Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project 4.4L shadow quattro

Re: Project 4.4L shadow quattro

With the two engines with the auto trans in our shadow (Wisconsin car) you really didn't notice them shifting individually. I guess if you sat there and specifically counted you may be able to feel multiple shifts but it was pretty smooth between the two motors. Our car was two bone stock high mileage TI's on 9-10 #'s and it went mid 13 at 104 I think. Yours should do muck better

turbo addict

Updated crackbook pictures. It's public, so have a look at some progress pics. I really wanted to make it look a little sleepier, so I went for the stereo look. Still no road test yet. It's been to the bottom of the driveway and quickly spun all 4 wheels on the way back up, there's so damn much to do that it's really taken a back burner.

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.stirr...8522440&type=3

Benji, it MUST do better, it ran mid 12's with one engine lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

THIS IS SO AWESOME!

The FMIC takes away from the sleeper look. Hide that bad boy!

turbo addict

At one point a couple years ago, I tried to hide it with black paint and until I drove it in an impromptu rally on gravel roads, it held up, but now, what you see is what you get. Small update, no pics.... I went around the block and visit ed a couple friends last week and found the rear suspension was not good enough, so a new pair of struts and springs for the front and putting the rear springs minus 1 coil on the back seems to do the trick. I'm still working on a flexible and compressible exhaust for the front engine where it goes under the rear k frame so that's in the works. Other than that, alignment is due in 2 weeks when the spring settle down and then hopefully the exhaust is here. Then I'll start making boost beyond 6 psi

turbo addict

are there videos? want to hear sounds of two engines!!

turbo addict

I'll get there, but it sounds like watching 2 turds racing each other.

turbo addict

A little update.
    I had to change my struts and cut off 1 coil to get the correct rear ride height. While doing that, I noticed the rear trans mount was on a bit of an angle and reset that. To do that, I had to remove a pretty big part of the frame to clearance the transmission transfer gear area. Not enough to be a structural issue ( I hope) because I really feel I built the framework far larger, beefier and stronger than I thought it ever needed to be.

So speaking of hefty framework, I rolled over to the nearby weigh scale and my shadow, with me and a full tank of gas and some tools are a solid 1790 Kg or 3942 lbs! What a fat a$$ car!! It actually weighs 40 pounds MORE than my buddy's 91 Caprice after his weight savings.

I got the front exhaust completed all the way to the bumper and the tailpipe bent to look just like the rear tailpipe, so it's got two 2.5" tailpipes side by side and it kinda looks like the factory tips, but larger and straight out instead of on an angle.

She managed a drive a few towns over to visit some friends and get an alignment without much issue, but the car is HOT. I mean inside and under the rear engine compartment. I need to work on some ducting and fans to keep the rear "under hood" temps down. They were at 108F when the ambient temp was about 78F. The heat gets pushed into the passenger compartment, so even with the windows down, I was sweating like a mad man.

On the way home, the rear engine took a nap (lost ignition feed) and the rear trans mount needs another look at. It's a passenger engine mount from a gen 1 neon and it's almost pulled the rubber out of the metal that surrounds it. The good news is, the ignition (key) is grounded through that mount and the wire is broken, so the ground is an easy fix.

Tomorrow, the trans mount gets a re-do and I'll work on some ducting.

Side note, I pulled off the road to look into a noise (nothing major) and I pulled into a gravel parking lot that was empty and fairly large. This thing does some of the best, tightest donuts you've ever seen an all wheel drive shadow do.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    This thing does some of the best, tightest donuts you've ever seen an all wheel drive shadow do.
    I believe its actually some sort of crime to do this, mention it, and then not post videos of it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    This thing does some of the best, tightest donuts you've ever seen an all wheel drive shadow do.
    VIDEO or it didn't happen!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Another update. It's been driven to work and back without much issue a few times now, round trip about 60 miles. Still fighting a rear engine overheat on the hyway, but maybe shrouding and possibly larger fan will cure that. The rear suspension is improved by straightening the tie rod angle and pivot point so it's pretty flat.
    I'm prepping for a few hours on the dyno to sort out a safe set up for each engine in the very near future. This should include a back to back TU cam swap on the front engine (because it's easier to work on) and hopefully see some improvements. A new pair of tires are in the works as well as a hitch mounted tire carrier for slicks later this summer I hope. Pictures, videos and all that good stuff coming soon.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Pretty sweet!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The old link does not work for me. Would love some detailed pics of your rear suspension and motor mount setup.

turbo addict

Sorry, I'm not sure why the album wasn't public, so the links should work for you now. The rear suspension IS the front suspension, the passenger motor mount is stock, the front motor mount is not pictured, but modified to work within the engine compartment, and the driver's (trans) mount is the passenger engine mount from a 95-99 neon,

turbo addict

LONG Update:
    Didn't make the dyno on time due to a fuel pressure regulator o ring splitting at work, and no parts store had one until I searched for an hour, so I was late to the dyno. Once there, We set the rear wheels on the dyno to sort out the rear engine first. Fuel pressure was set exactly where the front one usually is for full boost driving (44 psi) and it was SUPER rich, so it was backed off to nearly 32 psi before it was reading normal mid 11's air fuel ratio. I'm still at a complete loss why the fuel pressure requirements are so different. My wide band and the dyno wide band both read the same. After that, we held it wide open and it would break up around 4000 rpms. We suspect a coil, after trying plugs, and plug gaps, and more advance. Then I flat out ran out of time on the dyno. I have swapped coil front to back and have yet to go give it hell because it's bloody hot out this past week.

To battle the overheating, I added an air deflector that sits too low and shrouded the fans. It gets to 228F maximum on a 75F degree evening. If it's hotter out, it gets to just over 230. I've added synthetic oil to help keep the engine protected. Once I slow down to even 55mph, it keeps under 215F The slower I go, the cooler it runs. I'm planning to add a small radiator from a motorcycle in series to help keep it a little cooler.

The weather cooled off this past Saturday night and I went to a car show about 45 minutes East of me. Lots of interesting cars and trucks, all drivers, not trailer queens, and most of all, a very cool, older crowd. I drove out there with a buddy and his srt-4 and promptly cleared off my air deflector on the first available speed bump. It dragged a bit, I got out to push it back up, and did that 2 more times on 2 more sets of speed bumps. How embarrassing.... Had I came in the other entrance, there's no speed bumps. ARG! Live and learn. Well, the srt-4 and I pulled into a spot, I opened my hood, trunk and propped up the engine cover and went to find a cold drink. Upon returning, there was a small crowd of 10-15 people all around my shadow. They had 2 basic questions. "How does all this work together?" and that was quickly followed up with "Why?" They weren't mean and didn't make smart comments, as I've heard at car shows before. They were blown away that with one engine it ran low to mid 12's and can't wait to hear how it'll do with both working together. Lots of kudos, hand shakes, thumbs ups and confused looks.

Still working on the overheat and repairing the mangled air deflector, but it was so nice to get it out and end up in a crowd of people who appreciate the work and love of the car. There was quite a line up by the road to see it leave. It left a smile on my face all weekend.
    Last edited by shadow88; 07-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12