Thread: Quick spool spark retard?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quick spool spark retard?

I am told that the quick spool cals actually retard ignition timing to achieve the quick spool effect. What happens to make it do that? What is the principle behind it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Re: Quick spool spark retard?

Much hotter exhaust temps.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

If you retard the timing far enough, you can actually open the exhaust valve before the combustion is finished, pushing it into the exhaust manifold. The gases expanding in the manifold spool the turbo quickly.

Right now, it's pretty simple. If the boost is below target, the amount of retard is proportional to the difference from the boost target. I'm working on improving the logic behind it, though. I'm starting with the launch control portion, but I'll add a separate quick-spool option, too, similar ot the current with improvements. In addition, I hope to a add a shift-without-lift option...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sweet,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I am planning on trying to set the launch control switch to the clutch. I don't have a use for the clutch switch, being that I don't have cruise control and I have the starter on a push button. Then I will set the mph of launch control to just under FF. At that point, any time I have the clutch in, it should drop to the lower rev limit.

If this works, the code for NLTS can be based off the clutch. All you need to do at that point is to set two different limits, one for under a certain mph, and one for over a certain mph. When the clutch is engaged it decides which limit to go to based on the vehicle speed so you get launch control at a low speed, and NLTS at a higher vehicle speed. With the clutch engaged it goes back to regular rev limits.

We should already have a clutch input on the ECU. I don't know where that is or how it works, but I know if you push the clutch in you can make the cruise control stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly27 View Post
    I am planning on trying to set the launch control switch to the clutch. I don't have a use for the clutch switch, being that I don't have cruise control and I have the starter on a push button. Then I will set the mph of launch control to just under FF. At that point, any time I have the clutch in, it should drop to the lower rev limit.

If this works, the code for NLTS can be based off the clutch. All you need to do at that point is to set two different limits, one for under a certain mph, and one for over a certain mph. When the clutch is engaged it decides which limit to go to based on the vehicle speed so you get launch control at a low speed, and NLTS at a higher vehicle speed. With the clutch engaged it goes back to regular rev limits.

We should already have a clutch input on the ECU. I don't know where that is or how it works, but I know if you push the clutch in you can make the cruise control stop working.
    The 91+ have s clutch switch I think. The earlier cars do not. I think they must sense the increasing rpm to cut the cruise.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Does the quick spool also require WOT.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Since we are on the quick spool topic, i use a msd 3step module and have a 3200 rpm pill. When i activate the switch and floor it my wideband reads 17.0 afr while making 6psi,
    just curious what others have noticed ?

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Does the quick spool also require WOT.
    Yes, except when staging...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

i too use MSDs modules... and when i would 2 step i was always pig rich... are you using it WOT???

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    i too use MSDs modules... and when i would 2 step i was always pig rich... are you using it WOT???
    Yup sure do, i was looking around on other sites and they have the same results i got. I just wanted some more info.

Thanks Brian

Which side of the coil does the MSD cut? If it cuts the GND, then it shouldn't go lean. But, if it cuts the +, depending on where you wired it in, it might cut the injectors too. The ASD supplied the +12V for the fuel pump, the coil, and the injectors. So, if you wire the MSD at the ASD +12V, then I can see why you might go lean when it's staging. That would be spark+fuel cut (+fuel pump cut). Maybe not such a good idea.

Sorry, I don't know much about using an MSD with the these cars...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict
    2 step will usually always show lean unless you also retard timing. Without retard the oxygen is unused and is pushed out the tailpipe with unburnt fuel the O2 sensor picks up the unused oxy and shows lean. In a setup that retards the timing the same thing happens but now the spark is happening with the exhaust valve open, this ignites the unburnt fuel/oxygen in the manifold creating lots of heat to spool the Turbo, this shows up as rich on the wideband and shoots the egts up.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.