Thread: help me with boost control on my Tsmec and Boost button cal

turbo addict

Wink help me with boost control on my Tsmec and Boost button cal

I have burned chips and cals for about 4 years now and i feel like i am getting the hang of the timing and fuel side of it.

I have tried using it to control the boos and it just doesnt seem to want to work. I have it set up like the diagram on my hood and it just always runs 11 psi all the time. I have found that moving the restrictor will change the boost but then it is a constant 4 psi .

I also had a friend just call me saying he is having the same problem. He puts a stock ecu in runs 12 psi, puts in a boostbutton.com cal and the boost is stuck at 7.

Any ideas on what we have wrong or what to check.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: help me with boost control on my Tsmec and Boost button cal

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I have burned chips and cals for about 4 years now and i feel like i am getting the hang of the timing and fuel side of it.

I have tried using it to control the boos and it just doesnt seem to want to work. I have it set up like the diagram on my hood and it just always runs 11 psi all the time. I have found that moving the restrictor will change the boost but then it is a constant 4 psi .

I also had a friend just call me saying he is having the same problem. He puts a stock ecu in runs 12 psi, puts in a boostbutton.com cal and the boost is stuck at 7.

Any ideas on what we have wrong or what to check.
    Which cal, which version, what template did you start with?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

baisically for me it is with either cal i have tried it on the 2.5L 135 or 105? and the g-head one they all seem the same. so it seems like i have something wrong with the vacuum route or the solenoid.

My Friend was hitting me up for some ideas with one you burned for his 88 lebaron. His stock T2 ecu reads 14 psi and the boost button reads 7-11 he says. I would guess it is not a cal problem but something we have wrong.

To me it seems like the solenoid is not flowing enough, maybe the restrictor is to big?? But i have tried different ones i have found, (don't know what sizes) What is the stock restrictor size?
    Suggestions??

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Depending on the base cal you are running, T-I or T-II depends on how you are going to run your waste gate solenoid. If it's T-I it acts more like a bleed where T-II is on/off to the waste gate. I ran into that problem when I wanted to plumb in the solenoid instead of using the g-valves. I assumed Rob would use the T-II method in his Turbonator cal but I was wrong. Because he based it on the '89 Caravan cal which is T-I, I had to plumb it in as a bleed and it worked.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Depending on the base cal you are running, T-I or T-II depends on how you are going to run your waste gate solenoid. If it's T-I it acts more like a bleed where T-II is on/off to the waste gate. I ran into that problem when I wanted to plumb in the solenoid instead of using the g-valves. I assumed Rob would use the T-II method in his Turbonator cal but I was wrong. Because he based it on the '89 Caravan cal which is T-I, I had to plumb it in as a bleed and it worked.

A.J.
    THe SMEC cals now have both, but you have to select which one to use. T1 is default. And, it may need setting up based on what engine/turbo you're using. The T2 boost control is setup for a 2.2 Garrett.

If you only get 7psi, it's because the WGA is always seeing manifold presure. So, the system must be plumbed wrong for the type of computer contorl. Also, you can have it plumbed apparently correctly, but have the ports on the WG Solenoid backwards which would also make it not work correctly.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict
    Ok thanks guys i know on my van it is plumbed right. I will have to try to check my cal settings. Maybe give the T2 style a whirl.

turbo addict
    Can anyone tell me which port the vacuum hose should be connected to for T1 control! The top or the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Can anyone tell me which port the vacuum hose should be connected to for T1 control! The top or the middle?
    It depends on the solenoid. For the T1 style BC, the solenoid needs to be normally closed to the WGA, and open to atmosphere when powered. The T2 BC needs to be plumbed nomally closed between the manifold and solenoid, WGA vented to atmosphere; and open between manifold and WGA when powered.

I've been meaning to make up some diagrams for the 2 types, maybe even the VNT, showing the plumbing, and how the duty cycle tables work. Maybe I can do that next week...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

So if i understand this right the T1 needs to have the Solenoid Normally closed so all the boost goes strait to the WGA and the computer keeps the solenoid open to bleed it off to control boost??

If that is the case mine was wrong, cause that is different than my vac diagram, but that could be because there has been so many swaps over the years.

turbo addict

I played around alot with this with little luck so i switched from the g head cal to the 139 template with T2 style control and it seems to work i will need to adjust the desired boost to see if it changes to know for sure