange for the 318? I know the newer 318/360 in trucks are basically the same block. Also know, or have heard, that if a 383 was sourced then 400 and 440 heads can be put on there. This is a 318 though, I'll stop digressing How much would dual carbs and a tunnel ram do for it, or just a tunnel ram with a 650 or so work? Headers I'm sure can be sourced pretty easy and he said its already got dual glasspacks underneath. I want to say its an auto which suggests to me he may have the 727 torqueflite.

I've heard good things about purple comp cams, springs are something to be learned still. I've never had to work on freeing horsepower from V8's

boostaholic

don't bother with dual quad unless you plan on 2 325 CFM 4 bbls... just a 600 or a 650... if he goes hirise id run the 650ish to fill the volume... you will be amazed what a good intake carb and a purple cam will do to that motor... im sure the 340 will bolt up as they are both LA blocks however i can't attest to if they work or work well on 318 cid....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    don't bother with dual quad unless you plan on 2 325 CFM 4 bbls... just a 600 or a 650... if he goes hirise id run the 650ish to fill the volume... you will be amazed what a good intake carb and a purple cam will do to that motor... im sure the 340 will bolt up as they are both LA blocks however i can't attest to if they work or work well on 318 cid....
    Great info to know! Carbs are alien technology to me lol.

I also just read on Allpar.com that 360 heads bolted to the 318 block lowers the compression to 7.2:1, not very good for performance unless you get the block shaved. 7.2:1 would be ideal for supercharging though correct? Just pitching out ideas

turbo addict
    I think 340 heads keep the compression though but you need to notch the cylinder for valve clearance.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Great info to know! Carbs are alien technology to me lol.

I also just read on Allpar.com that 360 heads bolted to the 318 block lowers the compression to 7.2:1, not very good for performance unless you get the block shaved. 7.2:1 would be ideal for supercharging though correct? Just pitching out ideas
    or nitrous!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Do 340 heads interchange for the 318?
    The heads from a 340 will physically bolt on but the head chamber is huge ( open chamber ). Not a good combination. 318 is a reliable motor but will be pressed to move that big heavy car. 360 swap would be the way to go.

Actually I would go with the newer 5.7
    Last edited by karlak; 09-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    The heads from a 340 will physically bolt on but the head chamber is huge ( open chamber ). Not a good combination. 318 is a reliable motor but will be pressed to move that big heavy car. 360 swap would be the way to go.

Actually I would go with the newer 5.7
    I've seen the new motors in the old cars. I dont think it's as cool or impressive as having an original motor in the car, but thats just me. Friend suggested putting one of the 5.7L's in it and its his decision ultimately lol. I'm guessing the 360 motor is out of the trucks? I only know of the 318, 340, 383, 400, 426, and 440 engines in the old muscles, never heard of a 360 being stock in a car.. unless I need to read more :/

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

My .02. Install some better heads, either from a 360 (common) or a 340 (almost the same, but not common), next you'll need an intake that can keep up so I'd probably put an Edelbrock Performer RPM on with this carb: http://www.holley.com/0-80670.asp It's big enough to feed whatever the heads will do, and but the vacuum secondaries won't let it bog. It also has a bunch of "tricks" already done to it, like a quick (read easy) change secondary spring, so you can get it to "come on" like it ought to, if it doesn't already. Holley did a good job on this one.

You'll also want/need a cam/springs, nothing crazy here, it's just that the factory 318 cams are pathetic, but not quite as pathetic as the heads... Actually, for what it was intended to be, they work very well together, but for those that want power above 2500, they leave MUCH to be desired.

A good flowing exhaust/headers will round out the power-plant quite nicely, a pair of 2.5" pipes would probably be overkill, but I probably wouldn't go smaller than 2"...

Even after all these upgrades and the power you'll have, if the rear-end is numerically very low, it won't feel like much, so do check to see what's "out back"... I'd suggest something in the low "3s", 3.23:1, etc. 3.73:1 may get annoying if you drive at highway speeds much, unless you want to install an OD trans, then it's going to be much more liveable, and better mileage!

Finally, if it's still not quite fast enough, a mild shot of nitrous, say 50-100HP should put a big smile on your face...

Beyond this, the bottom end is going to not be happy, so a purposeful rebuild would be in order.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would NOT put any 340/360 heads on a 318, the bore is simply too small and it lowers the compression ratio into pathetic realm.

As above, the stock cam sucks so that has to go. If you want to put heads on, then put some Magnum 318 heads on, they flow and you'll retain your compression and you can get a kit to reuse your OE valve covers to keep the old look.

360's came in some cars and trucks, they virtually bolt in except IIRC, the passenger mount is offset but you can use the stock 318 one with some shims, I did that, lol and the TC is balanced differently so again, IIRC, you take the weight off the 318 converter or get a 360 converter.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

easy path is to ditch the 318 for a 360 or better a new hemi and a 4 speed auto. I'd dig up the hot rod article mentioned eariler. When you swap the cam, you'll have to do the springs anyway, and you might as well swap for some ported cast iron heads from aerohead (read indy cylinder head's budget line) and some sealed power flat tops to get the compression up. Run a performer RPM air-gap and a holley, rub some timing in its face and go.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

5.9 Magnum, A500 trans, keep the efi. Cheap and easy to find, bolts in mostly. If its not enough, ported RHS heads and an M1 efi intake.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

I'm assuming there's not a huge budget so I'd keep it simple . Provided the motor's still healthy do a freshen up valve job & mill the heads for a true 9:0 compression ratio , put something like a Comp 262 Extreme cam & advance it a few degrees , install a performer RPM (you might gasket match the intake port on the head) & throw a TQ on it (they're like free) then curve the distributor for 38 degrees total advance at around 2k & add a decent exhaust system . I'm guessing that car has an 8 1/4 axle so it shouldn't be too hard to j-yard a 3.5 or 3.9 ring & pinion .

It's hard to go very quick with such a heavy car & tiny engine, but a combo like this should be under a grand & get you in the 14's with a good tune.

If you have a bigger budget, F' it, do this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsscD7nNdo

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post

If you have a bigger budget, F' it, do this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsscD7nNdo
    Bigger budget, I think that's the cheaper route,

So screw any mods, just bolt on a turbo and some headers, better intake and be done with it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Bigger budget, I think that's the cheaper route,

So screw any mods, just bolt on a turbo and some headers, better intake and be done with it,
    That actually sounds more like us. Turbos are pretty much a must have with our cars lol, his 3rd gen supra was pretty awesome

So a 360 would probably be the preferred route for the car? Power wise and modification wise?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast