Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '87 Shelby Z, 2.4 swap

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Block, rods and pistons went to the machine shop yesterday

Got a question, are the SRT cranks different from the regular 2.4 crank? I would think they are but not sure. Not sure if the standard 2.4 crank is gonna hold up to 400+ hp.
    It's more of a model year break than turbo or non turbo. Different reluctors. People have made tons of power on NA cranks before factory turbo 2.4 cars existed.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: '87 Shelby Z, 2.4 swap

So the SRT crank and the NA crank are both essentially the same strength-wise? I forgot about the crank trigger difference, thanks for the reminder. That will make me have to stay with the early crank.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

I remember reading articles that said that the turbo cranks had some sort of special treatment, but I don't know what it was, or if it were true.

Anyway, I've seen broken cranks, but only as a result of a piston or rod failure 0r something else. The cranks are not a weak point.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

FWIW myself and JT are using early NA 2.4 cranks. As for the hydro clutch I think I will be going that route this winter. The benefit to me is the ability to set consistent release rates at launch with a restrictor valve trigger by the LC.

Get the SRT4 oil pump, oil pan, water pump and associated gaskets. The oil pump can still shatter with detonation from the crank harmonics but it is possible to use. There are a few vendors selling coated modified gears to rectify the problem. Also 7.5:1? Even the TDs aren't that low. Get that puppy up to at least 8.5:1.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    FWIW myself and JT are using early NA 2.4 cranks. As for the hydro clutch I think I will be going that route this winter. The benefit to me is the ability to set consistent release rates at launch with a restrictor valve trigger by the LC.

Get the SRT4 oil pump, oil pan, water pump and associated gaskets. The oil pump can still shatter with detonation from the crank harmonics but it is possible to use. There are a few vendors selling coated modified gears to rectify the problem. Also 7.5:1? Even the TDs aren't that low. Get that puppy up to at least 8.5:1.
    I agree... and it really doesn't make sense to mill the crap out of the block and/or head to get there. Get the right pistons for the job.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I have some JE SRT .020 pistons we could chat about!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I have some JE SRT .020 pistons we could chat about!
    I'd be interested, but I'm actually thinking of going 9:1 or higher.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'd be interested, but I'm actually thinking of going 9:1 or higher.
    Well I was going to use them for me but might go a different route, figured Rob might want them instead of messing around.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Are the SRT pumps better? Will the coated gears fit the Stratus pump? Or does the SRT pump flow more?

Got any ideas on how you are gonna do the hyd clutch?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

So I got the .020" over JE SRT-4 pistons from Simon, they are at the machine shop w/ the block now but I need to know the piston-to-wall clearance for JE's. From what I can tell .004" seems to be what's recommended, can anybody verify?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Are the SRT pumps better? Will the coated gears fit the Stratus pump? Or does the SRT pump flow more?

Got any ideas on how you are gonna do the hyd clutch?
    The SRT4 oil and water pump flow more than the stratus version. I don't know if the gears will fit in the stratus housing but my guess is no as they are completely different pumps. As for the clutch I am looking into a Wilwood MC and Tilton HTOB. A different option would be using a Wilwood SC on the clutch arm and modifying the arm to suit the cylinder stroke.

turbo addict

As for the clutch I am looking into a Wilwood MC and Tilton HTOB. A different option would be using a Wilwood SC on the clutch arm and modifying the arm to suit the cylinder stroke.
    I know I've seen this done in our community. It works. I don't remember exactly who did it, but it was early 2000's I saw the pictures.

Yeah I seem to remember someone doing that also, can't remember who though.

Also, I found this:

https://fueledracing.com/products_detail.php?itemID=311

Pretty expensive, but nice. Also, could probably build a less fancy/non-adjustable version fairly cheaply. Only thing I don't like about something like that is the chance of it leaking inside and getting all over the carpet...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I know I've seen this done in our community. It works. I don't remember exactly who did it, but it was early 2000's I saw the pictures.
    Ya, I saw a guy on the org do it and liked the idea. I need to do some more measuring to see if what they have will work.

Yeah I seem to remember someone doing that also, can't remember who though.

Also, I found this:

https://fueledracing.com/products_detail.php?itemID=311

Pretty expensive, but nice. Also, could probably build a less fancy/non-adjustable version fairly cheaply. Only thing I don't like about something like that is the chance of it leaking inside and getting all over the carpet...
    I don't know if a bottom mount assembly would work very well in our cars without some serious floor modification. I've been looking at a remote reservoir system with plans to keep the MC inside the car and mount the reservoirs outside. I'd also like to make some kick @ss aluminum pedals.

Yeah mounting a small master inside the car would be pretty easy I think. Line could go out through the clutch cable hole, maybe the reservoir hose too. I guess clutch MC's aren't generally prone to leaking. May have to go take a look under the dash tonight and see about this...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12