Thread: Help with MPTune

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Help with MPTune

None of the images pull up.

Are you trying to flash a cal?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Yes I was trying to flash a Cal. I'll see if I can get the photos to show up

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

hmm, usually the 0xff byte is "consumed", i.e. there is not a return byte (as noted back in 2013 above!! :-) ). the 0xff is used by the ecu to switch baud rates. have you tried logging using mpscan? it does not require all the complexities of reading/flashing. just pick the rpm or tps gauges for starters. if you can scan then you should be able to flash and we can verify that the cable/wiring is correct.

also, post up the file noted above. you posted the mpt2boot.txt file (which does help also. thx).
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

No I haven't done anything with mp scan I'll give it a try tonight. Tonight I'll also post the other file and try to get the photos I posted to work

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    None of the images pull up.

Are you trying to flash a cal?
    The images should be up now

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    hmm, usually the 0xff byte is "consumed", i.e. there is not a return byte (as noted back in 2013 above!! :-) ). the 0xff is used by the ecu to switch baud rates. have you tried logging using mpscan? it does not require all the complexities of reading/flashing. just pick the rpm or tps gauges for starters. if you can scan then you should be able to flash and we can verify that the cable/wiring is correct.

also, post up the file noted above. you posted the mpt2boot.txt file (which does help also. thx).

Here is the other log,

-Comport analysis for mptune version 2.0.5.9
    -Locating ports on computer-
    name:USB Serial Port (COM6) deviceid:FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+BB1UBXN8A\0000
    number of ftdi devices found - 1
    ftdi port num:COM6 serial num:BB1UBXN8
    Inverted tx:True Inverted rx:True
    Vcp driver loaded:True
    Latency is set to:16
    checking to see if usb port number COM6 is a moates device
    Moates device not located on this port
    default com port set to:COM6

everything looks good (other than i would change the latency to 2 vs 16). so, it must be in your wiring or the ftdi cable has a problem. in mptune, under com port is a quick test you can do to see if the cable works. just short the tx/rx and then see if you get anything back. i'ld try mpscan to see if you can log. if you can't you either have wires switched or some other electrical issue. i assume you have a working smec and the vehicle runs? you only need 3 wires on the ftdi cable/sci connector - tx to rx, rx to tx and gnd to gnd. don't have anything else hooked up for now.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead153 View Post
    Ok so I went through the instructions and checked everything, I think I have the setting right but I'll post the screen shots just in case I missed anything

these are the prompt messages I'm getting,

This is the log

-BootSerial routine-(Called from LoadBoot)
    Using Boot Program Modular BootLoader for MP Tune - BootMainAll
    total bytes returned on switch-on were 1 at 19:26:39.4767902
    return byte 1: 0
    boot download routine is started.
    boot baudrate = 7812
    hi speed rate = 62500
    sent FF byte
    total bytes returned after sending 0xff were 1
    return byte 1: FF
    sending boot program. length = 256
    Boot send start time 19:26:41.4924870
    Boot send finish time 19:26:41.7268137
    Boot reread finish time 19:26:43.3674713
    done sending boot program. bytes returned = 0
    read timeout set to 1640
    bytes returned were:

baud:7812 bytes received:0
    Boot downloaded failed due to not all bytes being echoed back for confirmation
    ------------------
    Can't write chip because boot program is not running properly
    ------------------
    Go here:

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...id=cable_setup

Scroll down about halfway to the heading titled "Setup the USB to SCI cable". Follow those instructions to make sure your cable is setup properly.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I haven't been able to do anymore with mptune or scan because when I was trying to set up mp scan my labtop slid off the front of the car killing the hard drive in the fall .

Dropped it off at a repair shop yesterday so once I get it back I'll get back to it.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead153 View Post
    I haven't been able to do anymore with mptune or scan because when I was trying to set up mp scan my labtop slid off the front of the car killing the hard drive in the fall .

Dropped it off at a repair shop yesterday so once I get it back I'll get back to it.
    Ugh.
    I hope you are back in business soon, and that doesn't hurt the wallet too badly.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Ok $200.00 and a new solid state drive and I'm back in business! So I went through the info again and went through all my settings. I found a discrepancy, on the mptune thread it says to turn off the load d2xx and on the boost button website it says to have it on just curious which one it is. I tried multiple times with either setting and still the same result. I'll post the log below. Also I watched the 2 vids on the mpscan thread, I setup some gauges and tried it on the car and got nothing back. Is there away to turn it on to work or will it just start on its own when the car running? Also when I hit the record button it says something to the effect that its not connected and to turn the key on and off again.

**FROM THE MPTUNE THREAD**
    -click "hardware specific" group

-make sure the load d2xx drive is NOT checked
    -click the "invert rs232 signals" group
    -make sure the invert txd and invert rxd boxes ARE checked.

**FROM THE BOOST BUTTON PAGE**
    http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...a=loadd2xx.jpg

-Comport analysis for mptune version 2.0.5.9
    -Locating ports on computer-
    name:USB Serial Port (COM6) deviceid:FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+BB1W9ENVA\0000
    number of ftdi devices found - 1
    ftdi port num:COM6 serial num:BB1W9ENV
    Inverted tx:True Inverted rx:True
    Vcp driver loaded:True
    Latency is set to:2
    checking to see if usb port number COM6 is a moates device
    Moates device not located on this port
    default com port set to:COM6

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    everything looks good (other than i would change the latency to 2 vs 16). so, it must be in your wiring or the ftdi cable has a problem. in mptune, under com port is a quick test you can do to see if the cable works. just short the tx/rx and then see if you get anything back. i'ld try mpscan to see if you can log. if you can't you either have wires switched or some other electrical issue. i assume you have a working smec and the vehicle runs? you only need 3 wires on the ftdi cable/sci connector - tx to rx, rx to tx and gnd to gnd. don't have anything else hooked up for now.
    Yes the car runs drives and does everything it's supposed to. Is there a way to check the diagnosis port in the car? I took some pictures of the cable I have and I took a picture of the 2 terminals shorted (to make sure I had the correct ones) and tried the test on mptune and it came back with a message the said no bits returned.

if you are not getting an "ok" message back then there is something wrong with the cable wiring or the windows com port settings. and the load d2xx driver box MUST be checked (as well as checking the load vcp driver in windows setup). you may want to look at just getting another ftdi cable and trying that..... or undue the connections at the board and test the cable that way.

I guess I could undue the connections but as you may have noticed I'm not good with electronics lol. So that basically means that this cable has been bad since new and the cause of all my swearing and anger towards my car....awesome... I would like to just buy a new one in that case. Where do I get one now that BB is no longer around?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

i would first look at the cable and make sure the connections are all good. perhaps a wire came loose or something simple. and before i bought a new cable i would unsolder the connections and test the cable itself just to make sure. if the cable works without the connection board you can simply solder some spade terminals on the three wires (rx, tx, gnd) and hook it up directly. no reason to spend money on a new cable if you don't need to.

Ok I'll dissect the one end and see what's up.

So I disected the cable from the board and once I got the hot glue off All the wires were still connected to the board. I used a soldering iron to release them and shorted the orange to the yellow and did the port test and it works. So I guess the board is where the fault is. Gonna put some spades on and give it a shot hopefully it works! The first picture was the message I was getting with the wire intact. The second picture is after I disected the cable.

great. it's too bad you can't use the board. it's got some nice protection features on it. maybe rob L could give you some pointers on what to test to see if you could ID the issue.

Protection features? Like what? should I not plug into the car with out it? I was finally able to flash the smec for the the first time! I was ecstatic!! I made changes to the Rev limits to easily identify that there was a change made. ( which there was ).

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

That's a gen 1 board. It's NFG (no freakin' good). It had a bad trace. I thought I recalled them all and replaced them. Sorry, I don't have the 'good' boards anymore. But, you should be able to 'fix' it by removing the resistor and diode. You don't need those for the SMEC anyway. They're only there for flashing the SBEC.

For the SMEC, the board is really just a convenient way of connecting the Rx, Tx and GND wires without having to think about it.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234